[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ohhh Dukies...

detlef

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, from bad to worse. Ed Davis has a broke bone in his wrist. He's done for the year. Zeller out. T. Wear out. Now Ed Davis. It's just not meant to be for the Heels this year.

You know what, it's not like we were going anywhere anyway. With him and Zeller out, this is going to put the focus outside and that's exactly who needs to work. Strickland, McDonald, and co. should see more PT as they trend towards 3 guard sets and maybe they'll develop for next year. Same with Henson.

I'll trade having Davis lead us on a medium deep run (mind you, I understand that was well off the table by now) and then leaving for the pros, for having everyone back next year plus some talented new blood for a chance for a really deep run next year.

You know what, it's not like we were going anywhere anyway. With him and Zeller out, this is going to put the focus outside and that's exactly who needs to work. Strickland, McDonald, and co. should see more PT as they trend towards 3 guard sets and maybe they'll develop for next year. Same with Henson.

I'll trade having Davis lead us on a medium deep run (mind you, I understand that was well off the table by now) and then leaving for the pros, for having everyone back next year plus some talented new blood for a chance for a really deep run next year.

always loved the tradition of UNC, but NOTHING is better than watching ole Roy lose and start his whiny chit. Great coach WITH the best players and rolling the ball out for them, but one of the most overrated in game coaches ever IMO, but he has always rubbed me the wrong way going back to his choke job days at Kansas............ his Haiti comments, crying about how great his guys are like no other team in America has good kids........ today heard him droning on about all his incredible NBA offers today on a radio broadcast, gee Roy, letting everyone know how awesome you are when your current team sucks!!! well done

as for the Dook/UNC argument, one thing is for certain,

Coach K is 10 times the coach Roy W is

always loved the tradition of UNC, but NOTHING is better than watching ole Roy lose and start his whiny chit. Great coach WITH the best players and rolling the ball out for them, but one of the most overrated in game coaches ever IMO, but he has always rubbed me the wrong way going back to his choke job days at Kansas............ his Haiti comments, crying about how great his guys are like no other team in America has good kids........ today heard him droning on about all his incredible NBA offers today on a radio broadcast, gee Roy, letting everyone know how awesome you are when your current team sucks!!! well done

I'll give you this, K is way funnier in an interview and, as much as it pains me to say it, I'd rather have dinner with the guy than Roy. Not the least of which is the fact that I've been told that Roy is the most unadventurous diner alive, but that's another story.

I'll also agree that that ol' Roy has not done any favors for himself this year, starting with the debacle of kicking that guy out of the game, and going on to some of his overstatements.

All that said, Scoreboard, at least given the framework of the modern game certainly points to Roy over K. Until K shows he can excel given the current playing field, and he hasn't, it's hard to look past the fact that Roy has 2 titles in the last 5 years. And he doesn't have any sanctions hanging over him, which is nice. It's all a package deal and these guys need to be judged on the whole package. Part of being a great college coach is being able to bring in top shelf recruits without getting in trouble. And dude is very, very good at that.

On another note, I meant to post this after reading the local paper. There was an article today basically complaining that the weak ACC was keeping Duke from getting consideration for a #1 seed, because they weren't getting the chance to rack up wins against reputable teams. Are you freaking kidding me? Duke can thank the fact that the ACC sucks balls this year that they're even in the top 10. They're head and shoulders the best team in the ACC this year but, even my friends around here who are Duke fans aren't fooling themselves into thinking that means a damned thing.

Yes, I too tire of Roy's schtick, but he's here for his coaching, not for his charm, and the guy hung 2 banners in 5 years.

1. Throwing the fan out of the game was absolutely wrong.

2. The Haiti comment was absurd.

3. This year the team has adopted "NBA style" player introductions. They turn out the lights, bring the band down on the court, and fire up the audio-visual system. I hate it. Even if the team was good, I would still hate it, but no team deserves such ridiculous hype less than this team.

4. In general, anytime Ry gets a mike put in his face he's a liability, and the more he improvises, the worse it gets. He should just answer the questions asked and shut up.

As for his in game coaching, I will disagree. I'll admit, that K is a master at drawing up an offensive or defensive set on the fly, and I give his teams credit that they can execute a system never having seen or practiced it before. Obviously, this translates very well to in-game success. Roy makes his adjustments at halftime. He does not attempt to make these kinds of adjustments on the fly. But he does make them.

I'm not sure what to say about this year's team. Roy has dealt with difficult personalities before and had success. The group that won "05 was dysfunctional when he arrived, and he pulled their poopy together in 2 years. Personally, I think he's got multiple issues piled on one another this year, and just too many personnel issues to be able to deal with. This team has serious issues with fundamentals. Add to that the personality problems of both seniors and freshmen, and you've got the disaster that is the "10 Tar Heels.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Who would've thought Duke would be the last #1 seed standing?

When Scheyer told Mrs. K before senior night that his best memory at Duke hadn't happened yet he was right.

Hats off.

As much as I'm still amazed (as is pretty much every Duke fan I talk to here in Durham) by the draw they were given, only UK was ultimately derailed by a team that was "better" than they should have had to face to get out of their region. Neither 'Cuse or KU made it far enough for that to be an excuse. You can only play the team in front of you and Duke did so and did so well. I missed entirely the Purdue game and only caught the second half of the Baylor game at a stopover in Houston yesterday, but Duke did what Duke does. Got to the offensive glass, played solid team D, made FTs, and hit clutch 3s. Those couple in a row where they made clutch 3s off of offensive rebounds were murder.

IMO, WVU is the team that Duke should have been playing in the regional finals, and we'll get to see that game anyway. If Duke takes care of business next Saturday, then even that argument is laid to rest. There's one thing very admirable about Duke (primarily about K), they simply don't lose to teams with significant flaws. It's the old adage, good teams win the games they're supposed to.

Oh, and Timmy. Please send your stats so I can mail your winnings. Congrats.

Congrats Dukies. What a crazy year.

If you need something else to get excited about, one of my regulars who works for Duke radio says he was watching Kyrie Irving (sp?) playing horse with one of the other incoming freshmen last month and was doing circus dunks in street clothes (read, pants so baggy that he had to hold them up between shots) and untied shoes. Now, the purists among us might wish the kid had enough sense to wear proper clothes and tie his shoes, but you can't argue the athletic ability.