[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's done

budlitebrad

Source: Pacquiao agrees to 50-50 split

Comment Email Print Share

By Dan Rafael

ESPN.com

Archive

Manny Pacquiao has signed a contract to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr. in boxing's biggest fight on March 13, a source with knowledge of the meeting told ESPN.com on Friday night.

Arum and Pacquiao met for two hours Friday to discuss the proposed deal, according to Pacquiao adviser Michael Koncz, who told the Associated Press that "Manny has some additional requirements, requests, which Arum didn't think was a problem. The requests of Manny were so realistic that Arum doesn't feel it's a problem and it's pretty much a done deal."

Later Friday it became a done deal, at least on the Pacquiao side, when he signed the paperwork, the source said.

Mayweather had previously agreed to terms with Golden Boy Promotions, his promoter for the HBO PPV fight, but it was unclear if he had signed a contract.

The source also disclosed other aspects of the fight, which will take place at the welterweight limit of 147 pounds for Pacquiao's title and match the top two fighters in the world, pound-for-pound.

The camps agreed to a 50-50 split of the money, which could be gargantuan. Many experts expect the fight to eclipse the all-time pay-per-view record for sales, which is the 2.44 million buys generated by Mayweather's 2007 victory against Oscar De La Hoya.

Both fighters will wear 8-ounce gloves but each fighter will be allowed to select the brand of gloves he will wear for the fight.

For promotional purposes, the bout will be referred to as Mayweather-Pacquiao, but Top Rank will receive first billing over Golden Boy throughout the promotion.

However, instead of a full-scale media tour, there will only be a single press conference in New York during the second week of January. With the schedule compressed because of the March 13 date for the fight, rather than May 1, which the promoters and HBO PPV preferred, it didn't leave time for a lengthy media tour.

The fight is going to take place March 13 because Pacquiao is running for a congressional seat in the Philippines and the elections are in May, which would have been a conflict between his training and the campaign.

Pacquiao will spend the first half of his training camp in Baguio in the Philippines, where he also trained for the first part of his camp in preparation for his 12th-round knockout victory against Miguel Cotto on Nov. 14. For the final few weeks of his training, Pacquiao and trainer Freddie Roach will relocate to Roach's Wild Card gym in Hollywood, Calif.

The site of the bout has not been finalized. Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has expressed interest in bringing the fight to his new stadium as have representatives from the Superdome in New Orleans. Also in the mix is the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, which has hosted several Pacquiao and Mayweather bouts. Arum has also received a proposal for a 30,000-seat temporary stadium on the Las Vegas Strip across from the Wynn resort.

This is going to be good. :wacko:

That will probably be his strategy. He will bob and weave and try to point his way to victory. Dude is lightning quick so it may just work.

No way. You can't run from Pacquiao, he's like a rabid dog. This is the exact kind of fighter that Floyd won't be able to handle. Probably my two favorite fighters of this era. If you try to beat Pacquiao on points you're going to end up slaughtered. If Manny is going to lose anytime soon, it is going to be from a puncher, much like Cotto. Mayweather is a thinker, but Manny just doesn't give you time to think. I would have Mayweather as a favorite over anyone else in the world right now, but this fight isn't going to be close.

As a bonus, I'm going to be in the Philippines for this fight. I've heard the atmosphere there during a Pacquiao fight is just incredible. They say "even the criminals take the day off for a Pacquiao fight". That is going to be a pretty cool country-wide party.

That will probably be his strategy. He will bob and weave and try to point his way to victory. Dude is lightning quick so it may just work.

That is what bores me about Floyd. While his goal is to get a win his fights are usually boring. He is tremendous on D . I hope Manny carries the excitement because Floyd sure wont

• 2 weeks later...

Oh no!! Are they really going to pull the plug on this?

Is Floyd in the wrong for requiring Manny to take a blood test, or is Manny in the wrong for refusing it? It seems to me that if you have nothing to hide, you take the test, but boxers tend to have strange principles. Manny has gained about 1/3 of his body weight in the last ten years. That seems like an awfully high, maybe even suspect amount. Best case scenario is that he takes the test and passes it, but I'm not sure how likely that is.

Promoter Arum calls Pacquiao-Mayweather dead

Dec. 24, 2009

CBSSports.com wire reports

Presented by Epson

LAS VEGAS ---Promoter Bob Arum declared the megafight between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. dead on Thursday, though efforts continued to find a compromise to a dispute over blood testing.

"It's over," Arum said. "O-V-E-R."

Arum set a Thursday deadline for an agreement on testing, the only issue not resolved for the planned March 13 fight. But with the Mayweather camp still insisting on using the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency to conduct the tests, Arum said there wasn't much left to discuss.

"They're viewed by the Pacquiao side as being partisan," Arum said, referring to the USADA. "He doesn't want to use them. I don't want to use them. They're so inflexible they can't be used."

Despite Arum's statements, there were some talks through intermediaries to try and salvage the bout. Neither side, though, appeared to be backing off its position on the biggest dispute: Who will do the testing?

Arum said he planned to move forward by having Pacquiao fight on March 13 against Paul Malignaggi, a flashy but light-hitting boxer. He said there was still a chance Pacquiao and Mayweather could meet later in the year.

"As far as I'm concerned the fight is over," Arum said. "Can it be revisited in the autumn? We'll see."

Mayweather's representatives could not be immediately reached for comment, but Arum said an effort on Thursday by HBO Sports chief Ross Greenburg to reach a compromise had failed. There were still other talks going on between the two sides, but the odds of the fight happening were dimming with each day.

At the core of the dispute was the insistence of the Mayweather camp of using Olympic-style drug testing for the fight, even though both fighters have never been linked to any performance-enhancing substances. Under Nevada state regulations, boxers are generally only tested just before the fight and in the dressing room afterward, and only urine is given.

Mayweather's camp wants blood tests that can find things urine tests can't, such as use of human growth hormone, and they want them done by USADA from the time the fight is signed until the fight is held. Pacquiao's side has agreed to both urine and blood testing, but doesn't want testing immediately before the fight because Pacquiao believes giving blood so soon before a fight will weaken him.

A possible resolution that had been discussed would allow USADA to do limited testing. That would likely not be accepted by USADA because it wants to set an example that all athletes should be subject to random and unannounced testing at any time.

The fight was expected to be the richest ever, with both fighters earning $30 million to $40 million, depending on television sales.

If this is true it sure doesn't make Pacquiao look good. If Mayweather is willing to do this, what does Manny have to hide?

Mayweather will win if the fight happens. What does Paqman have to hide?

Sadly, I agree with this. While I would pull for manny bigtime I think Floyd would bore us to tears with a conservative display using his tremendous D and speed to outpoint Manny . Floyd will take no chances

I tend to side with the guy who has shown no evidence of ever using PEDs compared to the guy who has ducked top competition and cherry-picked opponents for years. Pac has agreed to 3 blood tests, but that isn't good enough for some reason. Floyd wants to f with his head, but Manny refuses to jump through his hoops.

• 2 weeks later...
I tend to side with the guy who has shown no evidence of ever using PEDs compared to the guy who has ducked top competition and cherry-picked opponents for years. Pac has agreed to 3 blood tests, but that isn't good enough for some reason. Floyd wants to f with his head, but Manny refuses to jump through his hoops.

I smell smoke.

Paq's team asked if a positive test could be kept secret? What a joke. I root for absolute failure. Paqman is a bitch.

This was in the Strib today but comes from out west...

A picture is worth a thousand words. So let's make a visual out of the current state of boxing.

Close your eyes and remember. October 1993. Las Vegas. The land is needed more than the building, so they fill the venerable Dunes Hotel on the Strip with dynamite, push a button and it implodes.

January 2010. The good ol' USA. No dynamite, just stupidity and ego. Same thing happens. Boxing implodes.

Last Sunday, promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank announced that Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines will fight Joshua Clottey of Ghana. The fight will be March 13 in the Dallas Cowboys' new football stadium.

Later that same day, Richard Schaefer of Golden Boy Promotions announced that Floyd Mayweather Jr. would fight an opponent to be determined. The fight will be March 13 at the MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas.

Yes, these are the two premier boxers in their sport.

Yes, they were supposed to fight each other.

And yes, that fight was supposed to be on March 13.

The world anticipated that one. Wallets and checkbooks were open. Sponsors were lining up. The estimated $60 pay-per-view tab even seemed reasonable. The bout would put boxing on the front pages next to the likes of Lakers and Dodgers, and in the same breath with them on the nightly newscasts.

This was a big deal, and then it wasn't. The fight was off. Mayweather's camp implied that Pacquiao must be enhancing his performances with drugs because he got so big and so good so fast. Pacquiao, with no credible hint whatsoever of any such activity, was offended, eventually said he wanted no part of the Mayweather camp and even sued for defamation.

Keep in mind that each fighter was to be guaranteed $25 million, and the likely final take for each, with projected pay-per-view revenue, was closer to $40 million.

In the end, this was an impasse the size of the Grand Canyon.

Then boxing made it worse...

Unreal :wacko: