[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Final BCS Standings

muck

Here's what happend this weekend.

#1 FL got beat pretty badly by #2 AL

#2 AL beat #1 pretty handily

#3 TX won a VERY sloppy game over #22 NE

#4 TCU sat on their butt watching TV

#5 CIN beat #15 PIT on a last second play after being behind most of the game

#6 BSU beat NM State to finish the regular season undefeated (again)

#7 Oregon beat OState in a tight game

While the margin of victory won't be factored into the computer rankings, the voters may consider it... so....where do teams end up?

Well, heading into the weekend, the following teams had #1 votes in the following polls:

AP Poll: FL (46 votes), TX (7 votes), AL (7 votes)

Harris: FL (53 votes), TX (3 votes), AL (3 votes)

Computers: FL (3 1st places in the computers), AL (3 first places in the computers)

What do we know?

* 46 FL votes in the AP poll will go to AL, TX, TCU, CIN and/or BSU; possibly a few of the seven TX votes will migrate to other schools with their performance today; most of the 46 FL votes will go to AL and it will leapfrog over TX to #1

* 53 FL votes in the ESPN poll will go to AL, TX, TCU, CIN and/or BSU; possibly a few of the three TX votes will migrate to other schools, too; most of the 53 votes from FL will go to AL, who will leapfrog over TX to #1.

=> The breakdown of these subjective individual votes will have a big impact on how this shakes out? Will voters penalize TX for not playing very well? Will CIN drop below TCU or BSU in any of the polls they were ahead in because of their narrow victory? How far will FL drop -- they may not drop past TCU / CIN / BSU --- possibly not dropping past #3.

* AL will go to #1 in all six computer polls. FL will drop, but not sure how far. After FL and AL, heading into the weekend, CIN was barely ahead of TX who was only a little more ahead of TCU who was a ways ahead of BSU (0.900 / 0.890 / 0.860 / 0.800).

My speculation:

AL will have most of the 1st place votes in both the AP and ESPN polls; TCU and TX will have about the same number, CIN will have a few votes and BSU may have one (but probably not).

The computers will have AL first, followed by CIN, TX, TCU, FL and BSU (in that order), all pretty tightly bunched.

AL will play TX for the NC game.

CIN and TCU will be nearly tied for 3rd / 4th

FL will be 5th, barely ahead of BSU at 6th

Edited by muck

Not sure what you were watching but that wasn't a sloppy game at all...2 VERY good defenses playing almost flawlessly.

Great game that came down to the very last second...

Should have said it another way. Maybe:

"The #3 team in the country was only barely better than the #22 team in the country. Are they deserving of their ranking at #3, much less are they deserving of being ranked #2 based on what we saw from them against the #22 team in the country?"

Should have said it another way. Maybe:

"The #3 team in the country was only barely better than the #22 team in the country. Are they deserving of their ranking at #3, much less are they deserving of being ranked #2 based on what we saw from them against the #22 team in the country?"

It was for a conference championship....not just another game, for the conference!! Understanding that many do not know how hard these are to win, trust if USC had to beat Oregon, Cal or another top Pac ten team or OSU had to beat MSU or PSU after running the table, there would be some upsets.....ask Florida.

It was for a conference championship....not just another game, for the conference!! Understanding that many do not know how hard these are to win, trust if USC had to beat Oregon, Cal or another top Pac ten team or OSU had to beat MSU or PSU after running the table, there would be some upsets.....ask Florida.

I understand what muck is saying. Florida got creamed - in a conference championship game, #1 v. #2. Texas barely won, v #22. There is a difference.

After watching Nebraska shut down the Longhorns last night there is no doubt in my mind that TCU would beat them by 10+ points. IMO, the Champioship game should be Bama vs TCU - right now those are clearly the 2 best teams in college football and I think Boise St would beat both Texas and Cincinnati.

That doesn't change the fact that the #3 team in America needed a long FG with no time on the clock to beat a team not ranked in the top 20. Never mind the fact that they were a half second away from not even getting a chance to kick that FG. I'm sorry, but I watched that game and that was not one of the best two teams in the country last night. Two great Ds playing flawlessly? Um, Nebraska can't score on anyone. That was Nebraska D, mainly Suh, playing out of their heads and shutting down a vaunted Texas O.

What should have happened if Texas was truly elite is that Nebraska would have managed to cobble together about as many points as they did, but Texas should have been able to score at least 20. Not as much as usual, considering how stout the black shirts are, but certainly more than they did.

Mind you, I'd prefer that it simply be survive and advance but as long as we make this thing a beauty pageant, then beauty does matter. And that Texas team I saw last night ain't a beauty.

Texas ran the table and has stayed ahead of all teams being discussed all year. No one should jump them. How anyone can suggest they be penalized for playing a 13th game and winning it is irrational. And seeing as how Cinci won in basically the same fashion they have no "statement victory" this weekend to leapfrog anyone, except MAYBE TCU.

That being said, I'd hate to see TCU, Boise and Cincinnati matched against each other in any form. Sure, Cin v TCU would assure them a #2 or 3 spot but I'd like to see them against the Big Ten and Pac Ten conference winners. It'd help mid majors more in the future if they pulled off victories in those macthups.

Texas ran the table and has stayed ahead of all teams being discussed all year. No one should jump them. How anyone can suggest they be penalized for playing a 13th game and winning it is irrational. And seeing as how Cinci won in basically the same fashion they have no "statement victory" this weekend to leapfrog anyone, except MAYBE TCU.

That being said, I'd hate to see TCU, Boise and Cincinnati matched against each other in any form. Sure, Cin v TCU would assure them a #2 or 3 spot but I'd like to see them against the Big Ten and Pac Ten conference winners. It'd help mid majors more in the future if they pulled off victories in those macthups.

FWIW, I didn't intend to go so far as to say UT should be jumped and, like you said, it's not like UC did any better. My comments had more to do with bonedaddies' comments that implied UT looked anything but shaky in that game. For that matter Bama didn't look so hot vs Tenn or Auburn, neither of whom would be confused as elite.

However, I will comment on your 13th game point. It cuts both ways. The 13th game has helped teams leapfrog idle ones by virtue of providing them a chance to beat a top quality opponent and pad their resume. If that's the case I think it's only fair that looking mediocre in a 13th game against a less than great team could be held against a team.

However, I will comment on your 13th game point. It cuts both ways. The 13th game has helped teams leapfrog idle ones by virtue of providing them a chance to beat a top quality opponent and pad their resume. If that's the case I think it's only fair that looking mediocre in a 13th game against a less than great team could be held against a team.

That's fair, but as I said even a shaky win doesn't mean an idle team should jump them at this point. Had Cinci blown up Pitt there'd be a large debate for sure that I would understand. But no idle 12-0 team that is done until the bowl games should jump a team that goes 13-0 the weekend they pull that off. Doesn't make sense in this BCS era. If Nebraska was 6-6 and unranked there might be some wiggle room, but not a 9-3 Nebraska team. Show them some respect.

After watching Nebraska shut down the Longhorns last night there is no doubt in my mind that TCU would beat them by 10+ points. IMO, the Champioship game should be Bama vs TCU - right now those are clearly the 2 best teams in college football and I think Boise St would beat both Texas and Cincinnati.

I dunno - while Cincy didn't look great in beating Pitt they have more quality wins and a better resume than TCU...

how about an 8 team playoff.....

G Tech vs Bama

Oregon vs Texas

Boise vs TCU

Cincy vs FLA

That's fair, but as I said even a shaky win doesn't mean an idle team should jump them at this point. Had Cinci blown up Pitt there'd be a large debate for sure that I would understand. But no idle 12-0 team that is done until the bowl games should jump a team that goes 13-0 the weekend they pull that off. Doesn't make sense in this BCS era. If Nebraska was 6-6 and unranked there might be some wiggle room, but not a 9-3 Nebraska team. Show them some respect.

Well, I do agree that this particular win should not be held against UT. At least compared to what else had gone down. The thing is that a team should also not be penalized for not having a game scheduled that weekend, which sort of seems like what you're implying. Cinci didn't play any more games than TCU or anyone in the Pac 10 or Big 10. They just had their last game of the year scheduled the same weekend as the Conference Championship games.

If OSU, for instance, was undefeated and ranked 4th behind Bama, FL, and UT, then destroyed a better Mich team than we've seen lately, but say, still ended up 4th behind the other 3 going into this weekend, and then UT puts up an effort like they just did... I could easily see idle OSU getting the nod.

TCU vs Little Boise in the Fiesta :wacko:

Sorry but does anyone really care who wins that game. Gotta think more people will tune into LSU vs Penn State game.

I was really hoping to see TCU play Florida and Boise play Cincy, as I think both of the small schools could win those match ups. The small schools playing each other proves nothing. I want to see the small schools play schools from BCS conferences. Basically the selection committee put the two stepchildren in their own room to to play to protect their favored kids. I'm really disgusted about this.

I dunno - while Cincy didn't look great in beating Pitt they have more quality wins and a better resume than TCU...

G Tech vs Bama

Oregon vs Texas

Boise vs TCU

Cincy vs FLA

As a Bama fan, I would love to see this.

I was really hoping to see TCU play Florida and Boise play Cincy, as I think both of the small schools could win those match ups. The small schools playing each other proves nothing. I want to see the small schools play schools from BCS conferences. Basically the selection committee put the two stepchildren in their own room to to play to protect their favored kids. I'm really disgusted about this.

I agree. However, the excuse comes from a monetary perspective in that the bowls do often consider things like how well a team will travel especially when that travel is cross country. And the truth is, without hosting the NC game, draw is the really the only thing that matters.

As an Iowa fan, I wanted TCU, as a pie in the sky match up that didn't really have a hope of happening unfortunately. I wanted no part of Boise State, because that is a complete no-win situation (ask Oklahoma) . Georgia Tech is a good squad, and would give anyone fits in a playoff situation (as would Iowa, but I'm satisfied knowing that many of you continue to underestimate Iowa, one of the few Big Ten teams that don't poop their pants in bowl games when faced against the big bad mighty SEC) .

Orange Bowl had to take Iowa though, they've been getting the wrong end of the plunger the past couple years getting some lousy match ups. In 2002 Iowa brought half the state of Iowa to Miami for the game vs USC. The state of Florida loves the Hawks. That's just how it works out with these bowl games.

And the truth is, without hosting the NC game, draw is the really the only thing that matters.

True dat. Case in point, The Gator Bowl chose a 6-6 FSU squad to play WVU(who always travel well)instead of choosing either Miami or Clemson. Great storyline here with BB's last game and it was sold out in under 2 hours. Cha-ching!

Orange Bowl had to take Iowa though, they've been getting the wrong end of the plunger the past couple years getting some lousy match ups. In 2002 Iowa brought half the state of Iowa to Miami for the game vs USC. The state of Florida loves the Hawks. That's just how it works out with these bowl games.

This surprised me as well. But I believe the fact of the matter is that we had too many undefeated teams left. If Boise got left out, then you would have heard the bloody murder screams for sure.

Edited by jaxfactor

G Tech vs Bama

Oregon vs Texas

Boise vs TCU

Cincy vs FLA

It's just so easy. Those 4 games would still be "bowls" (Rose, Fiesta, Sugar, Orange) and then you'd pick one, two or three more sites; for semi-finals and finals. Simple. But nooooooooooo.... :wacko: