[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

kelly named notre dame head coach

buddahj

Tim Prister

IrishIllustrated.com Senior Editor

Brian Kelly is the new Notre Dame head football coach.

Kelly, 48, who led Cincinnati to a 33-6 record in three seasons, including back-to-back BCS bids in 2008-09, reportedly signed with the Irish Wednesday evening and then told his Bearcat players the news Thursday afternoon.

The team's football banquet, scheduled for 5 p.m. ET, was closed to the media in a decision announced Thursday afternoon.

Kelly becomes the fifth Notre Dame head football coach since Lou Holtz's 11th and final season with the Irish in 1996.

Kelly, an Everett, Mass., native, has a 53-22 career record in six years as a FBS head coach, including a stop at Central Michigan from 2004-06. Prior to that, he accumulated a 118-35-2 mark in 13 seasons as head coach at Division II Grand Valley State.

There has been no official word on his coaching staff with the Irish, although both Bearcat coordinators-Jeff Quinn, who also doubles as offensive line coach, and Bob Diaco, who coaches linebackers-are expected to join Kelly at Notre Dame.

Other Bearcat coaches expected to come to Notre Dame are defensive line coach Mike Elston, quarterbacks coach Greg Forest, and strength & conditioning coach Paul Longo.

Tony Alford, who coached running backs for the Irish in 2009, is a candidate to remain on the staff under Kelly, although he also is a candidate for the running backs job at Florida.

Receivers coach Rob Ianello, who was placed in charge of Notre Dame's operations following the firing of Charlie Weis, accepted the head coaching position at Akron University Thursday.

Kelly attended St. John's Prep in Danvers, Mass., and was a four-year letter-winning linebacker at Assumption College. He and his wife, Paqui, are the parents of three children-Patrick, Grace and Kenzel.

Kelly could be introduced as the next head coach at Notre Dame as early as Friday morning.

Edited by buddahj

I heard Kelly was pro-choice? :wacko:

I guess they just have to look the other way and lower the standards when it comes to football.

So, if Notre Dame can honor the division of church and football, why can't everyone else honor the division of church and state?

The Cincy players were very upbeat last night at the annual banquet. They believe in themselves and feel thay can overcome the loss of BK. The OC, Jeff Quinn, will coach the team in the Sugar Bowl so the continuity will be there. As for BK, almot everyone clsoe to the program stated that they understand his decision, but have a problem with the way he did it. He always preached to his players and the good citizens of Cincinnait the need to be truthful. Well, I guess that does appy to him. He used his political experience to evade and distort when the topic of ND came up. I am forever gratefulto BK for what he has done for our program, but his legacy is somewhat tarnished by the way he handled this situation.

The Cincy players were very upbeat last night at the annual banquet.
:wacko:

The news didn't play well with Kelly's current team. Bearcat players were led into a meeting room, where Kelly told them he was leaving and thanked them for making his opportunity possible. One minute into the meeting, the door opened and receiver Mardy Gilyard walked out angry and alone, save his MVP trophy.

"He went for the money," Gilyard told The Associated Press. "I'm fairly disgusted with the situation, that they let it last this long."

Players weren't told of Kelly's decision until the banquet ended, nearly three hours after the news first broke. A few blinked back tears as they left.

"We already knew what he was going to say. We weren't giving him a round of applause or anything," tight end Ben Guidugli said. "It's like somebody turned their back on us. We brought this whole thing this far. We've come this far. To have someone walk out now is disappointing."

Offensive coordinator Jeff Quinn will coach the Bearcats (No. 3 BCS, No. 4 AP) in their first Sugar Bowl game against Florida. Quinn has been one of Kelly's assistants for 22 years, moving with him from Grand Valley State to Central Michigan and Cincinnati.

The 47-year-old Kelly was 34-6 in three seasons at Cincinnati, leading the Bearcats to back-to-back Big East titles and two straight Bowl Championship Series berths. The Bearcats set a school record last season for victories with an 11-3 record, then topped that with a 12-0 mark this season.

Players had assumed from Kelly's statements to the team last week that he was staying in Cincinnati.

"I don't like it," Gilyard said before the banquet. "I feel there was a little lying in the thing. I feel like he'd known this the whole time. Everybody knows Notre Dame's got the money. I kind of had a gut feeling he was going to stay just because he told me he was going to be here."

Quarterback Tony Pike said Kelly told them last week, before their title-clinching win over Pittsburgh, that he was happy in Cincinnati.

"The Tuesday when we were practicing for Pittsburgh, he said he loves it here and he loves this team and loves coaching here and his family loves it here," Pike said.

The Cincy players were very upbeat last night at the annual banquet. They believe in themselves and feel thay can overcome the loss of BK. The OC, Jeff Quinn, will coach the team in the Sugar Bowl so the continuity will be there. As for BK, almot everyone clsoe to the program stated that they understand his decision, but have a problem with the way he did it. He always preached to his players and the good citizens of Cincinnait the need to be truthful. Well, I guess that does appy to him. He used his political experience to evade and distort when the topic of ND came up. I am forever gratefulto BK for what he has done for our program, but his legacy is somewhat tarnished by the way he handled this situation.

It shouldn't be a surprise. On a smaller scale, he did the same thing when he left Central Michigan. Of course leaving Central when playing in the Motor City Bowl isn't the same as leaving Cincy playing in a BCS bowl.

Cincy fans can be legitimately upset with Kelly to some degree. That being said, if the past is any indicator, the Bearcats will be better for having had Brian Kelly associated with their program. Both Grand Valley and Central Michigan have maintained a high level of excellence in their programs after Kelly departed, with Grand Valley playing for another DII national championship this weekend and Central owning its second MAC title in three years. And it's not like those programs were powerhouses before he took over. I don't know what his secret is, but the guy seems to build programs in a way that is lasting. Contrast that to the Michigan State experience with Nick Saban. They were good when he was there, but the Spartans got real mediocre real fast after Saban left.

Cincy fans can be legitimately upset with Kelly to some degree. That being said, if the past is any indicator, the Bearcats will be better for having had Brian Kelly associated with their program. Both Grand Valley and Central Michigan have maintained a high level of excellence in their programs after Kelly departed, with Grand Valley playing for another DII national championship this weekend and Central owning its second MAC title in three years. And it's not like those programs were powerhouses before he took over. I don't know what his secret is, but the guy seems to build programs in a way that is lasting. Contrast that to the Michigan State experience with Nick Saban. They were good when he was there, but the Spartans got real mediocre real fast after Saban left.

LSU maintained after Saban. :wacko:

Brian Kelly had a choice. If Notre Dame wanted him he could have told Notre Dame that he would accept the job but he was going to finish the season on the Bearcat sideline. Those kids busted their A$$ for him all year, gave him an undefeated regular season and he can't commit enough to those kids to coach their last game in a quest for the perfect season? POS in my book. He was offered the job ONLY because of what those kids did on the field for him. He owed them more than that! I'll never forget his words at the PC in South Bend where he said "there's being a college football coach and then there's being a coach at Notre Dame? It's that kind of arrogance that turns so many people off about Notre Dame. I understand there's great history there but come on, this program hasn't been relevant in 20 years!!!

I just wish Notre Dame was on Cincinnati's schedule next year ..... can you imagine the juice those kids would be playing with?

Edited by theprofessor

Brian Kelly had a choice. If Notre Dame wanted him he could have told Notre Dame that he would accept the job but he was going to finish the season on the Bearcat sideline. Those kids busted their A$$ for him all year, gave him an undefeated regular season and he can't commit enough to those kids to coach their last game in a quest for the perfect season? POS in my book. He was offered the job ONLY because of what those kids did on the field for him. He owed them more than that! I'll never forget his words at the PC in South Bend where he said "there's being a college football coach and then there's being a coach at Notre Dame? It's that kind of arrogance that turns so many people off about Notre Dame. I understand there's great history there but come on, this program hasn't been relevant in 20 years!!!

I just wish Notre Dame was on Cincinnati's schedule next year ..... can you imagine the juice those kids would be playing with?

I agree with this 100%. It doesn't surprise me that ND wouldn't do anything but look after themselves but it was up to Kelly to to put them off until after his season was finished. If ND really wanted Kelly they would have waited until the season was over. Lack of class in my book.

It dawned on me last night how close Cinci was to playing the the fake NC game and how that could have impacted this whole thing. Say the Texas kid misses that kick or what-have-you. Would Kelly have ditched his team before the BS Championship game?

It dawned on me last night how close Cinci was to playing the the fake NC game and how that could have impacted this whole thing. Say the Texas kid misses that kick or what-have-you. Would Kelly have ditched his team before the BS Championship game?

I doubt it, but things are what they are.

Blame this BS on (1) the NCAA's refusal to have a playoff and (2) the February signing date. Kelly knows that they way the system is set up, he will pretty much NEVER be able to win a national championship even if his teams have perfect seasons. He also knows that he needs to start recruiting ASAP for Notre Dame.

(Of course, I am still furious that Kelly bailed on GVSU. shades: How dare he leave us for some place better.)

It doesn't surprise me that ND wouldn't do anything but look after themselves but it was up to Kelly to to put them off until after his season was finished. If ND really wanted Kelly they would have waited until the season was over. Lack of class in my book.

Um, Kelly did the same thing when he got Central Michigan to a bowl game and I don't think Cinncy felt too bad when they had a coach on board right away. Karma? What goes around comes around? Was Cinncy classless when they pulled the C. Michigan coach away from it's players before their bowl game? You can say that it wasn't a BCS game he left before, but that speaks nothing to class.

The only way he stays in that situation is if he had a big $$$ incentive in his contract with Cincy for making it or winnng the BCS NC.

Um, Kelly did the same thing when he got Central Michigan to a bowl game and I don't think Cinncy felt too bad when they had a coach on board right away. Karma? What goes around comes around? Was Cinncy classless when they pulled the C. Michigan coach away from it's players before their bowl game? You can say that it wasn't a BCS game he left before, but that speaks nothing to class.

If I recall correctly (and I may not be) I think Kelly coached Central Michigan in their bowl game and then left to coach Cincinnati in its bowl game.

But your main point is good. How can Cincinnati be pissed that its coach moved on to someplace better when he did the same thing when he came to Cincinnati.

If I recall correctly (and I may not be) I think Kelly coached Central Michigan in their bowl game and then left to coach Cincinnati in its bowl game.

But your main point is good. How can Cincinnati be pissed that its coach moved on to someplace better when he did the same thing when he came to Cincinnati.

I don't follow Central Michigan football but according to Wiki, he did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Kelly_(...football_coach)

2006: In his third season, the Chippewas posted a 9-4 record under Coach Kelly en route to winning the MAC Championship and qualifying for the Motor City Bowl. At the end of the 2006 season, Coach Kelly left to accept the Cincinnati coaching vacancy three days after CMU won the 2006 MAC Championship. He did not coach CMU in their bowl game. Coach Kelly's record at Central Michigan in three seasons was 19-16.

• 2 weeks later...
Brian Kelly had a choice. If Notre Dame wanted him he could have told Notre Dame that he would accept the job but he was going to finish the season on the Bearcat sideline. Those kids busted their A$ for him all year, gave him an undefeated regular season and he can't commit enough to those kids to coach their last game in a quest for the perfect season? POS in my book. He was offered the job ONLY because of what those kids did on the field for him. He owed them more than that! I'll never forget his words at the PC in South Bend where he said "there's being a college football coach and then there's being a coach at Notre Dame? It's that kind of arrogance that turns so many people off about Notre Dame. I understand there's great history there but come on, this program hasn't been relevant in 20 years!!!

Pretty much my thoughts as well. I felt the same way when Rodriguez left WV. I'm sure I have my homer glasses on, but is the MI program really better than WVU?

Pretty much my thoughts as well. I felt the same way when Rodriguez left WV. I'm sure I have my homer glasses on, but is the MI program really better than WVU?

You do have your homer glasses on. That said, Rich Rod was not a good fit in Ann Arbor, as evident by all the players that have left the program, and also a looming NCAA investigation on a program that was one of the classiest under Lloyd Carr.

We'll see about Kelly, difference is, he IS an upgrade over Weis. Rich Rod was not an upgrade over Carr. Simply wasn't. UM fans might have whined about Lloyd, particularly about his recent record vs Ohio State, but the fact is, Lloyd wouldn't have not made freakin' bowls the last 2 years. Completely unheard of as someone that has spent his entire life in Big Ten country, never would've thought I'd see the day where Michigan was not only not bowl eligible but scraping the bottom of the Big Ten.

You do have your homer glasses on. That said, Rich Rod was not a good fit in Ann Arbor, as evident by all the players that have left the program, and also a looming NCAA investigation on a program that was one of the classiest under Lloyd Carr.

We'll see about Kelly, difference is, he IS an upgrade over Weis. Rich Rod was not an upgrade over Carr. Simply wasn't. UM fans might have whined about Lloyd, particularly about his recent record vs Ohio State, but the fact is, Lloyd wouldn't have not made freakin' bowls the last 2 years. Completely unheard of as someone that has spent his entire life in Big Ten country, never would've thought I'd see the day where Michigan was not only not bowl eligible but scraping the bottom of the Big Ten.

as much as i hate michigan & hated lloyd carr, i respected mich & lloyd carr. theyd be better off still having lloyd.