[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

AP "Athlete" of the Year

BS Miscreant

Jimmie Johnson? Really? I realize he accomplished something special but it's bad enough to call a guy who drives a car an athlete but to name that guy the "athlete of the year" over guys who actually demonstrate multiple qualities of athleticism is just a joke. I'm not saying what he does isn't difficult but come on...

Jimmie Johnson? Really? I realize he accomplished something special but it's bad enough to call a guy who drives a car an athlete but to name that guy the "athlete of the year" over guys who actually demonstrate multiple qualities of athleticism is just a joke. I'm not saying what he does isn't difficult but come on...

Exactly what I told my wife when I saw he won it last night, unbelievable at best

I drove home yesterday. I'm an athlete!

I am so going to draft you in my driving fantasy league. You have the best blinker click/right turn in the business

Dont you guys realize the sacrifices he has to make to be considered "Athlete of the year"? He isnt allowed a Garmin, NO radio and he doesnt even get a cool gimballed cup holder!

It is all about sacrifice . .. .

I am sure the no texting rule applies here as well :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...

Definition of an athlete: A person trained in excercises or contests involving physical agility, stamina, or strength; a participant in a sport, excercise, or game requiring phsyical skill and hand to eye coordination.

I don't know how many of you have raced a car before but I have for fun for years with my cousin and dad. What we race aren't huge machines like these guys wheel around but they are enough to get ya sore winded and adrenaline pumpin by goin 120 about 8 inches off the ground. I am in good shape as I weight train 5 days a week and have played sports all my life. And I can tell you that it is just as hard to drive a racecar as it is to play football and baseball. I played them both and still play baseball on a traveling tournament team(at the ripe old age of 35)! And I can tell you this much it takes a helluva lot more stamina and strength to race a car than play baseball. I've never seen anyone lose 10 lbs. during the course of a baseball game as these guys do after a race is done. And not to many baseball players are unable to hold their arms over there heads( with the exception of a pitcher maybe) the next day due to holding onto a 4000 lb. car going 180 mph for four hours. There are also some of my bigguns I use to play football with that protected my arse as my linemen I wouldn't exactly call athletes believe me! Most of these racers are in superb shape and what they do is no less impressive as what most of these other athletes do. They aren't just driving a car down a freeway like everyone else does. Just cause you like to go fast on the freeway and pass cars and say to yourself man I could do that it's easy. Believe me you need a different pair of stones to do what they do just like facing a guy who throws 100 mph or a 275 lb. lineman who runs a 4.5 /40. I like all these sports equally but I do believe these racers don't get as much credit as they deserve for being superb athletes. :wacko:

Edited by Sunday Couch Potatoe

if a friggin hoss can be on some of these "greatest athlete" lists, I figure a race car driver can be an athlete. sorta. at the same time, bobby allison won the daytona 500 at 50 years old. :wacko:

True but studs like Randy Johnson and Nolan Ryan have played well into their 40's and have been good as well. Everyones different racing for the most part is a young mans sport but theres your token older guys that can still do it. But most of the older racers hanging onto there glory days race at the back of the pack or run a few laps and bring it to the garage.