[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The 2010 Book Thread

CaP'N GRuNGe

Finishing up A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - one of my wife's favorites. Decent writing - total girl book.

I have a bunch coming from Amazon - Christmas early. Some new (to me) authors I'm checking out are Larry Brown and Gabriel Garcia Vasquez. Also some stuff coming from one Benjamin Franklin. One I'm not sure of - Thomas Pynchon's Gravities Rainbow. :wacko:

Edited by Jimmy Neutron

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Norton performs very well here in Missouri.

It only survived prohibition in Missouri, we killed it off here in VA. Prior to prohibition Missouri was the number 1 wine producing state thanks in a large part to the Norton grape. There is also another name for it, it is sometimes called Cynthiana. They thought this might be a second species but genetic testing has shown that it is identical to the Norton.

It only survived prohibition in Missouri, we killed it off here in VA. Prior to prohibition Missouri was the number 1 wine producing state thanks in a large part to the Norton grape. There is also another name for it, it is sometimes called Cynthiana. They thought this might be a second species but genetic testing has shown that it is identical to the Norton.

Yeah, I've had cynthiana. Has a little tart / bite on the back end.

Rollins announced that Devils Colony is being pushed back to 2011. He'll have 3 books out that year and the Sigma concept has been opted for a script with a totally new storyline that won't follow any of the books.

Yeah, I saw the movie deal. Hope it works out. Just finished Deep Fathom and really enjoyed it. I could have seen him using that crew for a series as well. (Though Lisa does show up later in the Sigma books.)

Going to do Mount Dragon by Preston & Child next.

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

Re-read Of Mice and Men and read Cannery Row. Both easy reads that lean toward brilliant. Love Steinbeck.

Read my first Larry Brown book this week - Big Bad Love. Interesting, there is probably more there than I got out of it. Brown writes about lowly figures with great compassion.

Now working through Vasquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude.

Do you usually read one book at a time all the way through or jump around?

Lately I find myself reading a book for a chapter or two and then losing interest for a bit and picking up a second or even third book before finishing the first one.

The Girl with the Dragoo Tatoo - Stieg Larrson

The Girl Who Played With Fire - Stieg Larrson

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest - Stieg Larrson

The World to Come - Dara Horn

I'm surprised that this was the first mention of this series in this thread. I read the first two last December and was totally hooked once I got through the first 150 pages of the first book. To read the description of the books, they sound like nothing special, but they really suck you in for a quick read.

The Girl with the Dragoo Tatoo - Stieg Larrson

Picked this up this week - it is off to a good start. Also read Anthony Bourdain's Medium Raw - loved it. If you like his commentary on No Reservations, you'll like the book.

• 1 month later...

Our Sacred Honor - William J. Bennett

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee - Dee Brown

The Power of Body Language - Tonya Reiman

The Quaran

I like the kindle and iPad kindle app and get as many books as I can that way. I've found them to be less expensive and easier to deal with once you are accustomed to the function of the devices.

I'm reading the Quaran so I can try and make some sense of what's happening in our world these days. I'll probably have to go through it more than once but so far it's a really "peaceful" book...I don't agree with everything, but it's peaceful.

Re-read Of Mice and Men and read Cannery Row. Both easy reads that lean toward brilliant. Love Steinbeck.

Read my first Larry Brown book this week - Big Bad Love. Interesting, there is probably more there than I got out of it. Brown writes about lowly figures with great compassion.

Now working through Vasquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude.

You'll love 100 years..., it's fabulous.