[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Most pain you've ever been in?

BeeR

The closest I can get to any of that:

I was about 17yrs old and getting some dental work done on a tooth that had chipped off at a wierd angle when I was a little kid. Tried to cap it then, but it kept falling off. It didn't hurt, so I just sorta didn't worry about it.

Well, now it's time for college and mom wants to make sure I have a purdy smile; get that tooth fixed.

Ok, mom.

Well, apparently, the nerves in your teeth can grow in places they're not supposed to if your tooth is chipped and remains uncapped for several years.

The dentist gave me (iirc) 15 shots to try to get the nerve in that tooth that they had to shave down with the grinder. They never did deaden that thing.

So, she just shaved away. With no pain meds.

It hurt so bad that I ripped the armrest off the chair.

Thank goodness the cap is still on the tooth 20yrs later!

I had a similar experience as a teenager ... with a military dentist. Root canal with a tooth ... couldn't deaden the tooth ... even after a shot of Novocain directly to the nerve. It was 15 years before I went back to a dentist ... and then only for an emergency.

I've had lots of painful experiences in my life ... but the one that seems to come to the top of my mind first ... catheter.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The dentist gave me (iirc) 15 shots to try to get the nerve in that tooth that they had to shave down with the grinder. They never did deaden that thing.

So, she just shaved away. With no pain meds.

It hurt so bad that I ripped the armrest off the chair.

Thank goodness the cap is still on the tooth 20yrs later!

:shiver:

Dental pain can be unbelievable too. My 2d worst pain ever was a vertical crack I got in a back tooth - apparently vert cracks are not common and the pain can come and go, making it hard to diagnose. Course not helping was I was relying on military dentists to handle it, which is rather like asking the 3 stooges to haul nitro around in a truck w/no shocks on a very bumpy road. Pain flaired up unbelievably at times.

Meningitis, my brain was swollen to the point my eyes were locked into place.

Glad you are feeling better.

That doesn't sound like it tickled either.

And I started feeling cramps about 8 PM tonight. I took 2 vicodine and am so keyed up I can't go to bed.

Maybe I shouldn'ta started up this thread.

Edited by BeeR

Falling off of a school building head first on to concrete when I was 12. Compund fracture wrist, eblow and shoulder of my left arm and broke my right fore arm. Smashed my nose and got stiches on ym right eye brow. My eyes were swollen shut for 2 weeks. Had migranes for over 20 years after that and still have some to this day 33 years later.

Total knee replacement and total hip replacement. Knee was by far the worse of the 2 though.

Divorce after my 1st marriage left a mark as well

I'd have to say dental pain was my worst. Broken tooth.

My Grandfather is a Korean war vet. He stood up out of a foxhole to throw a grenade and before he got back down he was peppered with shell fragments (from another shell). He was in the hospital for two months. He's also had his chest cracked open 2X, once for a bypass and the second time for a valve replacement. After all that, he still says kidney stones is the most he's ever hurt, ever. So I actually feel for you beer.

I'd have to say dental pain was my worst. Broken tooth.

My Grandfather is a Korean war vet. He stood up out of a foxhole to throw a grenade and before he got back down he was peppered with shell fragments (from another shell). He was in the hospital for two months. He's also had his chest cracked open 2X, once for a bypass and the second time for a valve replacement. After all that, he still says kidney stones is the most he's ever hurt, ever. So I actually feel for you beer.

Wow. Thx. I'm tellin ya...since they aren't generally by any means life-threatening and not overly rare, I used to think yeah, I'm sure it hurts some, blah blah. D'oh. Amazing how such a little thing can feel like Freddy Kruger is in your gut just rippin away.

Well I'm off to drink another 10 gallons of water and throw out every salty snack food I have on hand which I used to love so much. Who says carrot sticks aint tasty??

http://www.webmd.com/kidney-stones/kidney-...eases-your-risk

I STRONGLY recommend people read this. I have been hitting the salty foods heavily lately and don't drink much water. Till now that is. Here I thought it just might put my blood pressure up a bit, no big. D'oh. Thought it was esp interesting that dark green veg's, high levels of protein, aspirin, and antacids can also contribute. I've been hitting all of those for various reasons, including thinking it was healthy. :wacko:

Take note of where you live as well. Some areas have tap water with very high mineral content. After my 2nd stone in about 6 mos (after having lived here for not that long), we switched to a water service and I haven't had a problem since. That was several years ago and, overall, the change of water is the only major difference in my diet or lifestyle.

Interesting and good point. Fortunately I already have one of those purifiers on my ktichen tap and only drink water from there.

I really think not drinking much water and lately really hitting foods high in salt and/or protein (spare us the lame joke) was the culprit.

I'm gonna miss my tater chips. :wacko:

Edited by BeeR

I shattered my right arm falling out of the shower. That was fun. Nothing like the sight of you arm making a 90° turn in a place where it is supposed to be strait.

But that was nothing compared to the infection I incurred after my vasectomy. My right nut swelled to the size of a friggin peach.

That's all I have to say about my vasectomy

I shattered my right arm falling out of the shower. That was fun. Nothing like the sight of you arm making a 90° turn in a place where it is supposed to be strait.

But that was nothing compared to the infection I incurred after my vasectomy. My right nut swelled to the size of a friggin peach.

That's all I have to say about my vasectomy

Dude - I coulda gone all year without that little mental picture... :wacko:

My doctor said he has heard women compare it to giving birth. If true women are totally nuts not to get drugged up for that.

My brother and I were both 10 and a half pounds when born and my mother didn't use any medication (though it was probably not as common back then). I think she has held a grudge ever since. :wacko:

Anyway, I worked with a guy that had passed 3 kidney stones and he is in his mid 40s. I'll have to take everyone else's word about it but I've heard a few people swear kidney stones fall in the "wish you were dead" category for pain.

BeeR, for what it's worth, thanks for posting this thread. I clicked your link where it talks about kidney stones and I figure I really need to change my eating habits. My dad had kidney stones a few months ago and he said it was practically unbearable.

Time for me to pull my head out of my ass.

You're welcome and I hear ya. My diet, which I kidded myself was decent (mostly because I almost never drink soda or eat fried/fast food), needed a big change anyway. Hate to have to be "forced" to do it like this but guess I was asking for it. It's gonna suck, but suck about 800,000 times less than going through that again, which I realize there's no guarantee but I'm suddenly big on ounce of prevention type stuff.

Tearing my achille's on Super Bowl Sunday 2007 ..Giant victory helped ease some of the pain but vicodin did not hurt either

but worst was breaking my arm in two places playing football in 2001

People said they heard the snap from 20 yards away ... it was so painful i became nauseous ...when they went to take xrays and had to move my arm i honestly came real close to passing out

Edited by isleseeya

Definitely kidney stone. There is just no way you can decrease the pain. Doesn't matter what position you are in, it hurts.
I wish I could remember the name of the first pain-killer they gave me, don't recall hearing of it before. Would not suprise me in the least if the aholes gave me a placebo.

Racist.

And rightfully so. wtph are they doing with a bunch of crackas in ER? We all know how cold-hearted they are. Get me some bruthas in there and you'll see the pain-killers fly. :wacko:

Edited by BeeR

I wish I could remember the name of the first pain-killer they gave me, don't recall hearing of it before. Would not suprise me in the least if the aholes gave me a placebo.

And rightfully so. wtph are they doing with a bunch of crackas in ER? We all know how cold-hearted they are. Get me some bruthas in there and you'll see the pain-killers fly. :D

It was probably ultram/tramadol. It's kind of an in-between plain codeine (tylenol-3, tylenol5) and hydracodone (the opiate in vicoden/lortab/lorcet). It could have been Toradol, which is a high-powered anti-inflammatory that probably wouldn't do squat for your stones. Fentanyl is an injectable they like to give, which is supposed to be a little stronger than plain Morphine. :wacko: