[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"The" "Official" "BCS Championship Game" "Thread"

Chief Dick

+1

Hard to stomach the BAMA apologists that gripe at Texas fans for saying, 'It would have been a different game if McCoy were healthy'. Then in the same breath give BAMA a pass for letting Texas back in the game by saying, 'They would have played better/harder if McCoy was in the game'.

Only an idiot would argue that McCoy leaving the game did not have a negative impact on Texas and their play calling.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 2 cents is that Bama won and congrats for that. I think Texas had a real legitimate shot at them if Colt would have been in the entire game. Originally I thought Bama would roll, but TX played better than I thought (well at least parts of them). I was surprised to see them fight back and get close. I thought there was some pretty questionable play calling on both sides. I really fail to understand how Nebraska sacked McCoy 9 times and hit him even more and the dude never got hurt. Then one seemingly normal hit puts him on the sidelines in the NC game. I still haven't heard an official word on what it was (shoulder/arm/nerve). Hope he makes it back ok to get his shot at the next level. I'm not a big McCoy fan but I think he deserves his chance to prove me wrong.

I drove through Austin this morning. I was hoping against I would run across Cart and could ask him to arm wrassle hahahahaha.

What a wuss. Has there ever been a player who personified the gutlessness and cowardice of that orange tub o ghey better than that little feller.

Bama did what they had to do to win and if Texas had a huge emotional let down after Mccoy went out , then shame on them

I totally understand that Texas had to be a bit deflated with Mccoy going out but to remain deflated the whole game when football is played by a whole lot more than just one player should not be acceptable

I find it amazing hpw anyone can say that Texas was , is , would be , etc better than Bama if Mccoy played the whole game ... what proof is there when he left the game so soon ? Would Texas have had a better shot to win with Mccoy , sure , i dont beleove anyone can argue that point but to come out and state it like a fact that Texas would definitely win with Mccoy is ridiculous imho

Alabama beat the best team in college football when they beat FL and earned spot in title game ...once there they took care of business like a great team should

Edited by isleseeya

I drove through Austin this morning. I was hoping against I would run across Cart and could ask him to arm wrassle hahahahaha.

What a wuss. Has there ever been a player who personified the gutlessness and cowardice of that orange tub o ghey better than that little feller.

eATMe

Alabama beat the best team in college football when they beat FL and earned spot in title game ...once there they took care of business like a great team should

Give BAMA credit for the win. But - great team? Sorry, but I'm unimpressed. Great teams go for the jugular and don't let a true freshman with little to no college game experience get them back into the game. Great teams don't come out so flat, play horrible on special teams, and start with a poor game plan. Texas had BAMA reeling from the opening moments of the game and they only got the momentum back because Texas had to go vanilla with the new QB.

Alabama is the champion. We'll never know what could have been. As a Texas fan, I liked our chances with our MVP playing. There's nothing that SEC-ESPN homers or other haters can say that will change that or make me less proud of our team.

Give BAMA credit for the win. But - great team? Sorry, but I'm unimpressed. Great teams go for the jugular and don't let a true freshman with little to no college game experience get them back into the game. Great teams don't come out so flat, play horrible on special teams, and start with a poor game plan. Texas had BAMA reeling from the opening moments of the game and they only got the momentum back because Texas had to go vanilla with the new QB.

Alabama is the champion. We'll never know what could have been. As a Texas fan, I liked our chances with our MVP playing. There's nothing that SEC-ESPN homers or other haters can say that will change that or make me less proud of our team.

If that moron of a coach would have put in a veteran backup qb instead of a freshman you homos would have won.

One thing I CAN say about this game.... either team, regardless of the Colt injury, would have beaten the bejesus out of Boise St. or TCU. Watching both games, the talent level was blatantly obvious. Hopefully, upon reflection, people will now know the difference between mid-level and major conferences.

Texas & especially McCoy got a taste of good old fashion hard hitting SEC football at it's best. If you think back the last time a SEC team played a Big 12 team for the BCS NC the SEC team also knocked the Big 12 QB (heisman winner at that) around so much he could hardly walk by the end of the game. Not sure if that was Bama's strategy, but both game plans were drawn up by the same coach?

Just remembered the SEC beat the Big 12 with a Heisman QB last year too in the BCS NC. :wacko:

Edited by Rockerbraves

:wacko: The hit was nothing special and the pinched nerve, just fluky bad luck. If you came away from last night's game thinking that confirmed the SEC's dominance over the Big 12, you need to watch the game again. Alabama's performance was far from impressive. They did enough to win, so congrats to them. But save your BS SEC vs. Big 12 rant. Despite poor play on the part of the Texas offense, we were in the game late in the 4th quarter with a true freshman QB at the helm in his first meaningful action. If anything, I think it showed Texas, despite poor luck and not its best game, can hold its own against the best of the SEC. Edited by Company of Heroes

This is the truly unfortunate aspect of this BCS NC game...

When McCoy went out the first thing I thought was brought to fruition in this thread. Excuses, excuses, excuses...

The game was flukey and not unlike other big time games the outcome was determined by a handful of "big" plays. Truth is Texas was the long straw recipient of several of those plays ala the mess that was the kicking game yet Bama better caplitalized on their opportunities.

This is what happens when a championship is determined by one final game. Sometimes you get great television and others you get what we got Thursday night. The game was a mess but the Tide made the better of the mess.

Texas lost their "stud" QB yet their #1 rated run D gave up 200+ yards.

This could go on for days and the idea that one guy leaving the game has tarnished the outcome should make you sick.

In review, I came here to read this thread and got exactly what I expected... disappointment... although expected.

The Tide won, fair and square.

Obviously, their game plan changed to something very conservative when McCoy went down - early in the first quarter. That decision was great coaching.

No one on this thread or anywhere else can predict what would have happened had McCoy remained. It seems likely that Alabama would have been more aggressive offensively. The supposed number one defense against the rush did not seem to have many answers.

As for Texas - or Florida - this is what happens when you build your entire offensive team around one Prima Donna. He goes down and the entire team suffers.

Whatever, my team has the title and I shall enjoy that fact!

The Tide won, fair and square.

Obviously, their game plan changed to something very conservative when McCoy went down - early in the first quarter. That decision was great coaching. Disagree--The great decision to go ultra conservative let Texas right back into the game.

No one on this thread or anywhere else can predict what would have happened had McCoy remained. It seems likely that Alabama would have been more aggressive offensively. The supposed number one defense against the rush did not seem to have many answers.

As for Texas - or Florida - this is what happens when you build your entire offensive team around one Prima Donna. He goes down and the entire team suffers. I think that is Alabama had lost its QB on the first series, this may have been a hugely different game. It seems Alabama only has inexperienced freshmen/sophomores at back up QB. Texas would have loaded 8 men in the box to stop the run and dared Alabama's back up to beat them with the pass. It is not an easy situation to come in off the bench in a NC game against a strong team.

Whatever, my team has the title and I shall enjoy that fact!

:D The hit was nothing special and the pinched nerve, just fluky bad luck. If you came away from last night's game thinking that confirmed the SEC's dominance over the Big 12, you need to watch the game again. Alabama's performance was far from impressive. They did enough to win, so congrats to them. But save your BS SEC vs. Big 12 rant. Despite poor play on the part of the Texas offense, we were in the game late in the 4th quarter with a true freshman QB at the helm in his first meaningful action. If anything, I think it showed Texas, despite poor luck and not its best game, can hold its own against the best of the SEC.

Perhaps Texas coach learned something about the value of winning unimpressively. Maybe if Coach Brown would have played his backup more and not worry so much about winning impressively throughout this season his team would have been more prepared should Colt go down. I'm sure many question Saban for playing his true freshmen RB so much this season when he had a more experience heisman RB in the backfield.

SEC has won 5 out of the last 7 BCS NC and how many of you can name the starting QB's on those teams without looking it up? :wacko:

Perhaps Texas coach learned something about the value of winning unimpressively. Maybe if Coach Brown would have played his backup more and not worry so much about winning impressively throughout this season his team would have been more prepared should Colt go down. I'm sure many question Saban for playing his true freshmen RB so much this season when he had a more experience heisman RB in the backfield.

Fair points all.

But pardon me if I don't worship the SEC like most do.

As for Texas - or Florida - this is what happens when you build your entire offensive team around one Prima Donna. He goes down and the entire team suffers.

Harsh, but mostly true. As a Texas fan, I agree we need to be multi-dimensional. Hard to call Colt a Prima Donna. He's accomplished so much in his career with 1/100th the fanfare and worship of Tebow.

< I think that is Alabama had lost its QB on the first series, this may have been a hugely different game. It seems Alabama only has inexperienced freshmen/sophomores at back up QB. Texas would have loaded 8 men in the box to stop the run and dared Alabama's back up to beat them with the pass. It is not an easy situation to come in off the bench in a NC game against a strong team>

Can't speak for Florida but thought you should know this about at least one SEC Team. :wacko:

LSU Tops UT 31-20 in 2001 SEC Football Championship - ATLANTA (AP/HIG Staff) — A backup quarterback denied Tennessee a spot in the Rose Bowl. Matt Mauck, filling in after Rohan Davey was injured, ran for two touchdowns and No. 21 LSU won its first Southeastern Conference title since 1988 with a 31-20 upset of second-ranked Tennessee on Saturday night.

LSU Mauls Miami 40-3 in 2005 Chick-fil-A PEACH BOWL - They may look docile in their traditional purple and gold, but make no mistake: These Tigers have bite. Just ask Miami. Led by backup quarterback Matt Flynn and running back Joseph Addai, LSU mauled the Hurricanes in the Peach Bowl Friday night, 40-3. Matt Flynn looked more like a QB with lots of big-game experience than a first-time starter.

SEC has won 5 out of the last 7 BCS NC and how many of you can name the starting QB's on those teams without looking it up? :wacko:

Don't care if you believe I didn't look it up or not but... Mauck, Leake, Flynn, Tebow, Mcelroy... and throw in Tee Martin from the 98' Vols

"I think that is Alabama had lost its QB on the first series, this may have been a hugely different game. It seems Alabama only has inexperienced freshmen/sophomores at back up QB. Texas would have loaded 8 men in the box to stop the run and dared Alabama's back up to beat them with the pass. It is not an easy situation to come in off the bench in a NC game against a strong team."

Unta, had the game not been played already I might agree with this statement as a rule but having seen the game and having the advantage of knowing the stats I gotta disagree.

McElroy was a less than inspiring 6-11 for 58 yards not to mention the sacks he took because he consistently held on to the ball too long. I'm not sure bringing in a back-up of any sort would have diminished the Bama attack significantly if at all. They won all year long with mediocre, game managing QB play. I would've expected similar play from a back-up.

The real scary thing with Bama is the fact that they sit their stud, a Heisman winning RB, for extended periods and bring in a guy in Richardson who might be even better.

"I think that is Alabama had lost its QB on the first series, this may have been a hugely different game. It seems Alabama only has inexperienced freshmen/sophomores at back up QB. Texas would have loaded 8 men in the box to stop the run and dared Alabama's back up to beat them with the pass. It is not an easy situation to come in off the bench in a NC game against a strong team."

Unta, had the game not been played already I might agree with this statement as a rule but having seen the game and having the advantage of knowing the stats I gotta disagree.

McElroy was a less than inspiring 6-11 for 58 yards not to mention the sacks he took because he consistently held on to the ball too long. I'm not sure bringing in a back-up of any sort would have diminished the Bama attack significantly if at all. They won all year long with mediocre, game managing QB play. I would've expected similar play from a back-up.

The real scary thing with Bama is the fact that they sit their stud, a Heisman winning RB, for extended periods and bring in a guy in Richardson who might be even better.

However, Texas had to respect the potential that McElroy could pass. Bring in a back up, and Texas no longer would have had to respect the potential pass. Look what the Texas defense was able to do in the 3rd qtr once they realized that Alabama was going ultra conservative. How come Texas didn't stop the run as efficiently in the first half?

Prior to McCoy going out the whole team was fired up and kicking ass. As soon as it became apparent that McCoy wasn't going to get back in the game, the team had an emotional let down. I'd also say that Texas showed plenty of sack as you put it, as they were within three points of the lead midway through the 4th quarter. Had McCoy stayed in the game it would have been either 10-0 or 14-0 instead of 6-0 at the end of the second possession. Had McCoy stayed int he game it is doubtful they throw the shuttle pass at the end of the 2nd quarter that was bounced around for a pick six. Had McCoy stayed in the game it is very doubtful that the 3rd, 4th, and 5th possessions of the game would have been 3 and outs. Texas showed the country (well anyone but SEC fans) that they are a better team than Alabama.

Who's fault is that? My point is, quite simply, that this is not a time for a team the caliber you claim Texas is to pack it in. The WRs let the kid down by dropping some passes, the coaches let him down by calling a woefully predictable scheme. Sure you need to shorten the book, but you don't need to call 2 up the middle runs on 1st and 2nd and then a screen on 3rd. Every single time. And, yes, the D let him down as well.

How is it that McCoy certainly turns those first two possessions into TDs? Before you go assuming that UT wouldn't have struggled had McCoy been in there, take a minute to think about how well McCoy did against the few tough Ds he played this year. In fact, that's why guys like Kiper were saying they thought he had the most to show during the bowl season. That he could perform against a strong D. Because he hadn't yet.

Like Steve says, there's simply no reason to say how, precisely this game would have turned out had McCoy stayed in. You can't gloss over the UT let down when he went out without also realizing that Bama was capable of doing the same thing once they thought they had it won at the half. These are kids.

Kudos for UT and especially the kid for showing up in the 2nd half but ultimately, Bama won by enough (and scored 30 offensive points btw) to expose anyone who claims that UT would have certainly won this game, let alone by double digits had McCoy stayed in as completely out of his mind.

However, Texas had to respect the potential that McElroy could pass. Bring in a back up, and Texas no longer would have had to respect the potential pass. Look what the Texas defense was able to do in the 3rd qtr once they realized that Alabama was going ultra conservative. How come Texas didn't stop the run as efficiently in the first half?

Look what Texas offense was able to do in the 2nd half once they realized that Alabama was going ultra conservative on both offense & defense.

How come Alabama didn't stop the pass as efficiently in the second half is the better question?

The answer of course is obvious: Bama 24 Texas 6 at halftime

If that moron of a coach would have put in a veteran backup qb instead of a freshman you homos would have won.

This is what happens when you're an aggie. You get used to watching garbage, you get confused when you see the real thing.