[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chargers vs Jets - Divisional Round

Riffraff

I'm a Charger fan and I worry about any team that can run the ball well enough to win the time of possession by a huge margin. A couple of times this was the Chargers' achilles heel - the defense not getting off the field.

On a positive note - the other achilles heel of the Chargers, the Patriots, aren't coming to town.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a Charger fan and I worry about any team that can run the ball well enough to win the time of possession by a huge margin. A couple of times this was the Chargers' achilles heel - the defense not getting off the field.

On a positive note - the other achilles heel of the Chargers, the Patriots, aren't coming to town.

IMHO the Jets have already reached their goal.

When you set your goal to make it to the Super Bowl ,, that's all you do is make and not win it.

When you set your goal to win a playoff game then that's all you do (Win A Playoff Game)

This was the Jets and their coaching staffs goal when they seen they had a chance of making the playoffs and they done it.

IMHO the Jets have already reached their goal.

When you set your goal to make it to the Super Bowl ,, that's all you do is make and not win it.

When you set your goal to win a playoff game then that's all you do (Win A Playoff Game)

This was the Jets and their coaching staffs goal when they seen they had a chance of making the playoffs and they done it.

While I agree the Jets are playing with house money, no way is the Jets CS satisfied with one playoff game win. Ryan thinks the Jets can go all the way, and he has his players believing it too. If Sanchez can keep playing the way he did yesterday, all bets are off. Jets fans are fine with what Ryan has done, but Ryan and his CS along with his players are not. Ryan always said the goal was winning the Super Bowl since the day he was hired.

Could the Jets upset SD? I don't think so, but I would not rule it out either. Like it did yesterday, it will likely depend on how well Sanchez plays. If he gets another 150 point QB rating...

While I agree the Jets are playing with house money, no way is the Jets CS satisfied with one playoff game win. Ryan thinks the Jets can go all the way, and he has his players believing it too. If Sanchez can keep playing the way he did yesterday, all bets are off. Jets fans are fine with what Ryan has done, but Ryan and his CS along with his players are not. Ryan always said the goal was winning the Super Bowl since the day he was hired.

Could the Jets upset SD? I don't think so, but I would not rule it out either. Like it did yesterday, it will likely depend on how well Sanchez plays. If he gets another 150 point QB rating...

Now I'm not saying that today they are satisfied with one playoff win. What I'm saying is last week that was their goal.

Last week after realizing they made it to the playoffs, I believe they set the goal of just beating Cincy.

A lot of teams, coaches and heck you and I have done that before ( setting our goals to low)

Then when we reach that goal we set a new goal but it's a different train of thought when we set goals that way.

For after reaching the lesser goal you take your foot off the gas even if it is just temporarily.

Hope Kaeding doesn't review film from his other game against the Jets in the post-season.

Or pretty much most of his post-season games:

In January, 2005, Kaeding became only the second rookie in NFL history to attempt a potential game-winning field goal in the playoffs in the 4th quarter or overtime. His 40-yard field goal attempt missed, and the Chargers lost in the wild card round to the New York Jets, who won the game on a Doug Brien field goal.

In the 2007 Pro Bowl, Kaeding kicked a game winning 21-yard field goal with four seconds left.

Kaeding's postseason struggles continued in the 2006 NFL Playoffs, when he missed a game tying 54-yard field goal attempt against the New England Patriots. He had not missed a field goal at home in the previous two years prior to that 54-yard attempt.

Kaeding suffered a fractured left leg when he made a tackle on the opening kickoff against the Denver Broncos on December 24, 2007 and played the final 5 games of the season on the fractured leg. [1]

In the 2007 playoffs Kaeding missed a field goal each in the Wild Card weekend game against Tennessee (which San Diego won) and against the Indianapolis Colts (which San Diego also won). Nate's streak of consecutive playoff games with a missed field goal stood at 4 but was ended with a made field goal from 40 yards against New England.

Edited by Riffraff

Now I'm not saying that today they are satisfied with one playoff win. What I'm saying is last week that was their goal.

Last week after realizing they made it to the playoffs, I believe they set the goal of just beating Cincy.

A lot of teams, coaches and heck you and I have done that before ( setting our goals to low)

Then when we reach that goal we set a new goal but it's a different train of thought when we set goals that way.

For after reaching the lesser goal you take your foot off the gas even if it is just temporarily.

And what I am saying is that they didn't set their goal on just beating Cinci. The fans did, but not the coaches. I know it's silly, but Ryan said he thoiught the Jets should be favored to win the SB before they even played the Bengals. He is crazy enough to believe that... and he has the players beloieving it too. Ryan says a lot of whacky stuff, but thing is... he believes himself.

And what I am saying is that they didn't set their goal on just beating Cinci. The fans did, but not the coaches. I know it's silly, but Ryan said he thoiught the Jets should be favored to win the SB before they even played the Bengals. He is crazy enough to believe that... and he has the players beloieving it too. Ryan says a lot of whacky stuff, but thing is... he believes himself.

:wacko: Is this on the real ??? did he really say that ?? or are you just messing with me ??

:wacko: Is this on the real ??? did he really say that ?? or are you just messing with me ??

Yes he did... and was being called a clown for it on NY sports radio. He believes it. He's crazy.

Well what do you expect him to say? "I don't think we're a Super Bowl team and we probably won't get there." ??? I like the guy. He's totally positive and it rubs off on his players. It's fun to watch his post-game press conferences too.

The Chargers run D was soft in the beginning of the year but they have stiffened and are playing much more disciplined. I don't see them gashing the Bolts for big yards, but will have success holding the ball for chunks. The stadium will be like nothing Sanchez has experienced before and the Jets don't have two weeks of preparation for the same team.

Despite the excellent D the Jets bring, I don't think they can shut down the Chargers completely. The Chargers have scored at least 20 in every game, and can do it patiently or quickly. They don't bring just one style into the game and are good at doing everything on offense and can run the ball well enough to set up what they need Rivers to do. I think there was a plan to the "off year" LT has had and he has seen more balls thrown his way the last few weeks, almost like they are getting him warmed up for something we haven't seen for a while. There were a few times in the second half of the season where he had around 50 or more in the first half and was not used as much in the second half, even though he was having success.

I see the Chargers continuing to score 20 or more and I don't think the Jets can keep pace, especially in San Diego, even trying to shorten the game.

If the Chargers get up early the way they have been so good at doing, it will put the Jets into a game they are not built to play.

And for the record, I like Rex Ryan and many of you may remember that I wanted him to get hired instead of Norv. He is a great coach and I think the Jets are in for a good run with him for a while to come.I also think that Sanchez won"t be able to handle what is waiting for him in SD if he is put in a position to have to keep pace with Rivers. Not this year anyway.

I have to admit there is an weird (and uncomfortable as a Bolt fan) similarity between this Jets team and the Ravens team that won the SB. Sanchez only has to be a game manager, like Dilfer, if the D is dominating.

Well what do you expect him to say? "I don't think we're a Super Bowl team and we probably won't get there." ??? I like the guy. He's totally positive and it rubs off on his players. It's fun to watch his post-game press conferences too.

I like Ryan, a lot, as do just about all Jets fans. He is a polarizing personality for sure... amoung non Jets fans, most people seem to hate him. He doesn't care. Heck, when he got hired, he said he didnt come to NY to kiss BB's rings. He said he was looking forward to meeting the President. You ca laugh at him, but he beleives himself. The players love playing for him, and even his OC Shcotty Jr) said he was happy this year in NY for the first time! Serious shot at Mangini there. Big plug for Ryan.

His comments were a bit more muted yesterday. He said that he (we, CS and players) knows they can beat any opponent. He said that the Jets are a good team, and doesn't care how they made the playoffs. "We are a tough out, and if a team doesn't know that, well, they are wrong." This guy has fun coaching. His coaches have fun coaching under him. Same for the players. Should anything else really matter anyway?

SD will have it's hands full. The Jets weakness is the Run D, but that was still 8th in the NFL. Top NFL pass D. Revis can take Jackson out of the game. Gates however will likely give them fits. SD does not have a good running attack. I don't think SD can stop the NFL's best rush offense. The Jets have 3 pro bowlers on the O line, and the Bengals' HC called Mangold and Faneca all pro's, not just pro bowlers... and that was before the game Saturday. The Bengals had 9 in the box... and the Jets still ran on them.

SD will have to confuse Sanchez, force him to throw and make mistakes. If SD can do that, they win. If not... it's a 50-50 proposition. The question in my mind is 'did Sanchez turn the rookie corner on Saturday?' Or not.

No, I would expect him to say that they are as good as any other team in the playoffs or he could of said the Jest are the best team in the playoffs.

But to say he thought the Jets should be the favorites to win the super bowl. That is a totally different statement.

Jets fans, let's not get too crazy here. While it's clear Rex and the Jets are believing in themselves, there's no doubt the Chargers and Philip Rivers are too. 11 in a row.

What actually scares me more than anything is Darren Sproles and LaDainian Tomlinson and their ability to catch passes. I think that, coupled with the best pass-catching TE in the game (sorry Dallas Clark), will somehow temper that blitz and allow the Chargers to move the ball. A lot of those 3 and 14s will become 1st and 10s.

Quick Q- Sure it will be a loud atmosphere there, but there will probably be a lot of Sanchez fans at the game, no?

OT- What was up with Steve Weatherford, the Jets punter? You're dizzy and your heart feels like it's bating fast so you can't punt? Drink some electrolytes, lay down until you are needed, and then get in the GAME! You need to play maybe 7 plays the entire 3 hours. Insane. He needs to be cut immediately.

These two things are identical.

They are not the same - you can have the best team not favored for many reasons.

In this case one of the reason would be the Jets being such a low seed they will always have to travel and be the visitor.

They also will have to play an extra game and they do not have the advantage of the extra week off to prepare for their opponent.

So even if you believed that they were the best team it wouldn't automatically make them the favorite to win the Super Bowl.

Myself I'm thinking they will not even make it past the Chargers. I also thought Philly would beat the Cowboys

So much for what I think :wacko: If I was predicting this game I would say 24 - 17 Chargers

A few more thoughts:

1- The Bengals were struggling at the end of the season and were new to the playoff environment themselves. They were clearly not the emotional and inspired team they were a little over a month ago. That added to the shut down mode of opponents they faced, just how "intense" has the competition been for the Jets? I would argue that they really have not played a game with the same playoff intensity the Chargers will bring.

2. The Chargers are playoff hardened. They have won and lost some tough games. I think there is a clear advantage the Bolts have in this aspect. The Jets are almost acting like the Chargers did when they lost to the Pats a few years back. Projecting to a possible "Super Bowl Victory Parade" to show that it is a possibility is goofy and dangerous (and I am a Ryan fan). I like the Bolts one-game-at-a-time focus. They have had it all year and still have it.

3. In the last game of the season, the reserve palyers competed and won against another teams 1s (Redskins). That in itself is impressive. It is stil the NFL. They never cooled off and the starters got on a roll and scored on their first two possessions of the game against a pretty decent defense before taking a sideline seat. They have a lot of momentum! Eleven straight and 13-3, despite the injuries!

4. Just taking VJax out of the game is not enough to stop the offense. The Jets will get burned if they blitz and they will get picked apart if they don't (they are not a sack machine, kind of middle of the pack). The Chargers put up 400 through the air against the Ravens, and they were hurting badly on both the O and D lines. They are the healthiest they have been all year and the O-line has been under rated over the last 8 weeks.

5. I'm not sure the Bolt run game is as bad as believed. Clearly, it doesn't produce a lot, but it doesn't have to. It can when it needs to and if you get too soft up front defending the pass. Pick your poison. (And yes, LT has lost a step, but he is not the only factor in the backfield)

6. The Bolt D has been much more stout against the run the second half of the season and they are getting better pressure off the edges.

7. They don't commit a lot of penalties and don't turn the ball over much. Very disciplined team.

8. I am not sure what the hard numbers are, but the Chargers do not face 3rd down as much as other teams. They move the chains a lot on just first and second down. When they do face 3rd down, they are very good at converting.

9. The Chargers special teams are pretty special.

10. For an outdoor stadium, Charger fans in Playoff frenzy can make it very hard on an opposing team. This Jets team, IMO, still has not faced a "real" playoff environment. A failing Bengal team in the deep freeze is not the same energy they will face in San Diego.

Not only the firepower, but the experience and maturity of the Chargers will be enough to win this game.

Not a surprise coming from me, but I see a Charger win, 27-16.

Note:

I have not focused on the Jets here because I think it is the Chargers game to win or lose and am not sure, based on the Jets recent opposition, it is hard to get a real read on how they will match up. Their last road game against a "competitive team" other than the Bengals (see above) was a very unimpressive loss to a reeling Falcon team (7-10) and they got rolled big time by the Pats. Wins at TB and Buf are expected for a 9-7 team. The last half of their season has been pretty soft IMO, and hanging 6 out of their last 7as a branch is transparent. They are 6-4 in their last 10 and clearly playing better now, but it has not been the most tasking of roads and they have not fared well on the road against good teams.

Any given sunday Bolt fans...keep thinking that this is an impossible L and you will regret it.

As mentioned before, the Ravens did it a few years back and the Jets can also. I don't think the Jets are going to win this game, but I don't think they are going to lose either...wierd. As a Jets fan, I rather play Rivers than Manning. I can see the Jets D rattling hot head Rivers more so than Manning.

If Sanchez only has to throw 15 times, the Jets win.