[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

J.D. Salinger dead at 91...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,584170,00.html

NEW YORK — "Catcher in the Rye" author J.D. Salinger has died at age 91 in New Hampshire.

The author's son, in a statement from the author's literary representative, says Salinger died of natural causes at his home. He had lived for decades in self-imposed isolation in the small, remote house in Cornish, N.H.

"The Catcher in the Rye" with its immortal teenage protagonist — the twisted, rebellious Holden Caulfield — came out in 1951 during the time of anxious, Cold War conformity.

Salinger wrote for adults, but teenagers all over the world identified with the novel's themes of alienation, innocence and fantasy.

In later years, Salinger become famous for not wanting to be famous, refusing interviews.

He was a great read. Catcher in the Rye was banned in my high school and town... had to go to the next town to get a copy. Our English teacher had it number one on her list of books we needed to read. She got in trouble for that... but continued to push us reading it.

He was a great read. Catcher in the Rye was banned in my high school and town... had to go to the next town to get a copy. Our English teacher had it number one on her list of books we needed to read. She got in trouble for that... but continued to push us reading it.

My kids HAD to read Catcher in the Rye for English class. How times change.....

I liked the book, but think its one of the more overrated high school reading requirements. But the book got me laid once. (And with a woman!)

It beats Holden your own sausage

I'm not much of a reader but it was always one of my favorite books. I bought a new copy late last year and my daughter just found out she has to read it this semester. I liked it ten times more than The Great Gatsby which I also had to read the same year.

Bunch Of Phonies Mourn J.D. Salinger

CORNISH, NH—In this big dramatic production that didn't do anyone any good (and was pretty embarrassing, really, if you think about it), thousands upon thousands of phonies across the country mourned the death of author J.D. Salinger, who was 91 years old for crying out loud. "He had a real impact on the literary world and on millions of readers," said hot-shot English professor David Clarke, who is just like the rest of them, and even works at one of those crumby schools that rich people send their kids to so they don't have to look at them for four years. "There will never be another voice like his." Which is exactly the lousy kind of goddamn thing that people say, because really it could mean lots of things, or nothing at all even, and it's just a perfect example of why you should never tell anybody anything.

I have to say, this book just didn't live up to the hype for me. I may have to give it another shot, but my initial impression was, Meh.

Now Gatsby, I did love for its symbolism and such. Having visited the Newport mansions, it was also easy for me to visualize it.

It will be interesting to see if Salinger's family will sell the rights to the screenplay. It has been considered a holy grail of sorts in Hollywood for many years, as the name alone would be a hugh draw.

If Hollywood were to make this film today it would have 2 car chases, a shape-morphing alien, and the twist ending of Holden being a chick martial artist secret agent.

Interesting as it was a required read in my Frosh English class and our age isn't that far apart (3 years?).

That said, I never was a big novel reader, and didn't really like the book, BUT I DON'T think it was over hyped as it made certain "natural functions/activities" OK in an era where those "functions/activities" were Verboten! :wacko:

Edited by rocknrobn26

Interesting as it was a required read in my Frosh English class and our age isn't that far apart (3 years?).

Pretty much had to live in the small town I was in at the time. LOL Couldn't sell alcohol inside the city limits and you couldn't swing a cat without hitting a church. They had a rating system for movies before there was a rating system. :wacko:

Heck... even The Good Earth was banned for awhile.

Pretty much had to live in the small town I was in at the time. LOL Couldn't sell alcohol inside the city limits and you couldn't swing a cat without hitting a church. They had a rating system for movies before there was a rating system. :wacko:

Heck... even The Good Earth was banned for awhile.

??? Who the hail bans Pearl Buck? Her house is some kind of shrine in WV - she's right up there with Chuck Yeager.