[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

anyone watch the penn fight?

dmarc117

One of the most dominant title fight as$-beatings I've ever seen. B.J. made Sanchez look like an amateur had stepped into the ring. Over before it started. He's done it over and over again, with guys like Sanchez, Florian, Sherk, etc. He makes what would otherwise be "dominant" fighters, look mediocre (or worse).

at the 53/54 second mark is he licking the blood off of his gloves ?

Symbolically, yes. In other words, Penn has done that "move" after a few of his fights, some bloodier than others. In this case, though, I'd have to say that he probably did so in the literal sense, as well, given how much blood there was.

I'll give Sanchez props for one thing... He doesn't quit. The guy was dominated... picked apart and bloodied... throughout the entire fight, but he kept coming back for more. Sort of reminded me of a rabid dog. :wacko:

at the 53/54 second mark is he licking the blood off of his gloves ?

He does it after every victory. Kind of disturbing, but it's part of his mystique.

The guy is the best to ever fight at 155. Just as dominant than GSP at 170, Spider at 185, or anyone ever at 205. He's bigger, stronger, and has the best ground game maybe in MMA, and has what Freddie Roach says, the best boxing of anyone in MMA. There is no one in the UFC at 155 that can even make a remotely interesting match for him. They'd have to go to Japan, but that won't happen.

Just as impressive that night, was Frank Mir's murder of Kongo. Mir finally got serious about strength and conditioning and looked flat out scary. He said he only goal right now is Brock Lesnar for a third and final time. It's going to happen again, because I think they're the two best in the UFC HW division... Just can't wait to see what a bigger stronger Mir can do.

Oh, and Strikeforce has put together a hell of a roster, with better matchmaking than anyone else in MMA.

I'll give Sanchez props for one thing... He doesn't quit. The guy was dominated... picked apart and bloodied... throughout the entire fight, but he kept coming back for more. Sort of reminded me of a rabid dog. :wacko:

I didn't come away with that impression at all. Sanchez did nothing but grab Penn's leg and hold on for dear life. He knew he couldn't take him down, and that position kept him from getting his head knocked off. Grey Maynard needs to figure out something that Diego didn't. When looking for a way to beat Penn, DO NOT look at the GSP tape. GSP is the only guy in the UFC that Penn will fight that will have equal skills as far as takedowns VS takedown defense and wrestling. Maynard, Sanchez and the like don't have half of that talent.

I didn't come away with that impression at all. Sanchez did nothing but grab Penn's leg and hold on for dear life. He knew he couldn't take him down, and that position kept him from getting his head knocked off. Grey Maynard needs to figure out something that Diego didn't. When looking for a way to beat Penn, DO NOT look at the GSP tape. GSP is the only guy in the UFC that Penn will fight that will have equal skills as far as takedowns VS takedown defense and wrestling. Maynard, Sanchez and the like don't have half of that talent.

All I'm saying is that I've seen guys literally run around the cage, trying to basically avoid their opponent, when they know they're outmatched. I've seen many others simply "cover up" and wait for the ref to call the fight. Diego didn't do either one, even though he had plenty of chances to do so. Given the obvious difference in skill level between the two, that fight should have been over in the first round. That's not meant as a slam against Penn... he was awesome in that fight. But, fights that are that one-sided don't usually last as long as that one did.

Whether it's because he's "tough" or stupid, Sanchez seemed determined to get his azz kicked in that fight. He actually initiated quite a bit of the contact between himself and Penn, even though he came out on the losing end every single time. I couldn't help but be slightly impressed that Sanchez didn't "quit", but I felt slightly sorry for him at the same time.

He [sanchez] actually initiated quite a bit of the contact between himself and Penn . . .

I noticed that too. I lost count of how many times the Nightmare violently slammed his face into Penn's fists, over and over again.

What happens more:

A. Sanchez saying YES on his way to the cage

B. Kongo doing his fist to chest to air move on the way to the cage.

:D Tough call, but I'm going to say Kongo... Those are pretty much constant, while there seems to be a bit more of a "build-up" between Yes's by Sanchez.

Some good fights coming up in the next couple of months... Did I read correctly that the UFC event on March 21 is only going to be aired on Versus, which DirecTV customers do not get? Oh well, I guess if I had to choose a fight card to miss in the next 2-3 months, that might be the one. :wacko: