[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The "Official" Super Bowl Game Thread

Chief Dick

Not that it matters, but a few very important facts... Moore initially had possession and crossed the goal line while maintaining possession. When he hit the ground, with the ball still over the goal line, the ball shifted but he clearly regained his grasp while on the ground. Had it not been for the Colts player kicking the ball there wouldn't have been any reason for the replay.

Why I think this play is different from the Murphy call is that the ball came out of his possession as he made contact with the ground. I do agree with unta though, I think the Murphy TD was a bad call.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Murphy call was said to be correct by the NFL. The rule needs to be clearer. Both players had control of the ball, in the end zone, BEFORE being touched. In the act of falling to the ground to complete the catch, Murphy's ball comes out of his control, but he does not drop it. Moore comepletely drops it. And they are ruled differently. The rule needs some work.

The Murphy call leaves a bit to interpretation due to the ball moving...I think the Ref go the call wrong but it is far from the same as the 2pt conversion call....

Here is the rule with regards to possession...

Article 7 A player is in possession when he is in firm grip and control of the ball inbounds

(See 3-2-3).

To gain possession of a loose ball (3-2-3) that has been caught, intercepted, or recovered,

a player must have complete control of the ball and have both feet completely on the

ground inbounds or any other part of his body, other than his hands, on the ground inbounds.

If the player loses the ball while simultaneously touching both feet or any other

part of his body to the ground or if there is any doubt that the acts were simultaneous,

there is no possession. This rule applies in the field of play and in the end zone.

The terms catch, intercept, recover, advance, and fumble denote player possession (as

distinguished from touching or muffing).

Note 1: A player who goes to the ground in the process of attempting to secure possession

of a loose ball (with or without contact by a defender) must maintain control of the

ball after he touches the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses

control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, there is no

possession. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, it is a catch,

interception, or recovery.

Note 2: If a player goes to the ground out-of-bounds (with or without contact by an opponent)

in the process of attempting to secure possession of a loose ball at the sideline,

he must retain complete and continuous control of the ball throughout the act of falling

to the ground and after hitting the ground, or there is no possession.

Note 3: If a player has control of the ball, a slight movement of the ball will not be considered

loss of possession. He must lose control of the ball in order to rule that there has

been a loss of possession.

A catch is made when a player inbounds secures possession of a pass, kick, or fumble in

flight (See 8-1-3).

Note 1: It is a catch if in the process of attempting to catch the ball, a player secures control

of the ball prior to the ball touching the ground and that control is maintained after the

ball has touched the ground.

Note 2: In the field of play, if a catch of a forward pass has been completed, and there is

contact by a defender causing the ball to come loose before the runner is down by

contact, it is a fumble, and the ball remains alive. In the end zone, the same action is a

touchdown, since the receiver completed the catch beyond the goal line prior to the loss

of possession, and the ball is dead when the catch is completed.

This actually helps a lot. Thanks keg. There is clearly a definition of having to maintain the catch only on plays out of bounds, as expressed in Note 2. In the field of play, that is not necessarily true. Note 1. The play last night was not an out of bounds play.

However, the Louis Murphy play completely confuses me then. He was in the field of play. Made the catch. Had posession. Had two feet (or the equivalent, his rump) down. That should be a TD. But the NFL said the refs got it right. Which is it?

Like I said, it's too confusing. They gotta fix this.

Edited by CaptainHook

They showed Manning heading off the field and we wondered if he ever made his way to shake hands or went right off the field...I do think that he should have made the attempt and for all I know he did but we only see what CBS wanted or let us see.

or not...

Mike Chappell, of the Indianapolis Star, reports Indianapolis Colts QB Peyton Manning and WR Reggie Wayne did not take part in post-game handshakes with members of the New Orleans Saints following Super Bowl XLIV. "I didn't even watch them celebrate,'' Wayne said. "I was one of the first ones in the locker room. They're probably still out there." Manning added that he would eventually congratulate Saints QB Drew Brees. "I'll certainly talk to Drew,'' Manning said. "I certainly know how it was three years ago when we won. There's not much consolation for the guys that didn't win. The stage is being set up for the celebration and it was time for the Saints to celebrate at midfield. They deserved the moment.''

Great game and congrats to the Saints! :D

Dope man...

My Grand Pa told me "If some tells you look sick, get another opinion. When the second person says you look sick...LAY DOWN!"

No politics in the main forum. :D And no hijacking a thread w/ same!

An apology would be nice. Is that too much to ask?

Man up.

I apologize........but, it was no hijack of a thread in any way.......let it drop and some here,please stop wearing your emotions on your sleeve, it was just meant as a joke, please take it that way, life is to short to take everything so darn serious..... :wacko: ..........And again Congrats to the citizens of New Orleans, its been a long,long road for all of you!!!!!!!!!

Edited by dope man

The Murphy call leaves a bit to interpretation due to the ball moving...I think the Ref go the call wrong but it is far from the same as the 2pt conversion call....

Here is the rule with regards to possession...

Article 7 A player is in possession when he is in firm grip and control of the ball inbounds

(See 3-2-3).

To gain possession of a loose ball (3-2-3) that has been caught, intercepted, or recovered,

a player must have complete control of the ball and have both feet completely on the

ground inbounds or any other part of his body, other than his hands, on the ground inbounds.

If the player loses the ball while simultaneously touching both feet or any other

part of his body to the ground or if there is any doubt that the acts were simultaneous,

there is no possession. This rule applies in the field of play and in the end zone.

The terms catch, intercept, recover, advance, and fumble denote player possession (as

distinguished from touching or muffing).

Note 1: A player who goes to the ground in the process of attempting to secure possession

of a loose ball (with or without contact by a defender) must maintain control of the

ball after he touches the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses

control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, there is no

possession. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, it is a catch,

interception, or recovery.

Note 2: If a player goes to the ground out-of-bounds (with or without contact by an opponent)

in the process of attempting to secure possession of a loose ball at the sideline,

he must retain complete and continuous control of the ball throughout the act of falling

to the ground and after hitting the ground, or there is no possession.

Note 3: If a player has control of the ball, a slight movement of the ball will not be considered

loss of possession. He must lose control of the ball in order to rule that there has

been a loss of possession.

A catch is made when a player inbounds secures possession of a pass, kick, or fumble in

flight (See 8-1-3).

Note 1: It is a catch if in the process of attempting to catch the ball, a player secures control

of the ball prior to the ball touching the ground and that control is maintained after the

ball has touched the ground.

Note 2: In the field of play, if a catch of a forward pass has been completed, and there is

contact by a defender causing the ball to come loose before the runner is down by

contact, it is a fumble, and the ball remains alive. In the end zone, the same action is a

touchdown, since the receiver completed the catch beyond the goal line prior to the loss

of possession, and the ball is dead when the catch is completed.

the second bold, at the bottom, applies here also. He regained possession, TD, ball is dead, ball is kicked out.

i was wrong about the 'being touched by defender' part.

thnx keg

or not...

Mike Chappell, of the Indianapolis Star, reports Indianapolis Colts QB Peyton Manning and WR Reggie Wayne did not take part in post-game handshakes with members of the New Orleans Saints following Super Bowl XLIV. "I didn't even watch them celebrate,'' Wayne said. "I was one of the first ones in the locker room. They're probably still out there." Manning added that he would eventually congratulate Saints QB Drew Brees. "I'll certainly talk to Drew,'' Manning said. "I certainly know how it was three years ago when we won. There's not much consolation for the guys that didn't win. The stage is being set up for the celebration and it was time for the Saints to celebrate at midfield. They deserved the moment.''

i understand what he says but I don't agree with it...I think he should sought out Brees or at least someone on the team...but Manning is far from classless, classless action in this event, sure can be taken that way but Belichick had made his bed long before the SB.

New Orleans Moves To No. 3 In NFL Power Rankings

February 8, 2010 | Issue 46•05 | Onion Sports

MIAMI—On the heels of their 31-17 win over the Indianapolis Colts in Super Bowl XLIV, the New Orleans Saints rose to the third spot in the most recent NFL team power rankings. "With Drew Brees running the offense, this team has what it takes to be among of the best," ESPN.com reporter John Clayton wrote in his entry on the World Champion Saints. "I'm still not convinced their defense can take them all the way to the top, though. As I said in my rankings, I think the Colts are just a better club overall. And of course I like the depth of talent on the Cowboys." Clayton said he expected "big things" from the Saints in the 2010 season.

Edited by budlitebrad

MIAMI—On the heels of their 31-17 win over the Indianapolis Colts in Super Bowl XLIV, the New Orleans Saints rose to the third spot in the most recent NFL team power rankings. "With Drew Brees running the offense, this team has what it takes to be among of the best," ESPN.com reporter John Clayton wrote in his entry on the World Champion Saints. "I'm still not convinced their defense can take them all the way to the top, though. As I said in my rankings, I think the Colts are just a better club overall. And of course I like the depth of talent on the Cowboys." Clayton said he expected "big things" from the Saints in the 2010 season.

Say what now? :wacko:

:wacko:

Even after we've won the Superbowl there will always be the doubters & haters. In case they didn't know, we no longer care. :D

http://www.nola.com/superbowl/index.ssf/2010/02/post_4.html

New Orleans Saints party all night with Kenny Chesney, Better Than Ezra and their new trophy

By Keith Spera, The Times-Picayune

February 08, 2010, 10:26PM

It’s 3:30 on Monday morning. Do you know where your Vince Lombardi Trophy is?

In the hours before Super Bowl XLIV, the NFL championship trophy was encased in glass, polished and pristine, inside a massive bronze-tinted mausoleum in the Sun Life Stadium parking lot.

Six hours after the New Orleans Saints’ 31-17 triumph, country superstar Kenny Chesney hoisted the sterling silver football in a second-floor ballroom of the InterContinental Miami

The sleek hotel served as Saints headquarters during Super Bowl week. It was also the scene of a rollicking, post-game victory party that stretched into the wee hours of Monday morning.

Hundreds of jubilant attendees – Saints players and personnel, their families, friends and invited guests – ate, drank and made merry at the dawn of a new era of Saints football.

It was a lavish affair: Ice sculptures. Black and gold drapes and chair covers. Plumes of black, gold and white feathers. Fleur de lis everywhere.

And much pride and joy.

Wide receiver Robert Meachem held court outside the ballroom, his designer baseball cap turned backwards. Tackle Zach Strief, sporting a sport coat, pocket square and brand new Super Bowl Champions cap, stood next to a guy wearing a Zach Strief jersey. Tight end Jeremy Shockey posed for photos with an endless stream of well-wishers.

Harry Connick Jr. was in the house. The Black Eyed Peas’ Will.I.Am rolled through the lobby. Jimmy Buffett was around.

Saints coach Sean Payton, owner/executive vice present Rita Benson LeBlanc and general manager Mickey Loomis mixed and mingled. Payton, especially, was everywhere, a beer in one hand, the hard-won Lombardi Trophy in the other.

People reached out to touch it like a talisman; he was more than happy to share. New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival producer Quint Davis cradled the trophy to his chest. Better Than Ezra drummer Travis McNabb, among many others, kissed it.

It was a surreal night for the Ezra crew. They had offered to play the party if the Saints covered the band’s expenses and supplied Super Bowl tickets.

After the game, the musicians rode from the stadium to the InterContinental aboard Saints team bus No. 5. Reggie Bush and Kim Kardashian sat behind them. Up front was Archbishop Philip Hannan. James Carville led a bus singalong of “You Are My Sunshine.”

A year ago, McNabb left Better Than Ezra to tour with Sugarland. But his replacement couldn’t make BTE’s last-minute Super Bowl gig due to a scheduling conflict.

So McNabb – whose left forearm bears a fleur de lis tattoo -- got the call. He could not believe his good fortune -- neither the game’s outcome, nor his proximity to it.

On the ballroom stage, Ezra serves up a greatest-hits set with a side of Saints partisanship. At 2 a.m., they dedicate “King of New Orleans” to Payton.

“Now is the time to let your hair down,” frontman Kevin Griffin declares. The audience agrees.

Better Than Ezra’s final song? An exuberant “The Saints Are Coming,” with Rita Benson LeBlanc dancing on stage. Spirits remain high on the dance floor as a deejay cues up K. Gates’ “Black and Gold (Who Dat!).”

Next up is Chesney, a FOSP – Friend of Sean Payton. Chesney watched the NFC Championship Game from Payton’s suite in the Superdome, and attended the coach’s post-game locker-room speech.

During the Super Bowl, the singer cheered the Black & Gold from his own suite in Sun Life Stadium. Payton requested Chesney play the post-game party.

And so at 3 a.m., a guy who has filled the Indianapolis Colts’ Lucas Oil Stadium takes the stage of a Saints-centric hotel ballroom.

In a white T-shirt and Saints cap, Chesney lights into “Living in Fast Forward.” “The Saints just won the Super Bowl!” he says, as if there could be any doubt.

Payton joins Chesney and announces his intention to soon drink beer in Mexico. Thus, Chesney performs “Beer in Mexico.”

The coach and tight end David Thomas take turns at the microphone. Strief, kicker Garrett Hartley and other players roam the stage, reveling in the moment, their moment.

The audience chants “Tro-phy! Tro-phy!” Payton hands over the hardware to outstretched hands.

And suddenly the Vince Lombardi Trophy is crowd-surfing.

After 30 minutes, Chesney calls it a night. He and the coach embrace.

By 4 a.m., the party is winding down. Payton joins a small group at the bar outside the ballroom. Clear liquid is poured. Cups are drained in a final “Who Dat!” toast.

Kickers must often finish football games; so, too, the party. Hartley and fellow kicker Thomas Morstead are among the last to leave.

Hours earlier, in grand fashion, Hartley completed his second NFL season, Morstead his rookie year. Each more than earned his forthcoming Super Bowl ring.

Morstead executed the onsides kick that turned momentum in the Saints’ favor. Hartley became the first kicker to make three field goals of more than 40 yards in a Super Bowl.

Behind the bar, a flat-screen TV replays the game. The field goal that ended the second quarter is coming up. Hartley wants to watch himself score.

But the party officially ended 20 minutes ago, and the InterContinental staff wants to clean up and go home. Security guards move in, shooing stragglers toward the exit.

Hartley is silent. His friends speak up: “He just won the Super Bowl!” “He wants to see his kick!”

The guards momentarily relent. All eyes turn toward the screen; Hartley is rapt. On the field, he lines up, steps forward and sends the ball soaring.

His kick, like this night, is good.

or not...

Manning would rather talk to Brees when he didn't have all those tears running down his forehead.

Wasn't Bill Bilichek crucifiied on the boards for not shaking hands with the Giants after they lost the super bowl? I guess Peyton Manning and Reggie Wayne now fall into the classless catagory.

Marvin beat em there. But now they are a happy trio again.

it says so at the top of the original article you posted. Got rajn stirred up again tho. :wacko:

Don't know about stirred up. After all the commentary leading up to the Superbowl nothing would surprise me. Skip Bayless still refuses to give the Saints any credit for the win. :D

I apologize........but, it was no hijack of a thread in any way.......let it drop and some here,please stop wearing your emotions on your sleeve, it was just meant as a joke, please take it that way, life is to short to take everything so darn serious..... :wacko: ..........And again Congrats to the citizens of New Orleans, its been a long,long road for all of you!!!!!!!!!

Agree with Dope here - some people sure can't handle some good old joking/ribbing. I took it as a joke and chuckled - but hat may be because I am not a fan of Obama and what really has he accomplished anyway?? Oops sorry. :D

:wacko::D

All the signs are there. ESPN.com published an item on February 6, 2010 concerning quarterbacks who had won one Super Bowl. The posting stated the following:

“After completing the best season in New Orleans Saints history, Drew Brees has finally won his first Super Bowl. Brees’ lone Super Bowl victory puts him on an eclectic list of starting quarterbacks with one title to their names. From all-time greats like Brett Favre to big personalities like Jim McMahon, 18 men have started and won pro football’s biggest game but once in their careers. Below, we’ve listed the 18, and now it’s up to you to rank them from top to bottom.” – ESPN.com

The posting was later taken down and was slightly revised and republished on February 7, 2010 at 9:20 PM while the Super Bowl was still being played. Again the item stated that Drew Brees had won a Super Bowl, when he had not done so yet. One has to wonder if the fix was on. Was ESPN alerted early?

Other huge signs were the band The Who signing "Who Are You?" and Rhianna and Jay-Z signing the lyrics "Is Who gonna run this town tonight." Of course, all of these convenient coincidences tie in nicely with the theme of "Who Dat?" It's obvious that the show's producers were using the word "Who" heavily.

Edited by electricrelish

All the signs are there. ESPN.com published an item on February 6, 2010 concerning quarterbacks who had won one Super Bowl. The posting stated the following:

“After completing the best season in New Orleans Saints history, Drew Brees has finally won his first Super Bowl. Brees’ lone Super Bowl victory puts him on an eclectic list of starting quarterbacks with one title to their names. From all-time greats like Brett Favre to big personalities like Jim McMahon, 18 men have started and won pro football’s biggest game but once in their careers. Below, we’ve listed the 18, and now it’s up to you to rank them from top to bottom.” – ESPN.com

The posting was later taken down and was slightly revised and republished on February 7, 2010 at 9:20 PM while the Super Bowl was still being played. Again the item stated that Drew Brees had won a Super Bowl, when he had not done so yet. One has to wonder if the fix was on. Was ESPN alerted early?

Other huge signs were the band The Who signing "Who Are You?" and Rhianna and Jay-Z signing the lyrics "Is Who gonna run this town tonight." Of course, all of these convenient coincidences tie in nicely with the theme of "Who Dat?" It's obvious that the show's producers were using the word "Who" heavily.

:wacko: