[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2010 Vancouver Olympics

SteelBunz

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find your biterness a little weird. Can you not admit that softball is a relatively parochial sport? It is widely played in only a handful of countries in the world. It is also to a casual viewer (as is baseball) an INCREDIBLY boring stupid sport. I'm not saying it is, but if you could take off your parenting and jingoistic glasses off, you can be certain that a very large segment of the population of the world would rather watch badminton, canoeing, or even pingpong over softball. You do have me on the trampoline issue though....

While I agree that there are many sports that are ridiculous in the olympics. I mean a LOOOOOT of ridiculous ones. There is just so little objective reason that softball totally deserves to be there.

Pretty much every sport that doesn't involve ridiculously expensive equipment is played in 126 coiuntries. How many people actually play the sport is a better stat.

you lost me at jingoistic... :wacko:

I think "jingoistic" is a term that Brentastic made up meaning: your song is nothing more than a TV commercial melody.

Jingoism is actually extreme nationalism, where the notion of owes country and/or government can do no wrong, and anyone who questions it is a traitor or has created treason.

Edited by Big John

So let me get this straight. You think snowboarders don't put in a lot of time perfecting their craft. Do you have any clue at all?

No, no. That isn't what I'm saying at all. I'm simply saying that snowboarders don't put in a lot of time perfecting their craft specifically for the Olympics. Bobsledders, ice skaters, skiiers, etc. work their whole lives almost specifically for the Olympics. The Olympics are far and away the most important competition they strive for, almost since birth. I'm sure snowboarders have spent hours and hours perfecting their craft, but not specifically for the Olympics.

No, no. That isn't what I'm saying at all. I'm simply saying that snowboarders don't put in a lot of time perfecting their craft specifically for the Olympics. Bobsledders, ice skaters, skiiers, etc. work their whole lives almost specifically for the Olympics. The Olympics are far and away the most important competition they strive for, almost since birth. I'm sure snowboarders have spent hours and hours perfecting their craft, but not specifically for the Olympics.

ok. got it.

Bobsledders, ice skaters, skiiers, etc. work their whole lives almost specifically for the Olympics. The Olympics are far and away the most important competition they strive for, almost since birth. I'm sure snowboarders have spent hours and hours perfecting their craft, but not specifically for the Olympics.

This isn't really true. These sports are really popular in Europe every winter (sort of like how track and field is also popular there). Yes, the Olympics are very important, but they certainly aren't the only thing that matters for these sports. (When I was living in Europe I was dismayed that every weekend was like the Olympics because of all the winter sports they showed--you'd be shocked to know how much the Germans like the biathalon.) :wacko:

For what it's worth, the men's curling team lost to Germany 7-5. Sounds like the US didn't play very well at all, and Shuster was atrocious (by Olympic standards). They better get their act together quick or it's going to be a short tournament for them.

Last I checked the women curlers were leading Japan 3-0.

US hockey! :wacko:

For what it's worth, the men's curling team lost to Germany 7-5. Sounds like the US didn't play very well at all, and Shuster was atrocious (by Olympic standards). They better get their act together quick or it's going to be a short tournament for them.

Last I checked the women curlers were leading Japan 3-0.

US hockey! :wacko:

The U.S. looked like they were playing against a jr.high hockey team. They'll have to step it up to compete against canada, russia, sweden, and finland. I think Canada plays Norway on CNBC before too long.

Vernon Davis is the Men's Curling guest of honor this year.

My friend's dad was an Olympic curler, and both of them are up with the team this week.

Their job for the week? To entertain their guest of honor. So... my buddy is hanging out with Vernon Davis in bars all week.