[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

like groundhog day every time I see this headline

Azazello1313

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obama he is the man.

vote for me.

Hope and change

you have been had

He got no clue.

I promise you that your taxes will not go up 1 dime,

War is over if you vote for me.

Unemployment will not go over 8%.

Just wish I could kick this nicotine habit and all our dreams will come true.

I know lets go do a Oprah special and everyone will be happy.

Lets call off the feds on the dope heads and the stoners will be happy,

Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me.

U ripped off Obama girl and now she sees the light.

3 more years. can this country make it?

Time to start campaigning .Must get reelected.

I eat groundhog for breakfast

Me been on TV more than any other person,

gotta b a world record.

Where's that confounded bridge

Edited by moneymakers

Debbie Downer and his Pavlovian Lemmings!

Just look at the outside evaluations of the stimulus. Perhaps the best-known economic research firms are IHS Global Insight, Macroeconomic Advisers and Moody’s Economy.com. They all estimate that the bill has added 1.6 million to 1.8 million jobs so far and that its ultimate impact will be roughly 2.5 million jobs. The Congressional Budget Office, an independent agency, considers these estimates to be conservative.

my point in posting this was more to emphasize the "unexpected" part than the "jobless claims rise again" part. who is it doing this expecting and why are they wrong in the same direction every month? it's not even to imply that they're obama administration shills -- because it seems like it would be a lot better PR to "expect" less, so you get the headline, "Jobless claims rise less than expected".

I guess maybe the answer is, the people doing the expecting are working with the same macroeconomic models that predicted that the stimulus would keep unemployment under 8%, etc. just keep plugging numbers into those models, keep "expecting" one thing to happen, keep being surprised when reality smacks you upside the head.

$800 billion divided by 2.5 million is $320K per job :wacko:

Not all of it went towards jobs.

A few billion went to pay for his election campaigns.

Union bosses and Oprah.

You dont think acorn supported obama for free do ya?

He had to payoff the Clinton's.

Barack earmark Hussian is what I believe he is called down in the valley.

Are the unemployment numbers higher or lower than pre-stimulus?

C'mon, how bout a little regard towards econ 101 and reality? The purpose of the bill was to stop the boulder rolling downhill, not to return us to the pre-Bush days in one year.

What's one of the last economic indicators to improve when you come out of a recession for $1,000 Alex?

Which is one way to gauge the benefits of the bill. One way. I don't think anyone ever had the expectation it would create 300 jobs for every dollar spent. There were other objectives.

Edited by bushwacked

AGAIN, not all $800 billion was allocated (only of which about $330 billion has been spent so far) for job creation.

About a 1/3 was tax relief and then there was things like extending unemployment benefits.

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

$800 billion divided by 2.5 million is $320K per job :D

:wacko:

Your math is wrong....we have only deployed $272.2B of the $787B thus far.

$272.2B divided by 2.5 million = $108K per person.

While that still may seem high to some, what the number doesn't include is:

The effect on other industries helped by the stimulus project. For instance, suppose a road project has been started due to the stimulus program. Only thos jobs that go towards the project itself are counted as "jobs created". Whats not counted are employees and companies who benefited from the additional production of materiels related to paving the road, maintaining the equipment to pave the road, gas to fuel those vehicles, premiums to insurance companies since many workers are remaining employed, the money those still-employed workers continue to spend in our economy, their homes saved, the banks that own the paper on those homes staying in business....etc....etc....etc.

The trickle down effect on the economy is much much much great than the rudimentary "cost per person" evaluation you and Dmarc are trying to make.

AGAIN, not all $800 billion was allocated (only of which about $330 billion has been spent so far) for job creation.

About a 1/3 was tax relief and then there was things like extending unemployment benefits.

Accoding to the official website (last updated 1/29) the amount allocated thus far is $272.2B.

36.6% was indeed tax relief measures.

http://www.recovery.gov/Pages/home.aspx

:wacko:

Your math is wrong....we have only deployed $272.2B of the $787B thus far.

$272.2B divided by 2.5 million = $108K per person.

and 2.5 million jobs is described as its "ultimate impact", i.e. after all the money's spent and obama's done "making it rain". 1.5 million is the amount of jobs these broken models are estimating have been created so far.

so you're saying tax relief and benefits aren't supposed to create jobs by getting money in peoples' hands and stimulating demand? it's not ALL supposed to go directly from the government coffers (or printing press?) directly into some newly hired employees bank account, it (the "stimulus") is also supposed to get the economy going in the right direction by increasing demand and stimulating growth in jobs and production. I am certain that not every one of those 1.6 million jobs these guesstimates are saying have been created is somehow a direct receipient of government funds, they are factoring in all these purported "stimulative" effects of things LIKE greater aggregate demand from tax relief. I'm saying that even if they're right, that's pretty crappy bang for the buck.

Edited by Azazello1313

so you're saying tax relief and benefits aren't supposed to create jobs by getting money in peoples' hands and stimulating demand? it's not ALL supposed to go directly from the government coffers (or printing press?) directly into some newly hired employees bank account, it (the "stimulus") is also supposed to get the economy going in the right direction by increasing demand and stimulating growth in jobs and production. I am certain that not every one of those 1.6 million jobs these guesstimates are saying have been created is somehow a direct receipient of government funds, they are factoring in all these purported "stimulative" effects of things LIKE greater aggregate demand from tax relief. I'm saying that even if they're right, that's pretty crappy bang for the buck.

They could have gotten a better bang from the buck by using 100% of the funds for the direct hire of workers, but those on the right insisted on spending a large portion of it on tax relief. IIRC they actually wanted more like 50% of the money on tax relief.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but hasn't it been shown that direct job creation has a better money multiplier effect on the economy than tax cuts?

They could have gotten a better bang from the buck by using 100% of the funds for the direct hire of workers, but those on the right insisted on spending a large portion of it on tax relief. IIRC they actually wanted more like 50% of the money on tax relief.

:wacko: umm, hold on a second. I think there were a grand total of TWO republican senators who voted for the stimulus...arlen specter, who is now a democrat, and olympia snowe, who is the probably most liberal republican in congress. right after obama's inauguration, the dems were in a position to pass whatever the hell they wanted, and that is exactly what they did, with absolutely zero buy-in from "those on the right". yet somehow you are STILL trying to blame them for the epic fail?

:wacko: umm, hold on a second. I think there were a grand total of TWO republican senators who voted for the stimulus...arlen specter, who is now a democrat, and olympia snowe, who is the probably most liberal republican in congress. right after obama's inauguration, the dems were in a position to pass whatever the hell they wanted, and that is exactly what they did, with absolutely zero buy-in from "those on the right". yet somehow you are STILL trying to blame them for the epic fail?

I'm just relaying the facts. During the negotiations the R's wanted more tax cuts. And yes Snowe and Specter AND more conservative Dems tempered the bill by demanding more tax cuts.

I'm not blaming anyone for anything on this one. That's your job apparently.

• 1 month later...

I'm not surprised. The only thing that surprises me is the unemployment number is as low as it is, though that can probably be explained by those that have lost hope in getting hired. Wait until companies start laying off people to avoid the 50 employee threshold.