[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

like groundhog day every time I see this headline

Azazello1313

I didn't have the heart to bump this earlier in the week when new jobless claims unexpectedly jumped to hit at 8 month high :wacko:

Just means more people have entered the ranks of those looking for work.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't have the heart to bump this earlier in the week when new jobless claims unexpectedly jumped to hit at 8 month high :wacko:

And here I thought you would be turning cartwheels over this part . .

Despite the slow pace of layoffs in the economy at large, the government and non-profit sector was hit hard by job losses.

Government positions dominated planned job cuts, accounting for 10,731 job cuts last month, bringing the four-month total to 52,660.

"The weak link in the job market right now is the government sector, which continues to shed employees at a heavy rate," Challenger said. "Most of cuts tracked this year were concentrated in the state and local agencies."

One man's opinion (CNN)

Ignore the unemployment rate, and ignore anything you read that highlights the fact that it increased from 8.8% in March to 9% in April. It doesn't matter. It's an irrelevant number. There are so many long-term unemployed in this country, that the unemployment rate would actually be much higher if all of them were counted– more like 16% or 17%.

In fact, this uptick to 9% actually suggests more people are returning to the work force, because people who have given up looking for work are not counted in the official unemployment rate. 113,000 people who weren't counted as unemployed in March jumped back into the labor force in April.

The only number that matters is the number of jobs created - 244K in April; a LOT more than even the most optimistic economists were predicting, and within striking distance of the number (300k) of the jobs the economy needs to be creating per month to get back down to the 5% unemployment rate we had before the recession.

We also saw the jobs-created numbers for February and March revised higher. April's gains aren't some kind of blip– they are spread across a broad range of industries: retail, business and professional services, health care, manufacturing. The only major sector that saw job declines was the government, and that's a trend we've been seeing for a while as states and local governments cut workers amid budget struggles.

Bottom line: April's jobs report is a good, solid one. The job gains still may not be enough to lower the unemployment rate, especially as we see more people try to find jobs. But it shows the economy is moving in the right direction, and hiring is picking up steam.

• 4 weeks later...
+ 54,000

and half of those from one employer

Tell: What’s the McDonald’s effect?

SG: McDonald’s ran a big hiring day on April 19 — after the Labor Department’s April survey for the payrolls report was conducted — in which 62,000 jobs were added. That’s not a net number, of course, and seasonal adjustment will reduce the Hamburglar impact on payrolls. (In simpler terms — restaurants always staff up for the summer; the Labor Department makes allowance for this effect.) Morgan Stanley estimates McDonald’s hiring will boost the overall number by 25,000 to 30,000.

Just to interject something into this thread other than numbers, what are we to do (if anything) about the paradox of companies that need to sell their stuff refusing to hire or raise wages and those refusals causing people to not be able to buy their stuff?

Just to interject something into this thread other than numbers, what are we to do (if anything) about the paradox of companies that need to sell their stuff refusing to hire or raise wages and those refusals causing people to not be able to buy their stuff?

What can we do to provide incentive to produce? Mostly get out of the way IMO, but what say the rest of you?

in other words, what can we do to fix the economy? I dunno, but I think at this point, we can cross "throw gobs and gobs of borrowed government money at it" off the brainstorming list.

in other words, what can we do to fix the economy? I dunno, but I think at this point, we can cross "throw gobs and gobs of borrowed government money at it" off the brainstorming list.

why?...when we are just getting started ! :wacko:

I just want to know what it will be called since people are starting to know what the term "quantitative easing" means....and they also know it isn't good...so imo the only thing getting crossed off is the terminology, but we'll still be printing money because well, I don't know if we have any other plan....

unless we elect Ron Paul in 2012 and overhaul the monetary system which I am for, but don't like the gold standard even on a fractional level....nor do I have any idea what a good solution is, but I also don't get paid big bucks to figure it out either...

I would tend to agree at this point, as the consensus expert opinion on the matter is that it has already served its intended purpose: Obama's policies successfully averted a monumental disaster in the making.

here's a very good video by Jim Comiskey from Lindwaldock.....the best part is where he goes over the jobs report about a minute into it and then he has a recent quote (verbatim) from Lord Jacob Rothschild which "states the obvious", but him saying it speaks volumes...

watch the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTCyA7NKMYI...nel_video_title

and obviously, take Jim's opinion for what it is....an opinion, but he is well grounded in what he says...the facts are what make the clip great...

Don't bother fighting with logic.

In their myopic world, if they had a million dollars, they'd be pissed if they lost half, forgetting the fact that they could have lost it all.

Evidenced by Az's hackery reply that didn't touch on the point at hand. No-one is saying the recession is over or the recovery is moving fast enough to the satisfaction of the American people. There is, however, something to be said of how bad things were and where we are presently at. A major financial disaster was, at the very least, temporarily averted and I think history will show we elected the right guy at the right time (hell, the guy he was running against thought the fundamentals of the economy were strong in October 2008).

Apparently the May numbers were heavily influenced by numerous natural disasters and high gas prices. So here's hoping that those thing turn around. As you pointed out it's obvious there are people here that take delight in negative financial news.

• 1 month later...

very bad numbers again for June. Only 18,000 jobs added and the May numbers were revised downward from +54,000 to +25,000 and the April figures were revised from +232,000 to +217,000.

:wacko:

Given the incredibly low interest rates for government borrowing right now, it is almost criminal that the government is not engaging in more stimulus.

very bad numbers again for June. Only 18,000 jobs added and the May numbers were revised downward from +54,000 to +25,000 and the April figures were revised from +232,000 to +217,000.

Given the incredibly low interest rates for government borrowing right now, it is almost criminal that the government is not engaging in more stimulus.

Huh. Weird. I was just reading this morning's business section in the Star Tribune and it said there was a hugh jump in hiring for June. Yesterday's news, evidently.

wait, I thought all that stimulus rigamoral was just a waste of money? we don't need more people working....and screw them if they lose their homes, and our automobile, housing and banking industries collapse. They'll bounce back in 10-20 years after they all declare bankruptcy.

How much of the original stimulus for shovel ready projects, green projects and mortgage assistance has been spent? There has been all of this money supposedly pumped into the system but it is my understanding that a very small portion has been spent.

The huge problem, that I see, is that banks were bailed out and are still not lending for commercial development and SBA. The regulators are in these banks weekly reviewing reserves and banks are paranoid as hell to dip below a certain, amorphous, undefined ratio.

What do you want them to stimulate? To whom would this money go?

I'm not convinced that it would not work, but have my doubts.

Can't. Any stimulus effort will never pass the House.

exactly

How much would you like Dr. Keynes? Would another Trillion dollars be enough?

How much would you like Dr. Keynes? Would another Trillion dollars be enough?

it depends... do I get to decide how to use the money or am I going to have incorporate a ton of wrongly-targeted tax-cuts into the mix to appease the GOP?

Edited by wiegie