[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

like groundhog day every time I see this headline

Azazello1313

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A local meat packing plant has all but closed down, furloughing 90% of its workers day before yesterday. It is believed that once it packages all the product on hand they will close their doors for good. This is a family owned meatpacking plant that has been in continuous operation for 70 years.

A local meat packing plant has all but closed down, furloughing 90% of its workers day before yesterday. It is believed that once it packages all the product on hand they will close their doors for good. This is a family owned meatpacking plant that has been in continuous operation for 70 years.

So what? I'd be interested in exactly why but this could be Walmart syndrome at work - a bigger company close by.

So what? I'd be interested in exactly why but this could be Walmart syndrome at work - a bigger company close by.

So what? Well 250 people lost their jobs. At this point everything is real hush hush, so I do not know why it is closing. It isn't Walmart syndrome, that much I do know. About five years ago the company actually expanded it's operation, buying out a meat packing company about 60 miles away. They supply most of the local meat. If I had to guess they overextended themselves expanding the operation and have insufficient cash flow to ride out the recession.

so now a jobs report showing a net LOSS of 54,000 jobs and an increase in the unemployment rate is good news? :wacko:

there are some sort of modestly good signs if you dig deep enough, but this is yet another indication that the economy is completely stagnant right now.

"recovery summer" ends with a net job loss of 283,000 :tup:

so now a jobs report showing a net LOSS of 54,000 jobs and an increase in the unemployment rate is good news? :wacko:

there are some sort of modestly good signs if you dig deep enough, but this is yet another indication that the economy is completely stagnant right now.

"recovery summer" ends with a net job loss of 283,000 :tup:

How unexpected.

So what? Well 250 people lost their jobs. At this point everything is real hush hush, so I do not know why it is closing. It isn't Walmart syndrome, that much I do know. About five years ago the company actually expanded it's operation, buying out a meat packing company about 60 miles away. They supply most of the local meat. If I had to guess they overextended themselves expanding the operation and have insufficient cash flow to ride out the recession.

They should get a subsidy.

These things do happen in a free market. Would you prefer the government bailout?

They should get a subsidy.

These things do happen in a free market. Would you prefer the government bailout?

Absolutely not. I was just pointing out that the economy is starting to really take it's toll on businesses, and their employees. This is the largest local business, that I'm familiar with to be affected to date. I have a feeling we are about to see a lot more of it.

Natural selection

Yep. We are currently looking at ways to save money as next year is going to be brutal. One of the things we are definitely going to do is drop the country club memberships. Just like steak they are a luxury better reserved for more prosperous times.

Yep. We are currently looking at ways to save money as next year is going to be brutal. One of the things we are definitely going to do is drop the country club membershipS. Just like steak they are a luxury better reserved for more prosperous times.

plural? :wacko:

Edited by yo mama

Yep. We are currently looking at ways to save money as next year is going to be brutal. One of the things we are definitely going to do is drop the country club memberships. Just like steak they are a luxury better reserved for more prosperous times.

Funny thing is my club has actually GROWN this last year . . bucking most trends. A couple clubs around us may go under . . shich would make us even stronger financially.

High end clubs will always survive . . but it IS the ultimate in discretionary spending for a lot of people . . dropping over 20K a year to play golf (especially in my climate outside o Chicago) is kinda nuts . . . .

Funny thing is my club has actually GROWN this last year . . bucking most trends. A couple clubs around us may go under . . shich would make us even stronger financially.

High end clubs will always survive . . but it IS the ultimate in discretionary spending for a lot of people . . dropping over 20K a year to play golf (especially in my climate outside o Chicago) is kinda nuts . . . .

Da rich get richer.............

• 1 month later...

so, I kinda feel like I'm beating a dead horse at this point, but I also feel obliged to follow through with what I started.

New claims for jobless benefits unexpectedly rose last week, hardening the view the central bank will pump more money into the economy in hopes of boosting growth and lowering unemployment.

At the same time, record-high imports from China helped push the U.S. trade deficit wider in August, which could drag on U.S. growth and increase international tensions over trade and currency policy.

What baffling to me is 'new claims'. :wacko:

Amazing. I need bushy to tell me how the new normal is awesome.

Well, gun ownership and ammunition sales are through the freaking roof. Now might be the time to open up a company that manufactures one or both... That would be AWESOME!!

Well, gun ownership and ammunition sales are through the freaking roof. Now might be the time to open up a company that manufactures one or both... That would be AWESOME!!

You're more likely to get permitting to open a nuclear power plant.

so, I kinda feel like I'm beating a dead horse at this point, but I also feel obliged to follow through with what I started.

New claims for jobless benefits unexpectedly rose last week, hardening the view the central bank will pump more money into the economy in hopes of boosting growth and lowering unemployment.

At the same time, record-high imports from China helped push the U.S. trade deficit wider in August, which could drag on U.S. growth and increase international tensions over trade and currency policy.

Az , who did you vote for in the last presidential election ?

You're more likely to get permitting to open a nuclear power plant.

They turned down my application... Said something was unsettling about my appearance and mannerisms during the interview... Probably should have left my driver outside in the car.