[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

classic shrimp bisque

Bier Meister

kind of for shiek.... i know he digs bisque.

1 oz butter

1/4 c brunoise of yellow onion

1/4 c brunoise of carrot

about a lb of shrimp shells

1 bay leaf

4 sprigs of parsely stems

pinch of thyme (1 used 1 little branch)

1 oz tomato paste

1 oz "burnt" brandy or sherry (just flame it to cook out the alcohol)

6 oz dry white wine

1 qt of shrimp, lobster, fish, etc veloute (2 oz butter, 2 oz flour, 1 qt stock)

1 pt broth

1 c hot cream

s & wh. pepper to taste.

i make the stock and veloute first and set it aside. melt butter. lightly carmelize the onions and carrots. add shells. cook until pink. add tom paste and mix well. add thyme, parsely, and bay leaf. add wine and burnt brandy or sherry. reduce by half. add stock and veloute. boil..lower heat..simmer for about 15-20. strain soup into another pot. continue to simmer for another 5 min. add cream, s&p. i have sauted rock shrimp and added them at the end.

enjoy.

kind of for shiek.... i know he digs bisque.

:wacko:

A pound of shrimp shells is a LOT of shells! I've got a bag of shells in the freezer, and I doubt it's half a pound worth.

A pound of shrimp shells is a LOT of shells! I've got a bag of shells in the freezer, and I doubt it's half a pound worth.

You should buy shrimp with the heads on. All the best flavor is in the heads in the form of shrimp fat.

You should buy shrimp with the heads on. All the best flavor is in the heads in the form of shrimp fat.

that's another way to go.....use shrimp in shell. give them a quick cook at the time i suggested. peel them. set them aside. put shells back in.

• 7 months later...

i've done this 2 ways. one lobster should be fine for this amount. you can section a live lobster (removing tomalley and coral) and just follow the recipe. or you can drop it in boiling water and simmer for about 5 min.....then break it down to remove the meat. ...... then proceed wit the recipe.