[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wimbley to Oakland

:wacko:

Here's that big body LB the Raiders have been looking for to replace Kirk in the middle.

Wimbley value goes up, Morrison value continues to go down.

Lol. Wimbley is not a MLB he is more of a OLB/DE. If I had to take a guess, he would replace Ellis at DE opposite of Seymour, or play the other OLB spot next to Scott. I doubt he goes to the middle.

I don't think this trade hurts Morrison's value much. I doubt he'll be back in Oakland anyway with his tender.

Forgot that Wimbley played WLB the Brown's 3-4 and that he was a DE at FSU. I just checked his physical makeup - an inch on Morrison, and 15+ LBs.

Yeah, he's there to replace Greg Ellis, or play OLB on passing downs.

For a 3rd round pick... great value for Oakland. I've loved their offseason so far this year; cutting dead weight and adding no one until now.

Edited by kpholmes

Anyone else think that the Raiders could take a run at a 3-4 sometime soon?

Their last two big defensive acquisitions were Richard Seymour and Kamerion Wimbley.

And last year, they had a DE move to OLB. I think it was Trevor Scott. May be able to play opposite Wimbley.

Yes, Kirk Morrison is too small to play 3-4 Mike but it sounds like Crazy Al wants him out anyways. Smaller 3-4 Mikes can excel if the front 3 are solid anyways. D'Qwell Jackson behind Shaun Rogers and company in Cleveland comes to mind.

Ricky Brown could easily play the Ted position.

Anyone else think that the Raiders could take a run at a 3-4 sometime soon?

Their last two big defensive acquisitions were Richard Seymour and Kamerion Wimbley.

And last year, they had a DE move to OLB. I think it was Trevor Scott. May be able to play opposite Wimbley.

Yes, Kirk Morrison is too small to play 3-4 Mike but it sounds like Crazy Al wants him out anyways. Smaller 3-4 Mikes can excel if the front 3 are solid anyways. D'Qwell Jackson behind Shaun Rogers and company in Cleveland comes to mind.

Ricky Brown could easily play the Ted position.

Al has always had a fascination with the 3-4, so it wouldn't surprise me. The Raiders are the only team in the AFC West not running the 3-4, so I'm sure getting spanked by it every game is making some kind of impact.

Rob Ryan wanted to run it when he was here, but we simply didn't have the personnel for it. Al loves the idea of speed coming off the edges, and after the success Revis had in that system last year, it is probably even more intriguing for Al knowing he has a Revis-equivalent that can take away a #1 receiver and allow the defense to blitz. Maybe also an indication as to why they tendered Standord Routt so high... they wanted to keep their best man coverage guys.

Scott was the DE-turned-LB.

Would Wimbley be best as a pass rushing OLB or a 3-4 DE?

And is Tommy Kelley really big enough to play nose?

Edited by kpholmes

Al has always had a fascination with the 3-4, so it wouldn't surprise me. The Raiders are the only team in the AFC West not running the 3-4, so I'm sure getting spanked by it every game is making some kind of impact.

Rob Ryan wanted to run it when he was here, but we simply didn't have the personnel for it. Al loves the idea of speed coming off the edges, and after the success Revis had in that system last year, it is probably even more intriguing for Al knowing he has a Revis-equivalent that can take away a #1 receiver and allow the defense to blitz. Maybe also an indication as to why they tendered Standord Routt so high... they wanted to keep their best man coverage guys.

Scott was the DE-turned-LB.

Would Wimbley be best as a pass rushing OLB or a 3-4 DE?

And is Tommy Kelley really big enough to play nose?

I'd say Wimbley would return to his 3-4 WOLB position he played in Cleveland. His first year was fantastic but subsequent years weren't that great. Wimbley doesn't have the size to play 3-4 end.

I'd guess that Tommy Kelly would play end in a 3-4 scheme with Seymour obviously playing the other end. Nose tackle would be a big hole. Too bad Denver already snapped up Jamal Williams. The draft is fairly rich in nose tackle talent, maybe OAK goes there.

Keep this conversation going Kyle, we almost have a full-fledged rumor going! :wacko:

when I saw oak got wimbley along with the morrison 3rd rd tender I thought it sure looks like the raiders are either going to completely trans to a 3-4 or atleast make it a good part of their defensive snaps

• 1 month later...

Raiders to employ 3-4 defense? 	(Rotoworld) The Raiders are expected to use "some form" of the 3-4 defense as a result of their offseason moves. Analysis: Oakland has a number of 3-4 type rush linebackers (Kam Wimbley, Quentin Groves, Trevor Scott), a 3-4 inside 'backer (Rolando McClain), and 3-4 capable ends (Richard Seymour, Matt Shaughnessy). What they don't have yet is a 3-4 nose tackle. We'll know they're serious about the scheme change if they select someone like Terrence Cody or Cam Thomas in round two.

Raiders to employ 3-4 defense? 	(Rotoworld) The Raiders are expected to use "some form" of the 3-4 defense as a result of their offseason moves. Analysis: Oakland has a number of 3-4 type rush linebackers (Kam Wimbley, Quentin Groves, Trevor Scott), a 3-4 inside 'backer (Rolando McClain), and 3-4 capable ends (Richard Seymour, Matt Shaughnessy). What they don't have yet is a 3-4 nose tackle. We'll know they're serious about the scheme change if they select someone like Terrence Cody or Cam Thomas in round two.

:tup:

But we still have a serious need for a NT and a SMLB who can pave the way for McClain.

Well there's the final nail in the coffin for Durant having any shot at hanging onto the MLB spot. Guy went from a nice LB1 with top 10 upside starting last year to a borderline LB3 if he can stay on in the nickel :wacko:

Assuming he even starts and where? SLB? Probably not even worth a roster spot in that case

Well there's the final nail in the coffin for Durant having any shot at hanging onto the MLB spot. Guy went from a nice LB1 with top 10 upside starting last year to a borderline LB3 if he can stay on in the nickel :wacko:

I have been saying for I don't know how long that it wasnt a given that Durant would be starting this year and to do so he would be at a minimum competing for one of the OLBs spots.

I have been saying for I don't know how long that it wasnt a given that Durant would be starting this year and to do so he would be at a minimum competing for one of the OLBs spots.

Doubt he goes to the bench. For who Ingram, maybe Allen? I doubt it but I guess anything is a possibility. It's been clear for sometime now that his MLB spot was in jeopardy but I don't think they throw him totally to the curb. He's still the most atheltic LB on the team. Either way his value has taken a huge hit since the beginning of last year and that was my point in my being frustrated as Durant owner in 2 leagues.

Doubt he goes to the bench. For who Ingram, maybe Allen? I doubt it but I guess anything is a possibility. It's been clear for sometime now that his MLB spot was in jeopardy but I don't think they throw him totally to the curb. He's still the most atheltic LB on the team. Either way his value has taken a huge hit since the beginning of last year and that was my point in my being frustrated as Durant owner in 2 leagues.

I doubt he goes to the bench too but when you are made to compete with Clint Ingram for a job at OLB that says something too...and fwiw, I was pretty high on the kid going into last year and on another note he went to Hampton which is pretty close to where I live so I like to see guys like that make a splash too.