[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Favorites of the "cheap" wines

BeeR

Define Cheap lol

MONTE ANTICO Sangiovese-Merlot-Cabernet Sauvignon Toscana 2006

Select

Production: 60,000 cases imported

Score: 90 points

Price: $12.00

Issue: Oct 31, 2009

Best Values

Bright plum, dried cherry and flowers on the nose. Full-bodied, with fine tannins and refined berry and cherry flavors. Drink now. 80,000 cases made. –JS

I can get that for 8.99 at BJ's wholesale club right now....it's fricken fantastic...is 9 bucks a bottle cheap or are you looking for 2buckchuck cheap?

Yeah, define cheap. House Wine by Magnificent Wine Co is a great deal at $12. I've found a few $8 bottles too that weren't half bad either.

If you're talking Sutter Home, Franzia, or some other big cheap name then I've got nothing.

Independent Producers Merlot ~$10

"The Show" Cabernet Sauv ~$12

Los Cardos Sauv Blanc or Malbec ~$8

Guggenheim Malbec ~$9

Dona Paula Estate (particularly Cab Sauv and Malbec) ~$12

Anything from Leese Fitch ~$10

Liter bottles of Gruner Veltliner (I like Paul D. but I'm not sure how wide-spread distribution is on it. Berger is in more markets) ~$10

I do find one-offs at a price that would translate to $7-8 retail but they're usually some deal and wouldn't do you any good for the purpose of this conversation.

ETA: I also second the Monte Antico call. Great stuff.

Edited by detlef

Alamos Malbec is very good and can be had under 10 dollars retail in most joints (though I do have the advantage of shopping for most of my bargain wine in Costco or BJs which saves a few bucks a bottle)

I'll echo D'Arenberg Stump Jump as a good house wine

I think it's been mentioned elsewhere but Four Vines Zinfandel (their standard label) is a great zin for under 12.00

Don't really have a favorite, but this is pretty much all my wife and I buy <$12-14 per bottle, find some good ones, but always forget to write them down, can vouch for the following brands

J Lohr

Ch Ste. Jean

Robert Mondavi

rosenblum's vintner's cuvee zin is a perpetual favorite in that category, and various cotes du rhone offerings. and I have to say, I'm hardly ever disappointed in any of penfolds' cheap aussie wines. they're never very subtle or intricate, but to me they make some pretty damn good cheap wine.

No exact # in mind but I'd say roughly anything $10-12 on down (without getting silly) was what I had in mind, and admittedly for me typically stuff you can find in the grocery store (at least in these parts). Have only heard of a few listed here, will have to check.

IMO there are plenty of "drinkable," even good, wines in this range, at least for us non-super-developed palette types who nontheless don't have an iron stomach (er tongue) either. eg I used to like Yellow Tail's Shiraz, but last time or two I tried it, was very disappointed - in fact similar for most YT on the whole, have just about given up on them. Penfolds has a few I've liked, tend to run in the $10 range (including one of the few chards I liked). I had a red from Jacobs Creek sometime back and like a fool forgot what it was - just tried the Shiraz and that's definitely not it - but they only run about $6 for most so hoping to find :D Dancing Bull has a nice zin for about $10-12. Also like Menage a Trois' red blend, similar price. And there are some Virginia-specific ones I like too, most similar range.

Really I just like trying those in this range to see what I can find, almost like a treasure hunt - course being unemployed doesn't hurt :wacko: Not exactly the kind of income that lends itself to buying $20+ bottles, esp when you're a frequent imbiber.

I'd like to throw in another name here...Bogle winery has some really good value wines. Their "Old Vine Zin" is pretty good and their Cab is actually really good... I picked up a bottle of 2007 Cab from Costco today and was impressed. $9.99 and a 90 rating from Wine Enthusiast doesn't hurt either..