[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Can somebody explain this to me?

Medal of Honor

So I don't pretend to understand marketing or how TV stations make money. That being said...

How come CBS can stream every single NCAA game on their website (including my local game) for FREE with ads, but similar PAY SERVICES of the MLB and NFL black out the local games.

Does CBS just rock, or is there something I don't get?

ESPN still has a lot to learn about regional coverage as well. CBS will get you your local game started on time, whereas during the regular season ESPN will show the whole game that precedes your local game, even if that game goes into overtime.

There are many occasions on Big Monday where we will miss 10 minutes of the Big 12 game. It's maddening and absolutely unnecessary.

ESPN still has a lot to learn about regional coverage as well. CBS will get you your local game started on time, whereas during the regular season ESPN will show the whole game that precedes your local game, even if that game goes into overtime.

There are many occasions on Big Monday where we will miss 10 minutes of the Big 12 game. It's maddening and absolutely unnecessary.

The regional coverage thing is a double edge sword. Mind you, this happens more with radio, but it frustrates the hell out of me to have the local radio affiliates ignore the world of real college FB in order to saturate me with with world of ECU and Duke football.

As to missing the beginning of my local bball game to catch the end of an overtime game? I guess I'm more a fan of the game than a diehard loyalist of any one team (though I certainly root for UNC), so I think I'd often prefer that. At least as long as it's just a few minutes at the beginning.

So I don't pretend to understand marketing or how TV stations make money. That being said...

How come CBS can stream every single NCAA game on their website (including my local game) for FREE with ads, but similar PAY SERVICES of the MLB and NFL black out the local games.

Does CBS just rock, or is there something I don't get?

CBS just negotiated a different deal with the NCAA. Plus, the tourney has no issue with attendance, even in the early rounds, whereas MLB/NFL black games out if the game is not a sell out. I hate that the non-regional NBA games are blacked out on the Fox Sports channels. I like to see more than just the Lakers and Clippers, especially since I am not a fan of them, but no, I get the channels, I would just have to pay extra for the NBA Pass in order to see the games.

The regional coverage thing is a double edge sword. Mind you, this happens more with radio, but it frustrates the hell out of me to have the local radio affiliates ignore the world of real college FB in order to saturate me with with world of ECU and Duke football.

As to missing the beginning of my local bball game to catch the end of an overtime game? I guess I'm more a fan of the game than a diehard loyalist of any one team (though I certainly root for UNC), so I think I'd often prefer that. At least as long as it's just a few minutes at the beginning.

Case in point about the downside of regional coverage:

Tonight, both Pitt/Xav and A&M/Purdue games are going down to the wire but I get to watch the last 4 minutes of the Duke/Cal game that was long over. And yes, my issue has nothing to do with the fact that I'm not a Duke fan. If this was UNC, I'd be screaming at the TV to switch coverage. I don't need to watch UNC's scrubs mop up an easy victory anymore than I need to see Duke's. Especially with two other tourney games going down to the wire.