[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

219 - 212

Brentastic

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Who else noticed how they also slipped in another reform on this bill - one that will discontinue private lending of student loans and force all students to use Direct Lending (Department of Education) which means students have zero options when taking stafford loans. Most schools prefer FFELP (private lending) to direct lending because the service is better and more efficient and also because private lenders provide incentives that lower interest rates. The base rate is the same between private and government, so essentially, this screws the student. Nice going Obama!!

I’ve been on a soapbox for months now about the harm that our overheated talk is doing to us. Yes it mobilizes supporters – but by mobilizing them with hysterical accusations and pseudo-information, overheated talk has made it impossible for representatives to represent and elected leaders to lead. The real leaders are on TV and radio, and they have very different imperatives from people in government. Talk radio thrives on confrontation and recrimination. When Rush Limbaugh said that he wanted President Obama to fail, he was intelligently explaining his own interests. What he omitted to say – but what is equally true – is that he also wants Republicans to fail. If Republicans succeed – if they govern successfully in office and negotiate attractive compromises out of office – Rush’s listeners get less angry. And if they are less angry, they listen to the radio less, and hear fewer ads for Sleepnumber beds.

So today’s defeat for free-market economics and Republican values is a huge win for the conservative entertainment industry. Their listeners and viewers will now be even more enraged, even more frustrated, even more disappointed in everybody except the responsibility-free talkers on television and radio. For them, it’s mission accomplished. For the cause they purport to represent, it’s Waterloo all right: ours.

This is one of the best ways I've seen it put.

Who else noticed how they also slipped in another reform on this bill - one that will discontinue private lending of student loans and force all students to use Direct Lending (Department of Education) which means students have zero options when taking stafford loans. Most schools prefer FFELP (private lending) to direct lending because the service is better and more efficient and also because private lenders provide incentives that lower interest rates. The base rate is the same between private and government, so essentially, this screws the student. Nice going Obama!!

Having private banks administer the loans was a PURE giveaway to the banks. I'm glad they got rid of this BS.

You will be turned into soylent green.

Then maybe I should support this because I'm all for killing the poor and old to help this country. It would be solvent again tomorrow if we rid ourselves of the dead weight.

If Republicans succeed – if they govern successfully in office and negotiate attractive compromises out of office – Rush’s listeners get less angry. And if they are less angry, they listen to the radio less, and hear fewer ads for Sleepnumber beds.

No doubt about it. Outrage is the principle product of conservative media.

Having private banks administer the loans was a PURE giveaway to the banks. I'm glad they got rid of this BS.

You're wrong. The government pays the subsidized interest on the subsidized loans while the students are in school only (regardless of who the lender is - even if it's the goverment themselves). BUT what's not being discussed is the money lenders pay back to the goverment called the special allowance payment - quarterly this amount is paid by lenders to the government. So in the end, the government receives money from the lenders but none of that is being reported. All this gets masked because the government wants to be the entire student loan industry - it's a big market to control and they pulled it off with little to no resistance.

No doubt about it. Outrage is the principle product of conservative media.

And living in fantasyland is the priciple product of the progressives. Or maybe they're intentionally bankrupting this country. :wacko:

:wacko:

While there may be things in there I don't necessarily like, and the methods to get to this end were a little slimy (though no more slimy than other measures enacted in the past).....there are 32 million people that can breathe a sigh of relief....which is a good thing.

From Perch's favorite "NY Slimes"...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/22/opinion/...;pagewanted=all

Just as Social Security grew from a modest start in 1935 to become a bedrock of the nation’s retirement system, this is a start on health care reform, not the end. A lot will depend on whether future presidents and Congresses stick to the savings and deficit targets set in this legislation; on how aggressively states administer the new exchanges; on how health care professionals and institutions respond to the challenge of changing their ways; and on how the public responds to the mandate that everyone obtain insurance or pay a penalty.

That comparison completely changed my mind and now I'm all warm and fuzzy about the health care reform.

Too bad Social Security is running at a deficit (:D) and could bankrupt the country in combination with Medicare and Medicaid.

+1 billion

Not sure how anyone can be against this.

You are getting only a portion of the information. You are basing decisions on what the goverment wants you to believe, not the full truth. This assumption is wrong - I work in the industry and trust me, we do not receive free subsidies from the government. Each quarter we pay the government much more than we get.

While there may be things in there I don't necessarily like, and the methods to get to this end were a little slimy (though no more slimy than other measures enacted in the past).....there are 32 million people that can breathe a sigh of relief....which is a good thing.

I'm not even sure I'd consider it "slimy". Now had they used the "Deem and Pass" approach, yes, that's slimy.

Just what the country needs.

32 more million people on Medicaid.

woo hoo

Thats your government option u get to pay for or get a fine.

Dont you love change?

I'm not up on the details -- Will there be insurance police that come to your house to arrest you if you don't pay the fine?

They can't enter without probable cause, like for instance, to check your mattresses for their tags. So, in other words, if they come in to make sure you haven't removed the tags from your mattress and then just happen to notice you don't have insurance, then you're frakked.

They can't enter without probable cause, like for instance, to check your mattresses for their tags. So, in other words, if they come in to make sure you haven't removed the tags from your mattress and then just happen to notice you don't have insurance, then you're frakked.

Except the law is that the tag can't be removed "EXCEPT BY THE CONSUMER", meaning the store can't remove it but a person at home can.