[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

UFC 111

I Like Soup

The last couple of UFC's haven't been exactly enticing to me even though I am a big fan of the sport. I won't be missing this one, even on date night. :wacko:

Two "championships" on the line, GSP vs Hardy and Mir gets yet another crack at an interim title against Shane Carwin. Both look like intriguing fights to me.

I'm in ..... looking forward to seeing Carwin for the first time. I heard noone has got out of the 1st round against him. I love GSP and I look forward to seeing how Hardy deals with his athleticism. Hardy's got big hands but I don't see him being able to handle GSP once he's on his back. Who else is on the card?

I'm in ..... looking forward to seeing Carwin for the first time. I heard noone has got out of the 1st round against him. I love GSP and I look forward to seeing how Hardy deals with his athleticism. Hardy's got big hands but I don't see him being able to handle GSP once he's on his back. Who else is on the card?

Some potential good fights with Matt Brown, Nate Diaz, Ben Saunders, and some vets.

Fight card.

That was disturbing... What in the blue hell was Margliotta thinking letting Carwin pulverize Mir when Mir was clearly knocked the Eff out? How many shots does an unconcious guy need to take? MMA needs to revoke his license. The guy clearly has no place officiating on this level. He's been terrible in every big time fight he's been involved in the past two years...

And Rousimar Palhares should be heavily fined for his antics tonight. As someone who loves grappling and submission fighting, I have to say the submission was excellent, but when a guy taps, you let up. I counted five clear taps on his arm then ankle/knee devestation. Drwal's career may be over depending on how bad that leg is messed up. Absolutely no room for that kind of thuggery in Mixed Martial Arts. This isn't freaking bum fights. Who was officiating that fight again?

Other than that a few observations that I made during the fights...

I think GSP is extremely dominant, and if not for his sloppyness when taking the back, he would have ended the fight 4-5 times. I think he knew Hardy had nothing to threaten him with and he jumped the gun instead of executing the way he can.

Hardy has zero sprawl. Not that it makes any difference, because if GSP can take Penn down at will, he can take down anyone, but at least try. I never saw an attempt at a sprawl from Hardy. Maybe the Monks should have had a class on the sprawl and how to prevent single after double after single after double leg takedown. He is a tough bastard though. I thought he was dead to rights several times tonight.

Nate Diaz continues to be one of the hardest fighters to gauge as far as develpment goes. a TKO at 2:47 in the first makes me think he may be learning something from Nick.

Poor Frank Mir. I thought the newly bulked up 265 pound Mir would have had something more for Carwin. I was wrong. I don't think Carwin is as good as the hype, so I guess Mir just can't handle wrestlers. Or maybe Mir overlooked him with his hatred for Lesnar.

My biggest question is when will Penn/GSP/Silva/Lesnar lose? I don't see anyone in the world being able to contend at 155 with Penn. At 170 maybe Nick Diaz, but that's not going to happen. Maybe Vitor can challange Anderson if he's healthy and ready to go before AS retires... Lesnar will walk through Carwin, because no one in MMA can outmuscle Lesnar. He's too big, too talented, and now too smart to be beaten by anyone on the roster. Outside of Shogun beating Machida again in a few months, I don't see any other belts changing hands for a long, long time.

Honest question... Why do the Diaz boys always have to be such tools? At the weigh-ins the other day, every set of fighters shook hands before doing their fight "pose," except for Diaz-Markham. Markham reaches out, as though to shake Nate's hand, and Nate ignores him, then gets all up in Rory's face, like he wants a piece of him, right then and there. :wacko: Then, as they walk away, Nick gives Markham the stare down, like he wants a piece of him as well.

If this was a one-time thing, I might be inclined to think that maybe there was some reason why Markham was the one who was out of line... maybe he said something to them, maybe there's history between them, etc. But, the Diaz boys act like Megan Foxes in about 50% of the fights that I've seen one of them involved in, which probably amounts to at least a dozen fights or so. What's up with that? Are they trying to prove that they're tougher than everybody else? All their antics really accomplish is prove that "you can take Stockton people out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of people from Stockton."

I guess they're just the UFC's version of white trash. :D

That was disturbing... What in the blue hell was Margliotta thinking letting Carwin pulverize Mir when Mir was clearly knocked the Eff out? How many shots does an unconcious guy need to take? MMA needs to revoke his license. The guy clearly has no place officiating on this level. He's been terrible in every big time fight he's been involved in the past two years...

And Rousimar Palhares should be heavily fined for his antics tonight. As someone who loves grappling and submission fighting, I have to say the submission was excellent, but when a guy taps, you let up. I counted five clear taps on his arm then ankle/knee devestation. Drwal's career may be over depending on how bad that leg is messed up. Absolutely no room for that kind of thuggery in Mixed Martial Arts. This isn't freaking bum fights. Who was officiating that fight again?

This is the kind of stuff I was talking about when I questioned if Mir saying he literally wanted to kill Lesnar was a sign the fighters were going to far these days. The more personal they all take it, the more likely someone is to get hurt. Obviously, as brutal a sport as it is, the fighters having enough respect for each other to let up when necessary is CRITICAL to the sport's survival. Seems to me guys are increasingly pushing the envelope and that is a problem for the sport and the fighters.

Honest question... Why do the Diaz boys always have to be such tools? At the weigh-ins the other day, every set of fighters shook hands before doing their fight "pose," except for Diaz-Markham. Markham reaches out, as though to shake Nate's hand, and Nate ignores him, then gets all up in Rory's face, like he wants a piece of him, right then and there. :wacko: Then, as they walk away, Nick gives Markham the stare down, like he wants a piece of him as well.

If this was a one-time thing, I might be inclined to think that maybe there was some reason why Markham was the one who was out of line... maybe he said something to them, maybe there's history between them, etc. But, the Diaz boys act like Megan Foxes in about 50% of the fights that I've seen one of them involved in, which probably amounts to at least a dozen fights or so. What's up with that? Are they trying to prove that they're tougher than everybody else? All their antics really accomplish is prove that "you can take Stockton people out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of people from Stockton."

I guess they're just the UFC's version of white trash. :D

The Diaz brothers grew up in Stockton California in a very rough upbringing. I can tell you that Nick Diaz is a lot more respectful in the sense that after the fight 9 times out of 10 is respectful to a degree and usually tells the opponent he just beat that they are welcome to come train at his gym anytime. Thing is, Nick has elite ground skills and boxing, and he's known as a great teacher so he's actually offering them something of great value.

Nate on the other hand is the younger brother who has a chip on his shoulder from being Nick Diaz's little brother. I root for him because he's a Ceasar Gracie fighter, but his attitude does seem to be stuck on dbag.

I've talked to several people who have met both of them and say they couldn't be any different outside of the stage. Very cool down to earth guys... Although Nick Diaz is known to try and get people to go all organic with eating and what not. Outside of beating the bejesus out of people, he's a hippy.

This is the kind of stuff I was talking about when I questioned if Mir saying he literally wanted to kill Lesnar was a sign the fighters were going to far these days. The more personal they all take it, the more likely someone is to get hurt. Obviously, as brutal a sport as it is, the fighters having enough respect for each other to let up when necessary is CRITICAL to the sport's survival. Seems to me guys are increasingly pushing the envelope and that is a problem for the sport and the fighters.

I was more disturbed by the submission that never ended. But both things need to be stopped. The thing that I love about this sport is the sportsmanship that has always gone into this. You can be enemies for 15-25 minutes trying to knock each other out, choke them out, or sub them, but once the bell rings or your oppenent is tapping or out cold you let up, shake hands and go about your business. If Hardy would have had his arm broken because he was refusing to tap last night, it would have been his own fault and it wouldn't have bothered me. But when someone is defenseless or tapping and you keep it up it's against everything that I'm for. It made me uncomfortable the same way Faces of Death does, just on a much lower level.

Dana White has to go to the sactioning body of MMA and get thigns changed. Margliotta is going to get someone killed. They have to change the way fights are officiated/judged and penalize those who take things to far. As someone who has been a supporter of MMA and the UFC in it's dark days, I will say that if this behavior continues I will shy away from paying/watching fights unil things are changed. I don't like bumfights. I don't like seeing people trying to tap and not being able to. That's bordering on torture to me. There is zero place for that in this sport.

I was more disturbed by the submission that never ended. But both things need to be stopped. The thing that I love about this sport is the sportsmanship that has always gone into this. You can be enemies for 15-25 minutes trying to knock each other out, choke them out, or sub them, but once the bell rings or your oppenent is tapping or out cold you let up, shake hands and go about your business. If Hardy would have had his arm broken because he was refusing to tap last night, it would have been his own fault and it wouldn't have bothered me. But when someone is defenseless or tapping and you keep it up it's against everything that I'm for. It made me uncomfortable the same way Faces of Death does, just on a much lower level.

Dana White has to go to the sactioning body of MMA and get thigns changed. Margliotta is going to get someone killed. They have to change the way fights are officiated/judged and penalize those who take things to far. As someone who has been a supporter of MMA and the UFC in it's dark days, I will say that if this behavior continues I will shy away from paying/watching fights unil things are changed. I don't like bumfights. I don't like seeing people trying to tap and not being able to. That's bordering on torture to me. There is zero place for that in this sport.

I agree completely. When I started watching UFC regularly a few years ago, one of the things that really attracted me to it was the respect that the fighters had for each other. If there had been trash talking and thuggery AFTER the fights, I don't think I would have taken a liking to it... It would have been far too much like professional wrestling for me to be interested in it. But, seeing guys talk all sorts of trash BEFORE the fights, go to battle for 15 or 25 minutes, and then embrace afterward was sort of refreshing... Similar to what they do at the end of a playoff series in hockey. Throw everything aside and let your opponent know that they earned your respect for the way they brought it. You don't really see that at all in baseball (I know... it's traditionally how it's been forever), and you actually see less and less of it in football and basketball as well.