[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Trailer Mounted Smoker

Perchoutofwater

Which smoker to get?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which one of these smokers looks best?

• Diamond Plated 50 FAT
    • The Cowboy Cooker

I'm pretty involved at church and am asked to cook for the congregation a couple of times a year. I also do some cooking for some charity events a couple of times a year, and go hunting 6 to 8 times a year where I'll smoke something. Up until now I've always just rolled my smoker and gas grill up onto a trailer, and tied them down as best I could hoping that they stay where I put them. I also have to wait until they cool down to tie them back down when I get ready to leave. My smoker's smoke chamber is only 40" long by 20"dia., so it is on the small side for all the events I cook for and even when my wife's entire family is in town (she has 6 sisters and 22 nieces/nephews). So, I've been thinking about selling my back yard smoker and buying a trailer mounted smoke. I think I've narrowed it down to these two. They are probably both a little bit larger than what I need with the exception of a couple of times a year, but I'd rather have too much space then not enough. Which do you think would be better?

Diamond Plated 50 Fat By the time I add all the options on this one the price of the two will be very close to the same.

or

The Cowboy Cooker (I'd omit the extremely over priced cutting board which he which would knock $650 off the price)

Edited by Perchoutofwater

I think I actually like the design of the Diamond Plate better than the Cowboy Cooker. It seems like you have to reach over stuff to load in and load out meat. There also seem to be a lot of goofy stuff (axe handles? really?) that are superfluous. I would totally want to see these two jobbies in person before I plonked down that kind of cash.

I think I actually like the design of the Diamond Plate better than the Cowboy Cooker. It seems like you have to reach over stuff to load in and load out meat. There also seem to be a lot of goofy stuff (axe handles? really?) that are superfluous. I would totally want to see these two jobbies in person before I plonked down that kind of cash.

No doubt. The guy that makes the Cowboy Cooker is only about 5 minutes from my house. The Diamond Plate is about 5 hours away. I agree regarding the axe handles, and really don't care for them, but supposedly it's like that guy's signature. Also if I get the Cowboy Cooker, it will not have the fancy paint job or the logos. It will just be plain black.

Small world. I was looking on-line for the trailer mounted smokers and found the Cowboy Cooker, which is made literally 7 minutes from my house. I go to look at the guys workmanship and find out the guy that makes them is the younger brother of a guy I played ball with in high school. I'm going to end up getting the Cowboy Cooker sans the fancy paint and logos, plus a utensil box/spice rack with 5 drawers, a spare tire, two 30# LP bottles,. and my old 32" wide stainless steel LP grill that mounted on it for roughly 10% less that what he lists the Cowboy Cooker for. :wacko:

He was also willing to work me into the fabrication schedule so that I will get it May 15th, so I should be able to get it seasoned and ready to cook for the Memorial Day weekend bash, and I'll also have it for the ACS party for all the kids with cancer in our county the second weekend in June.

The Diamond looks like something a smoker would use

The Cowboy looks like it says"Look how much I spent on my cool pull behind smoker!"

They cost roughly the same, and I actually was able to get the Cowboy cheaper than I could have gotten the Diamond. I've never seen a smoker like the Diamond where as I know 6 or 7 people that have trailers similar to the Cowboy. The Diamond does look like an interesting design, but it doesn't have near the cargo space of the Cowboy, which that and getting a good deal on it really swayed me.

I'm just not sure I could buy a smoker called The Cowboy.

This just sounds like a smoker they used on Smokeback Mountain.

So you're saying that the Cowboy Cooker is cousin to the Cleveland Steamer?

• 1 month later...

Well, this past Thursday was like Christmas in May. My new handmade holster came in, and my smoker came in. Here are some crappy cell phone pictures of the smoker.

Smoker 1

Smoker 2

Thursday night I seasoned it, and I smoked two pork butts and two chickens Friday. The temperature control is so easy it is ridiculous. The only downside, is it really eats the wood. Still, I'm loving it.

What are the propane tanks used for>

I have the little 32" gas grill on one side, as well as two star burners on the back for frying fish, cooking chili or a pot of beans or making sauce. Also the fire box has a gas burner mounted on the side wall to help start the fire.

Well, this past Thursday was like Christmas in May. My new handmade holster came in, and my smoker came in. Here are some crappy cell phone pictures of the smoker.

Smoker 1

Smoker 2

Thursday night I seasoned it, and I smoked two pork butts and two chickens Friday. The temperature control is so easy it is ridiculous. The only downside, is it really eats the wood. Still, I'm loving it.

Looks good, Perch. Have fun with it.

What holster did you get?

What holster did you get?

Tucker Gun Leather IWB Texas Heritage It is very comfortable. It looks and feels like it will hold up pretty well. It is an easy draw, and even though it doesn't have a reinforced mouth, it is still pretty east to reholster the gun. I'm really pleased with it so far. The only downside is it took 3 1/2 months to get.