[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Blackberry, droid or iphone?

bpwallace49

So I currently have a Blackberry pearl that I hate, i have been looking at Droids, Iphones and newer blackberries, as well as the Palm Pre.

I need it for e-mail, limited texting, and phpne service around 700 min a month. i dont need games on my phone. My main platform needed is work e-mail and calendar sync with my Outlook calendar

What are the pluses/minuses from owners of iphone/Palm and Blackberry tour/curve?

TIA . . .

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I currently have a Blackberry pearl that I hate, i have been looking at Droids, Iphones and newer blackberries, as well as the Palm Pre.

I need it for e-mail, limited texting, and phpne service around 700 min a month. i dont need games on my phone. My main platform needed is work e-mail and calendar sync with my Outlook calendar

What are the pluses/minuses from owners of iphone/Palm and Blackberry tour/curve?

TIA . . .

Don't get the curve if you get a BB, get the new tour (coming soon) or the current tour

Don't get the curve if you get a BB, get the new tour (coming soon) or the current tour

I'm waiting for the new Tour on Verizon (supposedly out in May), though I hear it will come out under the Bold name.

Edit to add: Currently have a Curve. I like it, but after a year plus, the trackball is getting stuck more and more frequently. Other than that, no major issues and I have enjoyed it. New Tour has a sensor pad, not a trackball, so waiting on that rather than going with current tour which has trackball.

Edited by Big Country

I have an iPhone and I like it a lot. It does sync with Outlook and the texting interface is awesome -- big "keys" and intuitive spell correction.

In my area AT&T's network is great, I'm able to pick up 3G 99% of the time. Web browsing is comparable to my home PC in terms of speed. But I have heard that AT&T's coverage is not the best in some areas, so you would have to look into that.

I like my Droid well enough, though it will not do some of the things the wife's iPhone does. If Verizon offered iPhones, I'd probably switch to the iPhone.

Looks like this will come late this year or early next year based on the news I saw this morning. The rumors of it happening sent Apple shares through the roof.

Looks like this will come late this year or early next year based on the news I saw this morning. The rumors of it happening sent Apple shares through the roof.

I've been hearing rumors about that for 6 months. As late as December there were rumors that Verizon would be carrying them the first part of this year. Our corporate account guy actually thought it was going to to happen.

I've been hearing rumors about that for 6 months. As late as December there were rumors that Verizon would be carrying them the first part of this year. Our corporate account guy actually thought it was going to to happen.

Apple's exclusivity deal with AT&T hasn't run out yet, so that would not have been possible. Yahoo has an article up that says some time next year is most plausible, if it does happen.

I should be getting my new Bold today. It will be my first smart phone & I'm hoping I didn't waste my time going with it over the iPhone because I could get it free. If it's going to be a while before you get yours I'll let you know how I like it as a first time user.

I would look hard at the droid, or the nexus one, or another with the android 2.0 OS, because it is slick. I am most impressed with how well the voice recognition works and makes so many things easier than they were on the iphone -- making calls, getting directions (with free turn-by-turn GPS), looking stuff up online.

TIA . . .

I have the BB World Edition and it works pretty well. I've had it for the past three years and nothing crazy has gone wrong with it. I am looking to upgrade as well, but will likely stick with another BB of some sort.

HTC HD2 - AMAZING PHONE & NOW upgradeable to winmo7!!!!

I agree with this. I have one, and it is easily the best phone Ive ever used.

However, everything Ive read states it is NOT upgradeable to Win7. Unless that has changed in a day or 2... I read there was a ROM you might be able to install, but it likely isnt gonna be supported unless it is an approved device by Microsoft.

Anyay, the HD2 is the shiznit.

TIA . . .

Well, since Verizon will now be carrying the new iPhone - I'd say get the iPhone. AT&T service has ruined the iPhone and I enjoy mine, just not the BS that comes along with AT&T.

I love my Android phone. I have never lacked for any application I've ever wanted. Syncs with Exchange or Gmail or Google Calendar, great interface.

My hardware (the G1, now two years old) has a very very crappy camera though. I'd get a Droid or the Eris or something else.

I had an iphone for 2 years before getting a droid a couple months ago. I liked the iphone quite a bit.

ways the droid is better:

- the integrated google aps (particularly voice integration) are awesome, they've changed the whole smartphone experience for me.

- free, top-notch turn-by-turn navigation with google maps

- wicked fast processing and downloading compared with my iphone. (granted that is not an apples to apples comparison, as my iphone was first gen. )

- verizon vs att

- better camera, with flash. terrible flash, but still a flash.

- if you use gmail, android uses it more like it shows up on your browser (with nested conversations and the like), instead of just a generic pop3 email.

ways the iphone was better:

- visual voicemail was free (I think you have to pay 3 bucks a month or something with verizon)

- the music synching was a lot better with itunes than the crap motorola program

- their multi-touch technology makes zooming and shrinking slightly easier and more intuitive

other things I view as a wash. touch screen keyboard is fine on both, don't really see an advantage either way. the slide out keyboard of the droid is nice to have I guess, but I rarely use it, having gotten pretty used to the touch screen typing. when android gets flash support, that will be a nice plus. all in all, the droid is a better experience. the newer android phones have really stepped up to give the iphone a run for its money by offering some features the iphone doesn't.