[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Can you Smoke in a Grill?

The Wolf

OK...I wanted to buy a smoker but from what I've read, you really cannot grill on a smoker. Because I cannot buy both a grill and a smoker (cost and space limitations), I need to buy a grill. Question is this: can I smoke on a charcoal grill and if so, which grill would work best? I am sure that if you can smoke on a grill, it is not the absolute best experience, but would it at least work pretty well?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by The Wolf

OK...I wanted to buy a smoker but from what I've read, you really cannot grill on a smoker. Because I cannot buy both a grill and a smoker (cost and space limitations), I need to buy a grill. Question is this: can I smoke on a charcoal grill and if so, which grill would work best? I am sure that if you can smoke on a grill, it is not the absolute best experience, but would it at least work pretty well?

Thanks in advance!

If you get an offset firebox, you can do both. I do both all the time on mine. Something like this:

http://www.barbecue-smoker-grill.com/smpitprhochs.html

In this writeup of my Brunswick Stew, I explain how I used my gas grill to smoke chicken. Then same principal applies to a charcoal grill. Basically, use indirect heat, keep the temps in the grill between 225 and 250 degrees Fahrenheit and be patient.

Like SLD said, having an offset firebox helps a lot, but it is not an absolute requirement. The most important thing is to have a large enough cooking surface so that you can keep the protein away from direct heat. One thing that I would consider a necessity is a built in thermometer. Grill temps are important but no where near as important as smoker temps.

Now, I assume that space considerations are the primary reason for this all in one approach. I'm a fan of specialized equipment for a specific job, but you can get things that will do both. If your pockets are deep then the Big Green Egg is the way to go. If your pockets are more like mine, then something like SLD's approach isn't bad. Finally, there is nothing wrong with the standard Weber Kettle to do this sort of thing either.

Just remember that the ability to control temperature will be key.

If you get an offset firebox, you can do both. I do both all the time on mine. Something like this:

http://www.barbecue-smoker-grill.com/smpitprhochs.html

+1 Though I would add one important note. You want to grill over the fire box, which is why in the past when I've had smokers made I've had larger than needed fire boxes put on them. You do not want to put charcoal into the actual smoking chamber. Doing this can cause the pit to catch on fire. When you smoke a lot, grease from the the meat fat will build up as a coating in the smoke chamber and if you put a flame in that chamber it will ignite. When you just do grilling the grease is burnt off as it is created for the most part so you don't have this problem. These types of fires while they may not seem like a big deal because they are easily contained and will burn off pretty quickly will affect the heat resistant paint coating on the inside of the smoker chamber which will in turn cause it to flake of getting on your food, and also shortening the life of the smoker.

Guys, much appreciated. Thanks for the input! SLD, I love that grill but at 5 feet long, it is too big for the area I have (we live in a condo) so I will have to go with something smaller, perhaps like a Weber One Touch 26 2/4 : http://bbq.about.com/od/charcoalgrillrevie...aapr120908a.htm

KC, thanks for the info...large enough surface, keep the meat off indirect heat, temperature gauge. Got it!

Guys, much appreciated. Thanks for the input! SLD, I love that grill but at 5 feet long, it is too big for the area I have (we live in a condo) so I will have to go with something smaller, perhaps like a Weber One Touch 26 2/4 : http://bbq.about.com/od/charcoalgrillrevie...aapr120908a.htm

KC, thanks for the info...large enough surface, keep the meat off indirect heat, temperature gauge. Got it!

The Weber is the best IMO.

For smoking just set your coals to one side, add a water pan for moisture and to help slow down the heat, and put your meat on the other side. I've done it many times like this and it works fine.

Thanks CN...my budget is "comfortable" and I could afford an Egg, but at this newbie stage of my grilling/smoking career, I am more comfortable going for something cheaper. Someday, as my skills improve, I will buy an Egg for sure!

I'm picking up a Weber One Touch Gold, 26.75 inch, tomorrow! Found it online for $276, no tax and no shipping. I started making calls to local Weber dealers, and one agreed to match the price, although I will have to pay tax. I'm cool with this...keep the business local and get it in my hands tomorrow!

I really, really appreciated all of the input. Thanks, fellas!!

Thanks CN...my budget is "comfortable" and I could afford an Egg, but at this newbie stage of my grilling/smoking career, I am more comfortable going for something cheaper. Someday, as my skills improve, I will buy an Egg for sure!

I'm picking up a Weber One Touch Gold, 26.75 inch, tomorrow! Found it online for $276, no tax and no shipping. I started making calls to local Weber dealers, and one agreed to match the price, although I will have to pay tax. I'm cool with this...keep the business local and get it in my hands tomorrow!

Can I just say.....

It's not something you really need skill for if you go the Egg/Kamado Route (I would actually buy a Kamado if I did not already own an XL egg).

It's not just about being a smoker, it really is a much higher quality grill. I could go on at length, but here is the basics of what you need to know about it:

- You light it like any other charcoal grill ie. don't use lighter fluid or crappy charcoal. Get a charcoal starter and light with that. it makes a flavor difference.

- The temperature is very, very easy to control. It takes a few uses to get a feel for how to adjust the air flow, but that is 100% all you need to go from 200º to 800º and the difference between slow smoking a shoulder or a 20 LB turkey versus hot searing steaks.

- You can get it locally. Just look online for an egg dealer.

- Because of the temperature controls it is actually much easier to smoke on one of these than you can imagine. Soak chips overnight. Start charcoal. Set temperature. Throw wet chips into smoking coals. Add meat. Wait. Add more chips/charcoal if necessary on a long smoke. Seriously. It's beyond easy.

I am not really zealous about many products, and I am not about the Egg specifically, but the technology is really the right one if you want a GREAT grill and a GREAT smoker and a GREAT outdoor oven that you can bake or roast in. You really can't beat it.

http://www.gpmpoolandspa.com/

Just trying to save you the $279 "starter fee" :wacko:

Edited by Caveman_Nick

AAAAUUUUGGGGHHHH!!!!!

I'm sorry. I feel as if you just stabbed me in my soul.

Stand in front of the mirror and read these quotes to yourself:

“The greatest barrier to success is the fear of failure.”

“Many of us crucify ourselves between two thieves - regret for the past and fear of the future.”

“Fear of failure must never be a reason not to try something.”

“Fear is a habit; so is self-pity, defeat, anxiety, despair, hopelessness and resignation. You can eliminate all of these negative habits with two simple resolves: I can!! and I will!!”

You can afford The Egg. You want to grill. You want to smoke. You want it all and it is there--a shining Emerald beacon showing you the way. And you intentionally, purposely, walk the other way. :tears:

AAAAUUUUGGGGHHHH!!!!!

Stand in front of the mirror and read these quotes to yourself:

You can afford The Egg. You want to grill. You want to smoke. You want it all and it is there--a shining Emerald beacon showing you the way. And you intentionally, purposely, walk the other way. :tears:

+1

My first purchase was a grill with a side fire box. I wish I would have just saved up for a better product like the egg or learned how to make my own. It's a very good grill but a highly ineffective smoker.

My major issues with a side fire box design is I can never find everything I want in a model. Things like removable plates along the bottom of the main chamber to effectivly distribute the heat(this is a big one) from the side fire box or an easily adjustable coal rack. If you're really looking for something that is great for grilling and/or smoking then look no further then the egg. Few can do both effectively.

My major issues with a side fire box design is I can never find everything I want in a model. Things like removable plates along the bottom of the main chamber to effectivly distribute the heat(this is a big one) from the side fire box or an easily adjustable coal rack. If you're really looking for something that is great for grilling and/or smoking then look no further then the egg. Few can do both effectively.

Have one built. I had my back yard smoker built for about $600. It has a 24" cubed fire box with a flip top that has a grate to grill on(next one I build will be a little smaller), and a 24" pipe that is 42" long. It also has two tuning plates. I put an LP fireplace starter in the fire box and a grate to keep the wood off the bottom of the fire box for better flow. Call up a few of the local welding shops and see if any of them have built a few pits. Draw up the design you want, take it to them and ask them if they are comfortable building it. It isn't rocket science.

If I build another I'll probably drop the fire box down to 18" cubed and increase the smoking chamber to a 30" diameter and make it 48" long. I'll also make it reverse flow. I'd also get rid of the fireplace starter, and mount the end piece to a roofer's torch in the side wall of the firebox. The main reason for this is the fireplace starter gets clogged with ash, and when it rains hardens. I'm always having to clear the holes with tooth picks. If I go 48" long I might also counter-weight the door. I don't think I'd have a problem with it, but my wife has a problem with the one I have.

Point being, don't settle for a crappy mass produced offset smoker, most of them do suck. You can get one built to meet your needs pretty cheap. The one I currently have I built for about $100 less than a BGE and can smoke twice as much meat on it at one time.

AAAAUUUUGGGGHHHH!!!!!

I KNEW you'd weigh in eventually Unta.

Here's what I did...I bought a Weber One Touch Gold 22.5 grill. That's a basic grill that we can use whenever. My new superintendent (I live in a co-operative development) is a HUGH griller / smoker. He is building a smoker on the property that I can use, and he'll be teaching me to smoke. I love the BGE and someday will buy one. I think that because I am living on "shared" property, it is best to smoke in a designated area as opposed to in the middle of my court yard.

Edited by The Wolf