[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cost of Fire

nuke'em ttg

propane has gotta be cheaper then charcoal isn't it.....just been goin thru alot of bags lately and don't really pay attention ta price till 1 day saw it was almost 10 tacos for a big bag of kingsford :wacko: now that the gas grill is thawed out i had my steak in 15 minutes instead of 45min....somedays that fast turn around time is great :D

There's your first problem, you're using briquettes. Lump only, please.

Yup. The Royal Oak brand is available at Wally World cheap and works well.

Managing airflow closely can really cuts down the fuel used and still get the desired temp.

propane has gotta be cheaper then charcoal isn't it.....just been goin thru alot of bags lately and don't really pay attention ta price till 1 day saw it was almost 10 tacos for a big bag of kingsford :wacko: now that the gas grill is thawed out i had my steak in 15 minutes instead of 45min....somedays that fast turn around time is great :D

Like the other guys said, "why are you not using lump?"

Also, why does it take you so long to get your charcoal going? I'm thinking you should take a look at a charcoal chimney and a pack of fire starters.

Propane has it's place. I still generally like to cook steaks and burgers on an gas grill. I also like grilling vegetables on the a gas grill as they can get too smoky really quick.

Still for poultry or any kind of smoking you have to go with charcoal and wood. Here is what I use. They also have a 20# bag of mesquite not shown. You can get it at Academy Sports & Outdoors stores. I typically get the wood locally from some guys that sell mesquite, hickory and pecan by the half cord and cord. Me, my brother and dad will usually go into together and split a cord of hickory, a cord of mesquite, and a half cord of pecan. In a pinch I'll get mini logs form Academy in a 40# bag. I'm not sure what the brand on them is.

• 2 weeks later...
Propane has it's place. I still generally like to cook steaks and burgers on an gas grill. I also like grilling vegetables on the a gas grill as they can get too smoky really quick.

Still for poultry or any kind of smoking you have to go with charcoal and wood. Here is what I use. They also have a 20# bag of mesquite not shown. You can get it at Academy Sports & Outdoors stores. I typically get the wood locally from some guys that sell mesquite, hickory and pecan by the half cord and cord. Me, my brother and dad will usually go into together and split a cord of hickory, a cord of mesquite, and a half cord of pecan. In a pinch I'll get mini logs form Academy in a 40# bag. I'm not sure what the brand on them is.

This is one reason I am very excited about the area I am moving to - lots of lots of orchards mean a plethora of good smoking wood. That, and the fact that Ahnold will be my governor. :wacko:

It's certainly no crime to use propane. I know for a fact that I would grill more if I had a gas grill rather than a wood one. My dad used to grill out literally 4-5 times per week when I was a kid and it had a lot to do with the fact that he just had to flip a switch and it was going.

While I do think that food tastes better cooked over wood, I also think it generally tastes better grilled rather than pan roasted or what have you and, if going gas means you're more inclined to grill at all, then it's a good thing.

That said, a chimney and lump charcoal are the only way to fly. The cost doesn't bother me much. It still just works out to about few bucks for a decent size cookout.

It's certainly no crime to use propane. I know for a fact that I would grill more if I had a gas grill rather than a wood one. My dad used to grill out literally 4-5 times per week when I was a kid and it had a lot to do with the fact that he just had to flip a switch and it was going.

While I do think that food tastes better cooked over wood, I also think it generally tastes better grilled rather than pan roasted or what have you and, if going gas means you're more inclined to grill at all, then it's a good thing.

That said, a chimney and lump charcoal are the only way to fly. The cost doesn't bother me much. It still just works out to about few bucks for a decent size cookout.

+1

got this figured out.....2 big briskets, double layer coals, 300 Degrees coolest i could make it for 2hours now its 200 and steady....crap i forgot water that would have cooled it at the start :tup: the doobie i rolled smoked perfect and never opened the lid once :wacko: 37 tacos but we'll eat for 3 days