[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Beer Wars

jetsfan

Isn't Dogfish out of Maryland or something and their distribution network small?

Did you try it in Houston or elsewhere?

Dogfish is out of Maryland but, as far as distribution, I think they're becoming one of the bigger small guys.

We had a screening of this movie at Dos Perros on Tuesday. Pretty cool flick, actually. The part that I was having a hard time with and, frankly, talking to others afterward it seems like I was not alone. They followed this one woman, one of the original main players at Sam Adams, as she was trying to launch her own brand. She was really having a hard time and they seemed inclined to blame any number of reasons but one that seemed obvious to me. She was selling a caffeinated beer. So, maybe she was just trying to sell something that nobody wanted. Maybe it had nothing much at all to do with the evil big guys keeping her down. Or, at very least, she was selling exactly the kind of product that people who want are the types to look to big brands anyway.

Dogfish, on the other hand. I mean, you don't stare at the shelf deciding between Bud or Dogfish. Well, at least you don't if you know you're choosing between Bud and Dogfish. That's the effed up thing there is all the kitchy, little-guy looking stuff that AB makes to go head to head with the Dogfishes of the world.

As was mentioned in the movie. If you're thinking of taking the plunge into some esoteric seasonal and there's one on the shelf that costs 2 bucks less a sixer but looks just like the rest. Only it's made with crap extracts which is why it's so cheap. Then you get it home and it tastes lame. Well, you're not going to go back and spend more money next time for the good stuff. You're just going to think that maybe that sort of beer isn't your thing.

The part that I was having a hard time with and, frankly, talking to others afterward it seems like I was not alone. They followed this one woman, one of the original main players at Sam Adams, as she was trying to launch her own brand. She was really having a hard time and they seemed inclined to blame any number of reasons but one that seemed obvious to me. She was selling a caffeinated beer. So, maybe she was just trying to sell something that nobody wanted. Maybe it had nothing much at all to do with the evil big guys keeping her down. Or, at very least, she was selling exactly the kind of product that people who want are the types to look to big brands anyway.

Her beer may have been filling a niche nobody was much interested in - which I doubt, since caffeinated malt liquors have carved out a decent little spot of business - but I think it was mostly to demonstrate how tough it is for somebody to bust into a crowded field - even someone who has a ton of experience and connections. On the other hand, Moonshot could be total crap.

Then again, you guys aren't the first people I've heard complain about Rhonda Kallman's role in the film so maybe I'm wrong.

As far as Dogfish, it's available in Wisconsin. I like to think we've got a pretty good beer culture here, so it may make distributor's more willing to take a chance on something like Dogfish as opposed to someone in say, Nebraska.

I'd also recommend the book Beer Blast; the author Phillip Van Munching is the grandson of the man who first brought Heineken to the US, and has a great insider's perspective on things.

Isn't Dogfish out of Maryland or something and their distribution network small?

Did you try it in Houston or elsewhere?

They are out of Delaware, and we have a company called 'Specs' here in Texas that brings in all kinds of beer from around the world. Specs takes over old grocery stores and converts them into liqueur/beer/wine only. They can order pretty much anything. We are very spoiled for choice.

Chavez, :wacko:

Her beer may have been filling a niche nobody was much interested in - which I doubt, since caffeinated malt liquors have carved out a decent little spot of business - but I think it was mostly to demonstrate how tough it is for somebody to bust into a crowded field - even someone who has a ton of experience and connections. On the other hand, Moonshot could be total crap.

Then again, you guys aren't the first people I've heard complain about Rhonda Kallman's role in the film so maybe I'm wrong.

As far as Dogfish, it's available in Wisconsin. I like to think we've got a pretty good beer culture here, so it may make distributor's more willing to take a chance on something like Dogfish as opposed to someone in say, Nebraska.

I'd also recommend the book Beer Blast; the author Phillip Van Munching is the grandson of the man who first brought Heineken to the US, and has a great insider's perspective on things.

I would hesitate to make the jump that, just because people buy Sparks, they'd also buy a normal beer flavored drink with caffeine. And, again, I doubt anyone who takes beer all that seriously would. So, because of that, I can't see why there's any room for the little guy, considering the little guy's niche is typically the quality niche, like basically everyone else in that movie. All these guys are saying, "There was nothing but crappy beer available, so we had to make it ourselves". Is there anyone who says, "If only there was a legit caffeinated beer? I'm just tired of slamming red bull and cheap vodka and am looking to upgrade."

You're trying to sell to people in clubs. That's who wants that product. How much Dogfish do they sell in clubs?

I would hesitate to make the jump that, just because people buy Sparks, they'd also buy a normal beer flavored drink with caffeine. And, again, I doubt anyone who takes beer all that seriously would. So, because of that, I can't see why there's any room for the little guy, considering the little guy's niche is typically the quality niche, like basically everyone else in that movie. All these guys are saying, "There was nothing but crappy beer available, so we had to make it ourselves". Is there anyone who says, "If only there was a legit caffeinated beer? I'm just tired of slamming red bull and cheap vodka and am looking to upgrade."

You're trying to sell to people in clubs. That's who wants that product. How much Dogfish do they sell in clubs?

Good points, Det.

I'm thinking that a LOT of people post-Drew Carey ("Buzz Beer") SAID "beer with caffeine? Damn, send some my way!" Not to mention that coffee stouts are also pretty popular; making the step to brew caffeinated beer isn't completely out of left field if you think that way.

However, it appears Moonshot is a light American lager; I'd think if you did a caffeinated coffee stout with quality ingredients, you''re right in that you'd be selling to a different market.

Still, it IS a unique product - albeit one that no one was particularly demanding. And I think pagers/cellphones/iPads show that just because someone isn't "demanding" a product it doesn't mean they won't purchase it when it becomes available.