[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My BBQ Adventure

buddahj

My friend & I started @ 7am today...ready to smoke two 6 lb pork butts. We were supposed to be doing it at his house but the plans got changed. So instead of using a traditional smoker we ended up using a "box style" propane smoker. I know the purist will say, "That's not real BBQ". But as my father (a career military man) taught me..."adapt & overcome". We ended up starting around 8 am. Neither one of us have ever used this type of smoker before & I'll tell you I'm not a fan. But to make a long story short...we pulled the butts off around 4pm or so. I'm not sure of the exact time because I was drinking beer the whole time. The butts fell apart as we transfered them to aluminum roasting pans so we could pull them apart. We had about a 1/4" smoke ring & they turned out great. I'm in pork overload right now...so I'm going to finish this.

Edited by buddahj

I'm really not sure what to say about this. On one hand I applaud your ingenuity as to come up with a way to smoke the meat and on the other hand I want to tell you to get your head out of your ass and get a real smoker. Quite the conundrum.

I have a model similar to this one

http://www.amazon.com/The-Great-Outdoors-G...r/dp/B000EF1KB4

Using some tips I learned here and thru trial and error, I can smoke ribs with this and serve them to anyone here and you'd not know they were done on a gas smoker. Open invitation. Just give me a few days notice before you come by. :wacko:

I have a model similar to this one

http://www.amazon.com/The-Great-Outdoors-G...r/dp/B000EF1KB4

Using some tips I learned here and thru trial and error, I can smoke ribs with this and serve them to anyone here and you'd not know they were done on a gas smoker. Open invitation. Just give me a few days notice before you come by. :wacko:

That's pretty much what we used...except it didn't have the side vent.