[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Super Sized Big Ten

Boilerduff

The guy who broke the story from WHB was actually on the local radio yesterday. He thinks the plan is to invite Rutgers, Missouri, and Nebraska and assuming they are the only ones who join, the big 10 will stop at 14 teams. IF, ND jumps on board than they would go pick up another team to get to 16 teams.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope that ND doesn't join. The Big Ten has offered them this opportunity on several occasions and each time they were too good for the conference. F 'em. I hope they remain independent right up until the time they achieve the football irrelevancy they so richly deserve.

What will really be interesting is how the SEC will expand to maintain it's dominance. I'm thinking they will rob from the ACC and there has been talk about asking Texas to join as well.

My gut on Texas is that the Big 12 would pick up TCU and another team (IF NU and Mizzo jump ship) than bump Olkahoma to the North conference. There has been a lot of talk over the year that Texas will start it's own "Texas network" so I don't know if they want to give up control of the big 12. At this point though, nothing would shock me with all the rumors swirling.

I wouldn't mind seeing Mizzou come over. Nebraska would be fine but for whatever reason, it seems weird to me. Rutgers is interesting, but I'd rather see Pitt. I could care less about Notre Dame and wish this whole thing wouldn't be about them but it will be. I can't stand the independent thing and automatically being vaulted up the rankings each year until they get picked off by Navy or Air Force. Regardless of who it is, growth for the Big Ten is a good thing. They need a championship game so they can play later into the year and it would be a good thing to expand their fan and recruiting base.

• 3 weeks later...

So my dad is an ND alum, and a pretty solid source of his has told him the following: the Big Ten has put an offer on the table for ND. They have countered that they be the ONLY team in any expansion move, so that a 12 team conference allows them to play their out of conference opponents still. ND's usual schedule already includes 4 Big Ten teams typically, and their series against Navy and USC I believe would be untouchable. Given that they've also scheduled 6 games against BC in the next nine years, a 3 games series with Miami starting in a few years an a home/home with OU for instance they want to preserve those series and keep the door open for more in the future. Friday is the do or die day, so my dad catches hell if I'm wrong here. :wacko:

Take it for what it's worth.

Yea, there has been a lot of talk here in the last 1/2 day or so. It'd be kind of crazy to be in the Big 10 but it might be best going forward. Especially if the Big 12 south is serious about joining the Pac 10. There is a meeting with the Regents this Friday so it could be coincidence or where there's smoke, there's fire.

I really hope that ND doesn't join. The Big Ten has offered them this opportunity on several occasions and each time they were too good for the conference. F 'em. I hope they remain independent right up until the time they achieve the football irrelevancy they so richly deserve.

Couldn't agree any more :wacko:

• 2 months later...

Division alignments announced.

Did not do a true east-west alignment as looked natural with Wisconsin and Illinois included in the eastern teams and Michigan and Michigan state in the western teams. UM and OSU will be guaranteed a game though they are in the opposite division.

Divisions are:

• Illinois, Indiana, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue, Wisconsin

• Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-footbl/s.../090110aag.html

The divisional breakups + cross division rivalries looks a lot like how the SEC did it. You split into divisions but you still have a big cross division rivalry game every year. Not too bad.

I don't know if it's official but they did show something on the schedule for NU next year and it looked pretty brutal. I know Nebraska fans are optimistic but we're going to have everyone gunning for us in our last year of the Big 12 and then the first year in the Big 10 is going to have everyone wanting to take out "the new kid on the block."

Edited by Square

Pretty funny that after all of the talk of Mega Conferences and a total change in the entire dynamics of college football, the whole thing boiled down to the fact that Nebraska was tired of getting pasted by UT.

Here is to 1-9-0 being imortalized for ever this year.

Edited by rbmcdonald

Pretty funny that after all of the talk of Mega Conferences and a total change in the entire dynamics of college football, the whole thing boiled down to the fact that Nebraska was tired of getting pasted by UT.

Here is to 1-9-0 being imortalized for ever this year.

Probably had more to do with how the Big 12 caters to whatever UT wants, which is why they were in danger of dissolving.

When you have a horsesh|t business model for 14 years, this is what you get.

I like this site, but I should probably give up on the college football section. If some of these posts really equal the average longhorn fan perspective :wacko:

Pasted? Seriously? Maybe the public schools in Texas are as bad as people say they are, but let's look at a little history. Texas has definitely been the better program the last decade but let's not make stuff up as we go. Here is the actual history of Nebraska vs. Texas. Let's look at how many games Texas ACTUALLY "pasted" Nebraska (coincidentally, most of this is during Texas' best years of their program and Nebraska's worst years of their program). Game scores since 2000 of the years they actually played each other:

2002 - Texas won 27 - 24

2003 - Texas won 31 - 7 - I'll agree this would count as getting "pasted"

2006 - Texas won 22 - 20

2007 - Texas won 28 - 25 - this is probably the worst team NU has ever put on the field and they lost by 3 points.

2009 - Texas won 13 - 12 - after the ref put 1 sec back on the clock.

Stats from here.

So other than the one game where Nebraska did get pasted in 2003, the average win of UT over NU was 1.8 points in the last decade. Texas has had Nebraska's number and been a superior program the last decade. But to act like Nebraska would leave a conference that they had been in for a century because they were soooo afraid of big bad UT is delusional at best.

I like this site, but I should probably give up on the college football section. If some of these posts really equal the average longhorn fan perspective :tup:

Pasted? Seriously?

The post was intended to be typical college football fan trash talking, not an analytical analysis of the relative strength of each individual win. :wacko: However if you would like to have an analytical discussion, how about if I change the word "getting pasted" to "being dominated", would that pass your grammatical muster?

I am no Einstein, but I am pretty sure that just about every population would agree that having a life-time conference record of 1-8 against a team and having that same team end home winning streaks of 47 and 26 games, would constitute "being dominated" by. What do I know, I am just the byproduct of an inferior state public school system.

I take it you never ran accross Sarge while he was stll posting in the College Forum.

Edited by rbmcdonald

I guess Missouri really messed up their chances somehow...at least I remember hearing about that. I need to do some research to the merit that they were on their way in, but jumped the gun.

Nebraska is as solid of an add as you could get - compares favorably to when Penn St. came in, and as they are keeping annual rivalries in tact, I understand that Penn St. will play Nebraska every year.

Edited by gilthorp