[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chicago

KICK A$$ BLASTER

I am going to be in Chicago next week for an Association of Small Foundations meeting, and I have a few questions for those of us that live in Chicago.

1. Is it easier to take a train in from O'Hare or should I just take a cab. I'm staying the the Hyatt on Whacker.

2. How far is the Hyatt from Wrigley Field? I have a ticket to the Cubs vs. Nats game on Tuesday night and I would like to know if I can walk or do I need to cab it over.

3. Any good restaurants that you guys would recommend?

Thanks in advance....

I am going to be in Chicago next week for an Association of Small Foundations meeting, and I have a few questions for those of us that live in Chicago.

1. Is it easier to take a train in from O'Hare or should I just take a cab. I'm staying the the Hyatt on Whacker.

2. How far is the Hyatt from Wrigley Field? I have a ticket to the Cubs vs. Nats game on Tuesday night and I would like to know if I can walk or do I need to cab it over.

Thanks in advance....

1.) I would take a cab, however it does depend on when you are getting in. Rush hour= a very expensive cab ride.

2.) I recommend using mapquest. You are welcome.

3.) What do you like? I am a huge fan of Smith and Wollenski's Steakhouse on State. If it is during the week i also recommend Rick Bayless's place frontera Grill, or Graham Elliots's place "Graham". It also depends on how much you want to spend . . . .

1.) I would take a cab, however it does depend on when you are getting in. Rush hour= a very expensive cab ride.

2.) I recommend using mapquest. You are welcome.

3.) What do you like? I am a huge fan of Smith and Wollensky's Steakhouse on State. If it is during the week i also recommend Rick Bayless's place frontera Grill, or Graham Elliots's place "Graham". It also depends on how much you want to spend . . . .

1. I land at 12:30

2. Thanks for that...

3. I have been to Smith & Wollensky's before and am looking for something more local. Steak House's are great. A good rib joint would be better. But thanks for the suggestions....

Wrigley is a pretty far walk (~4 miles or more). Take the "El". Redline I think. Check the Cubs website for info.

For prime rib...Lawry's... Best prime rib ever made

For BBQ ribs...

or

Ribs... Though never tried it.

Edited by rocknrobn26

1. Cab - it's a flat rate from O'hare to downtown

2. Definitely can't walk. You can take either the Redline or Brownline (depending on which is closer) to Wrigley.

3. There's only one answer here for steakhouse - Gibsons, and you must get the collosal lobster tail too.

anyone else find it ironic that his hotel is on Wacker?

12:30 is an OK time to take the train into downtown, but its still a ride populated by, lets say, some of the lesser-desirable commuters you'd rather avoid. For the extra $35, if you have a decent amount of luggage/carry-ons, or are travelling with a female or two, take the cab. Door to door, no walking with luggage in the city, etc.

FWIW, David Burke's Primehouse, located in the upscale boutique James Hotel (Rush & Ontario) might be the best meal I've had on the road in years.

You can click-thru to their dinner menu here....one of Chicago's best joints, bar none.

Thanks in advance....

1. cab

2. red line

3. what kinda food are you looking for?

1. Take a cab

2. Take the L, probably the Red LIne for you

3. Chicago Chop House

If you're looking for a nice place to have a piece of fish, I'd recommend Catch 35

If you'd like to try something really interesting, I'd take Frontera Grill you step further at Topolobampo although all of his menus are listed here.

The last recommendation I can make is for Heaven On Seven

Dude . . . . . c'mon now . . . . be serious.

You're disputing this?

Gibson's is the best, hands down with Joe's Seafood and Stone Crab a close 2nd (if it wasn't for Gibson's collosal lobster tail and the superior ambience, Joe's would be equal). Smith and Wollensky's is so far down the list, I wouldn't even recommend it.

Edited by Brentastic

Really? I haven't been to Kinzie's Chophouse yet, but I've been to most of the others and they fail compared to Gibsons or Joes. Harry Carray's is hit or miss - the other's aren't even worth mentioning if you ask me.

i have to say that gibsons doesnt even make my list. rubbish.

My thought is this: If you are going out of town, why go to a chain resturant? Why not experience something that you may not have the chance to experience again?

I don't know anything about the steakhouses. If you plan on spending a little money ($200+ for two), I can give you some recommendations.

steaks, in no order.....ditkas, mortons, cap.grille, las tablas, chop house.

italian.....mias

Dude, I hate to pull out the snooty card - but if you have Ditka's on your list, your votes don't count. Ditka's serves Hidden Valley Ranch dressing for chrissakes. Any steakhouse worthy of mention will have homemade salad dressings. Mortons and Capital Grille - are you serious??? Those are chains dude, bad recommendaitons. Chop house too - all I can say is your pallet is easily pleased based on your recommendations. :tup:

If OP wants to listen to a food snob (me), you will go to Gibson's or Joe's for steaks. Club Lago for Italian. If you're not too picky, then save some money and go to Ditka's :wacko:

Ok, then I gotta hear your recommendations. I'll try not to laugh.

gilthorp - never been to Keefer's. I've been to Harry Carray's twice, first time was very good (still no Gibsons), 2nd time was very disappointing.

Brent, Gibsons is OK . . but this is going to end up going nowhere. It is like arguing over what flavor of ice cream is better.

I prefer dry aged beef, so my tastes (on the rare occasion I actually go to a steakhouse versus doing it myself) tend to lean toward restaurants that dry age their own beef. Even though they are chains, I prefer Smiths, and Capital Grille. I also like Gene and Georgettis, the Chicago Chop House and Joes Seafood and Stone Crab even though they dont dry age.

You can argue about how awesome Gibsons is all day, but I was underwhelmed and it didnt equal the hype. If it works for you . . then good for you, I wont tell you different. But to say that Gibsons is tops is misleading at best.