[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chicago

KICK A$$ BLASTER

Brent, Gibsons is OK . . but this is going to end up going nowhere. It is like arguing over what flavor of ice cream is better.

I prefer dry aged beef, so my tastes (on the rare occasion I actually go to a steakhouse versus doing it myself) tend to lean toward restaurants that dry age their own beef. Even though they are chains, I prefer Smiths, and Capital Grille. I also like Gene and Georgettis, the Chicago Chop House and Joes Seafood and Stone Crab even though they dont dry age.

You can argue about how awesome Gibsons is all day, but I was underwhelmed and it didnt equal the hype. If it works for you . . then good for you, I wont tell you different. But to say that Gibsons is tops is misleading at best.

Fair enough - but I just gotta say that Gene and Georgetti's is probably 2nd worst after Ditka's. I'm pretty sure the servers at G&G have been there since the restaurant opened in 1941. Like you said, to each their own - I just have a feeling I'm a bit pickier than you and dmarc based on your recommendations.

Even if you can argue on which steak is better etc... I think Gibson's should get heavier weight based on ambience alone, you can't beat the location or buzz that Gibson's offers. Go to G&G if you want to see a bunch of old people gumming their food.

Fair enough - but I just gotta say that Gene and Georgetti's is probably 2nd worst after Ditka's. I'm pretty sure the servers at G&G have been there since the restaurant opened in 1941. Like you said, to each their own - I just have a feeling I'm a bit pickier than you and dmarc based on your recommendations.

Even if you can argue on which steak is better etc... I think Gibson's should get heavier weight based on ambience alone, you can't beat the location or buzz that Gibson's offers. Go to G&G if you want to see a bunch of old people gumming their food.

"Pickier" is hilarious Brent . . did you read the "blog of a picky eater"? :tup:

Now you are getting beyond food. We did not address ambiance or service, I was going strictly by food. If elderly people offend you, the Gene and Georgettis may not be for you. But then again . . maybe you need to stop going for the early bird specials :wacko:

I didnt know that location is more important to you than food quality. I thought we were talking about food . . . . .

Go to Giordano's. Surely, we can agree on that, right? :wacko:

nothing wrong with giordano's. but lou malnati's is the best, IMO.

the only one I'd say "don't bother" with is the tourist trap original pizzeria uno. pizza's fine, but not the best, and it's just not worth the hype (and wait).

enough of the same-ole same-ole...Cap Grille...S&W....you can find those in any real city. Even Gibson's, while good food and great service, is over-the-top because it is a tourist attraction.

I'm tellin ya, the Primehouse in the James Hotel is as phenomenal a meal as you'll ever have, with a renowned chef at the helm. Google it, and trust me.

None of you have likely ever been there because everyone always sticks to the trusted, same places.

here's a recent review I found:

I'm staying at the James right now and got in too late to make my Gibson's dinner party, what a blessing!! While Gibson's is still a great meal and experience, you can't compare the dry-aged meats of Primehouse with wet-aged meats... I have only had the pleasure of dry-aged(done right at least) at a couple places and for me, it's the only way to go. The flavor and execution were epic and will be back once more on my trip.

enough of the same-ole same-ole...Cap Grille...S&W....you can find those in any real city. Even Gibson's, while good food and great service, is over-the-top because it is a tourist attraction.

I'm tellin ya, the Primehouse in the James Hotel is as phenomenal a meal as you'll ever have, with a renowned chef at the helm. Google it, and trust me.

None of you have likely ever been there because everyone always sticks to the trusted, same places.

here's a recent review I found:

I'm staying at the James right now and got in too late to make my Gibson's dinner party, what a blessing!! While Gibson's is still a great meal and experience, you can't compare the dry-aged meats of Primehouse with wet-aged meats... I have only had the pleasure of dry-aged(done right at least) at a couple places and for me, it's the only way to go. The flavor and execution were epic and will be back once more on my trip.

Y'know that place has been on my "to try" list for awhile now . . . Thanks for the info! :wacko:

nothing wrong with giordano's. but lou malnati's is the best, IMO.

Dan, Malnati's is OK . . but this is going to end up going nowhere. It is like arguing over what flavor of ice cream is better.

You can argue about how awesome Malnati's is all day, but I was underwhelmed and it didn't equal the hype. If it works for you . . then good for you, I wont tell you different. But to say that Malnati's is tops is misleading at best.

I just have feeling I'm a bit pickier than you based on your recommendations.

"Pickier" is hilarious Brent . . did you read the "blog of a picky eater"? :tup:

Now you are getting beyond food. We did not address ambiance or service, I was going strictly by food. If elderly people offend you, the Gene and Georgettis may not be for you. But then again . . maybe you need to stop going for the early bird specials :wacko:

I didnt know that location is more important to you than food quality. I thought we were talking about food . . . . .

Food quality is the top priority and Gibson's wins there as well. I'm just saying that it's better in all ways (they have better waiters too). Now, you might be on to something with the dry-aged thing. So what's your favorite steak place that dry-ages?

Also, have you ever had the collosal lobster tail from Gibson's? To me, that's what really sets it apart from everything else. There may be a 1/2 dozen places all with 'GREAT' steaks but I've yet to find a 36oz lobster tail anywhere, let alone that it's sweeter and fluffier than any other lobster tail I've ever had.

Dan, Malnati's is OK . . but this is going to end up going nowhere. It is like arguing over what flavor of ice cream is better.

You can argue about how awesome Malnati's is all day, but I was underwhelmed and it didn't equal the hype. If it works for you . . then good for you, I wont tell you different. But to say that Malnati's is tops is misleading at best.

I just have feeling I'm a bit pickier than you based on your recommendations.

that's gold jerry! gold!

Forget the high end food! I've been to Gibson's in Chicago and honestly I was too drunk to remember if it was good or not.

When I go to Chicago I want 3 things. Manny's Deli for pastrami and potato pancakes, Al's beef for a big dipped italian beef sandwich, and jake's pizza.

I know the homers will bag on me for these picks, but I crave this chit every time I've been to Chicago. Also, go to Slugger's on N. Clark before and after the Cubbies game. Great place.