[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Massive Gulf Coast Oil Spill

BeeR

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/04/29/edge-...ver-delta-soon/

The leak from the ocean floor proved to be far bigger than initially reported, contributing to a growing sense among many in Louisiana that the government failed them again, just as it did during Hurricane Katrina.

Yeah the gubmint failed them, it's not like the state and/or it's people had any accountability to take care of themselves. I guess all the looting/etc that happened was the govt's fault too :wacko:

That aside, what a freaking terrible accident. I shudder to think of the wildlife that will suffer and die so pointlessly. f*** offshore drilling.

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stay classy. :tup:

Stay stupid :tup:

I agree the spill sounds terrible and could be getting worse every day for a month or two.

The rest just sounds a bit :wacko:

Pardon. Probably shouldn't have mentioned (but then again they shouldn't have either). Back to the oil spill.......sound like it'll be worse than Valdez - much worse.

Stay stupid :wacko:

chalupa!

Aside from idiot #1 above this is a major deal! This will impact far more than just Louisiana. Our shores provide a third of the shrimp and other assorted goodies from the sea that we love so much around the country.

Also depending on what the clean-up price tag swells to we could potentially see a spike in oil prices as well. :tup:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/04/29/edge-...ver-delta-soon/

Yeah the gubmint failed them, it's not like the state and/or it's people had any accountability to take care of themselves. I guess all the looting/etc that happened was the govt's fault too :wacko:

That aside, what a freaking terrible accident. I shudder to think of the wildlife that will suffer and die so pointlessly. f*** offshore drilling.

Yeah that came from your buddies at Fox news. Gee was it a quote from somebody here, in Louisiana, or are you just gobbling up the goo that they spew like the rest of the lemmings?

Seriously dude.... (the really bad word) You. Please go away for good would you!

This is gonna be a HUGH ecological disaster. 5,000 gallons are being leaked per day right into the Gulf. Who knows how long it's gonna take to get it plugged. Now I hear there is a second leak on the site. Tragic for the entire Gulf Coast. When that stuff starts getting into the LA wetlands it's gonna be horrible for man and animal alike. Truly a major problem for those folks who live and work on the Gulf Coast.

chalupa!

Aside from idiot #1 above this is a major deal! This will impact far more than just Louisiana. Our shores provide a third of the shrimp and other assorted goodies from the sea that we love so much around the country.

Also depending on what the clean-up price tag swells to we could potentially see a spike in oil prices as well. :wacko:

I figured you'd be along. I didn't want to waste my time or intellect on a piece of trash like Beer. He's clueless on every aspect about Katrina and spews blanket statements that carry no weight whatsoever. I know you have dealt with it more than me by a mile but we've both seen and participated in the efforts to bring the gulf states back to their glory. This is a major blow to not only Louisiana but the entire country.

Like I said Beer, stay classy - you're doing a heck of a job.

Edited by twiley

Depending on winds and currents this will be impacting Ms, Al, and Fl as well.

Due to high winds and waves expected over the weekend it looks like the hopes of keeping the oil out of our wetlands are fading fast. :wacko:

Yeah that came from your buddies at Fox news. Gee was it a quote from somebody here, in Louisiana, or are you just gobbling up the goo that they spew like the rest of the lemmings?

Seriously dude.... Fuck you Please go away for good would you!

good info here :wacko:

Edited by nuke'em ttg

seems they'd have safety shutoffs up the ass for somethun like this these days :wacko:

They do. This was a very unique accident. A complete blow-out of the well followed by a fire that destroyed the rig and eventually sunk it in something like 5000 feet of water.

There is a valve down there but so far the marine robots have been unable to get it to budge. It is looking more likely that a relief well will need to be drilled to stop the flow. That will take weeks at best!

Pardon the conspiracy theory, but it's an awfully large coincidence that this happened almost immediately after more offshore drilling (or exploration for the purposes thereof) was authorized off pretty much the entire east coast.

I heard it was too windy.

And the revised estimate of the leak is now 210,000 gallons a day, not 5,000.

I had heard here on the news that they tried a few small, controlled burns and found it to be ineffective once the true scope of the spill was recognized.

Supposedly, BP has this chemical that they can spray underwater to neutralize the water. They are waiting for permission to do this. Unfortunately, it has never been tried at this depth before so they have no guarantees that it will work.

Oh and this is a hugh disaster for anyone that enjoys seafood. The price of everything is going to spike now. This is also a hugh disaster for The Gulf states. All of their fishing economies are going to take a severe hit and we still haven't gauged the magnitude of the ecological impacts.

Edited by Kid Cid

They do. This was a very unique accident. A complete blow-out of the well followed by a fire that destroyed the rig and eventually sunk it in something like 5000 feet of water.

There is a valve down there but so far the marine robots have been unable to get it to budge. It is looking more likely that a relief well will need to be drilled to stop the flow. That will take weeks at best!

There's a rumor that there was no blowout valve installed (its manadtory to have two) near the wellhead to shut off the oil. Just a rumor.

There's a rumor that there was no blowout valve installed (its manadtory to have two) near the wellhead to shut off the oil. Just a rumor.

I guess it is possible but highly unlikely. I have several friends who work offshore on rigs and they tell me that the safety inspections are brutal. I would find it hard to believe that the inspectors would let something so crucial slip by.

BP should receive a bill for the entire cost of mitigation of the oil and for the "perceived" value of the impact on the fishing industry...

Unfortunately tragic accidents like this happen, I don't hink it should impact the entire industry. We need to continue to pull domestic oil out of the ground while also looking for new technologies, hydrogen and nuclear power being my two favorites.

ETA:

You probably won't hear me say this often, but in regard to the "slow pace" at which NO is being rebuilt, I think Mayor Nagin had an extremely good response a couple of years ago, I'm gonna have to paraphrase. He was aked about why it was takinf sooooo looong to rebuild NO, nagin basically said, Man, it's been 6 years since those planes flew into the world trade towers and there is still a big hole in the ground in NYC and you ain't complaining about that, but, you expect me to rebuild an entire city in 2 years?

One of the best responses I've ever heard from a politician and the only time I have been a fan of Mr. Nagin.

Edited by SEC=UGA

BP should receive a bill for the entire cost of mitigation of the oil and for the "perceived" value of the impact on the fishing industry...

Exxon had to pay a ton for the Valdez spill. I assume BP will be pounded accordingly.

Oh, and BeeR: you are a complete moran. :wacko: