[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Massive Gulf Coast Oil Spill

BeeR

You could of just put some Dawn® dish washing liquid on it. But hey, here is thinking of the kids.

Yes, I could have considered less toxic means of disperents, but I have a brother that works at the Benzine plant, and I needed to throw some business his way. :wacko:

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just another reason why the admin should have accepted more "redundant" equipment earlier.

(CBS) BP's spill now hits New Orleans where it hurts. The oil is now in Lake Pontchartrain, swept in by stormy weather.

Over two days in Louisiana, crews have collected almost 1,700 pounds of tar balls. Texas has tar balls. Alabama has oil-smeared hermit crabs. To critics, all danger signs: too much oil's still getting past BP's defenses, reports CBS News correspondent Mark Strassmann.

"They understate or overestimate what they are doing depending on the case," said John Young with the Jefferson Parish council. "The skimming is just woefully inadequate."

BP's fleet has 550 skimmers, with another 500 on the way in the next few weeks fighting the spill. To critics of this cleanup, something in the numbers doesn't add up. Just weeks before the spill, BP promised the feds it could skim and remove almost 500,000 barrels of oily water a day. Over 78 days of this crisis, that would amount to more than 38 million barrels. But so far, BP skimming has collected only 670,000 barrels. That's 37 million barrels short.

Doug Suttles, BP's point person on its cleanup, toured skimmers in Louisiana's Barataria Bay Tuesday.

"The type of equipment will improve. The techniques will improve as we go forward," Suttles said. "All I can do today is fight this thing as best I can."

Jon Overing says his improved skimmer will work where most others fail - in choppy waves. His new design's called the "Oil Piranha." Mississippi bought fourteen of them. Price? Almost $7 million.

"They've got the wrong boats out there and I think ours will make a difference," Overing said.

A mammoth skimmer might make a difference. Owners of the "A Whale" claim it can skim 500,000 barrels of oily water a day.

Is BP open to using the giant skimmer and paying for it?

"If it's effective," Suttles said.

But no one knows if the A Whale will work, and Tuesday's 12-foot seas delayed testing it in the Gulf. The forecast does improve, but not until the end of the week.

You could of just put some Dawn® dish washing liquid on it.

I believe this will be the same treatment for cancer under the Federal National Healthcare plan. :wacko:

Edited by TimC

Got an e-mail from a friend who lives in Destin.

Subject of the e-mail was "First Tarball hits Destin beach"

I opened it expecting to read a sad story about the Destin beaches but instead was a Pic of Mr. Obama in a swimsuit coming into shore. Cracked me up. Gotta love that friggin tarball.

I opened it expecting to read a sad story about the Destin beaches but instead was a Pic of Mr. Obama in a swimsuit coming into shore. Cracked me up. Gotta love that friggin tarball.

I think your buddy needs to do some research... I see no mention of "tar ball"

Let me add before Mr. BP Wallace and Bushwacked come in cry that I am being mean to Mr. Obama - if a huge boat spilled millions and millions of Saltine Premium crackers in the Gulf and GW Bush was prez I would also think that a pic of him in a swimsuit coming into shore with a subject called "First cracker hits Destin beach" would be just as funny.

Edited by gbpfan1231

What is also left out is the fact that all this skimming would be a lot more effective if the toxic dispersents had not been used. Am I thinking wrong here? I am no engineer, far from it. But it seems to me that the oil should have not been dispersed IF recovery was a serious consideration to begin with. I mean, we are pumping thousands of gallons of poison to break up oil that would otherwise "clot" thus making cleanup much more efficient...strike that, actually possible. I would love for someone to prove this line of reasoning flawed, because until I hear that from someone not involved in the spin job of the century, I'm convinced this has been handled horribly from the beginning. No plan. No common sense.

Using the dispersing agent is a perfect example of why rushing to action without thinking things through is a very very bad idea.

Everyone is jumping on the admin to do something without thinking it through, and getting pissed when they actually stop and ask "is this a good idea".

The dispersing agent is a great idea of something that SHOULD have been thought through more before acting early in the crisis. It didnt work, now people are thinking things through before acting, and they are getting blasted for not "acting quickly enough".

No matter what, it is pianfully obvious that the gubmnet doesnt have enough technical advisors for something of this nature, and relies WAY too much on private businesses to tell them what to do. Parties and the always fun "partisan blame game" aside, this is well beyond the capabilities of the US gubmnet to control or stop.

ASIDE= I was watching "Deadlist Catch: After the Catch" last night and they showed the guys in New Orleans driving around where the oil was washing up. It was in early June and the marshes were coated in tar goo. They also talked about the Exxon Valdez spill and how a major Herring fishery STILL hasnt recovered, decades after the accident. :wacko:

Using the dispersing agent is a perfect example of why rushing to action without thinking things through is a very very bad idea.

Everyone is jumping on the admin to do something without thinking it through, and getting pissed when they actually stop and ask "is this a good idea".

The dispersing agent is a great idea of something that SHOULD have been thought through more before acting early in the crisis. It didnt work, now people are thinking things through before acting, and they are getting blasted for not "acting quickly enough".

No matter what, it is pianfully obvious that the gubmnet doesnt have enough technical advisors for something of this nature, and relies WAY too much on private businesses to tell them what to do. Parties and the always fun "partisan blame game" aside, this is well beyond the capabilities of the US gubmnet to control or stop.

ASIDE= I was watching "Deadlist Catch: After the Catch" last night and they showed the guys in New Orleans driving around where the oil was washing up. It was in early June and the marshes were coated in tar goo. They also talked about the Exxon Valdez spill and how a major Herring fishery STILL hasnt recovered, decades after the accident. :wacko:

How is refusing foreign boom and skimmers any thing like using the dispersant during the early stages of the spill? Why are we just now bringing 500 additional skimmers, skimmers to replace the, as the people at BP put it, "inadequate" ships that were already in place?

Well, everything I've read from a reliable scientific source indicates that the dispersant's negative effect is minimal compared to the oil, so I'm not sure that's the best example. But yea, people are going to complain about not doing enough in one breath, doing too much in next; while whining about regulations that aren't even applicable to making claims of not utilizing equipment that proves to be inaccurate within days of being reported by the likes of Fox and the Heritage Foundation.

A flotilla including the biggest and baddest oil skimmer in the world are only able to pick up a fraction of what the well is putting out; but hey, let's focus on the reactive measures which amount to pissing in the ocean under best case scenarios instead of the proactive measures that should have been in place before the spill happened and could have greatly minimized and even eliminated the disaster. After all, playing political blame games deserve more energy than making sure this doesn't happen again.

Edited by bushwacked

Mississippi isn't waiting for BP to clean our coast.

I like the fact that they're using these to boost the coastal economy a little as well by using local yards to build them and employing locals to operate them. :wacko:

PASS CHRISTIAN — The state has leased eight skimmer boats to fight the oil before it lands on South Mississippi beaches.

Trudy Fisher, executive director of the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality, said the skimmers are stationed at Point Cadet in Biloxi, Henderson Point near Pass Christian and Bayou Caddy in Hancock County. They arrived Sunday and Monday, and crews were being trained Monday at Mallini Bayou.

“If we get any more oil in the Sound, we’ll have our own skimmers,” she said.

JOHN FITZHUGH/SUN HERALD Employees of United States Environmental Services train on oil skimming vessels at their Henderson Point staging area on Mallini Bayou near Pass Christian on Monday. Six 22-foot skimmers, left, and two 30-foot skimmers right, made by the French company Ecoceane, were delivered Sunday. They will be used to clean up oil in Mississippi from the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.

These leased boats use flow-through technology to separate the solids from the oil and then recycle the oil from the water.

Six 22-foot boats can hold 600 gallons of the oil that has been separated from the water, and the two 30-foot boats will hold 1,200 gallons of oil.

Fisher said these are different from the 19 skimmers Gov. Haley Barbour ordered built for the state after he realized there were only 20 skimmer boats protecting the coastline from Louisiana to Florida.

Those are belt skimmers and are being built by two Coast contractors — Trinity Yachts in Gulfport and Overing Yachts in Ocean Springs.

Fisher toured Trinity Yachts on Monday and saw people working on the skimmers during the holiday.

She said Overing should begin delivery this week and the contractors should deliver about three a week.

Trinity also is building a 249-foot oil storage barge to download the oil from the skimmers.

The skimmers can operate in shallow or deep water and be used in Mississippi waters from the barrier islands north to the shoreline.

“They’re state owned so they’re state controlled,” she said.

“They can be deployed quickly to wherever oil is spotted, and she said they are in addition to what the Coast Guard and BP already has in operation.

Read more: http://www.sunherald.com/2010/07/05/231005...l#ixzz0t1M7f3Sd

Mississippi isn't waiting for BP to clean our coast.

I like the fact that they're using these to boost the coastal economy a little as well by using local yards to build them and employing locals to operate them. :wacko:

Watch out the DOJ might end up filing suit against Mississippi on the basis of the supremacy clause. :tup:

Watch out the DOJ might end up filing suit against Mississippi on the basis of the supremacy clause. :wacko:

The EPA will probably shut the boats down as they don't remove 100% of the oil from the water.

Watch out the DOJ might end up filing suit against Mississippi on the basis of the supremacy clause. :wacko:
That's all good and all but just remember, a VAST majority of judges in the affected states, (local,state and federal level) have investment interest in BP and finding an unbiased judge will be a daunting task.

That's all good and all but just remember, a VAST majority of judges in the affected states, (local,state and federal level) have investment interest in BP and finding an unbiased judge will be a daunting task.

Really? I didn't see that posted before, do you have a link that backs that statement?

Really? I didn't see that posted before, do you have a link that backs that statement?

There are several articles that have reported this but this is the first one that came up. You could probably research it more thoroughly if you want exact specifics. But this article covers the basics of my post:

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/chicago-po...-interests.html

That is what is very :wacko: about the EPA stuff for this situation . . . even if it gets the watter 98% clean versus 99.5% clean . . isnt that better than the 100% of crap that is in it now?

The safety regulations i support and understand, but those exacting standards when this well is gushing crap seems dumb as hell.

That is what is very :wacko: about the EPA stuff for this situation . . . even if it gets the watter 98% clean versus 99.5% clean . . isnt that better than the 100% of crap that is in it now?

The safety regulations i support and understand, but those exacting standards when this well is gushing crap seems dumb as hell.

Thank an environmentalist for this. Actually, I understand they prefer hugs.