[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Massive Gulf Coast Oil Spill

BeeR

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow, the logical leaps here are fairly bold. :wacko: three conspiracy kooks on the huddle "cause real pressure on agencies or BP to scale the use of stuff"? and somehow I'm responsible too. wow, that is an airtight case! I am shamed :tup:

Oh my. I have confused you also.

Edited by bushwacked

wow, the logical leaps here are fairly bold. :wacko: three conspiracy kooks on the huddle "cause real pressure on agencies or BP to scale the use of stuff"? and somehow I'm responsible too. wow, that is an airtight case! I am shamed :tup:

Sounds like a cult in the making. Glad I can FINALLY have a label!

So I guess since the fed's science community has assured us everything is just fine, anyone that believes otherwise is some sort of a conspiracy whack? The scorecard for this nasty little game won't be complete for YEARS. You can go ahead and put this inconvenience out of your mind until it is used as an impetus to push through a disasterous Cap & Trade bill. As for myself, I'll reserve judgement until the full consequences are known. I wouldn't want to rush to any judgements...

ahh, bubble bubble, toil and trouble....I have summoned forth the three sorcerers...now let us conspire to vanquish the king.

out, damned oil spot!

:wacko:

• 4 months later...
Panel: Jindal sand berm project was a colossal waste of time and money

..By Brett Michael Dykes brett Michael Dykes – Thu Dec 16, 5:31 pm ET

For months, critics of Louisiana GOP Gov. Bobby Jindal's BP-funded $360 million sand berm project have blasted the effort as a tragic misuse of time and resources. They charged that the governor and his lead advisers could have undertaken scores of other projects that would have been far more beneficial to the damaged Gulf and the inhabitants of its coast.

Some have even charged that the plan was nothing more than a multi-million dollar kickback for the governor's supporters. "The only reason those sand berms are still being built is because Bobby Jindal has supporters he needs to pay back," a current Louisiana officeholder, speaking on the condition of anonymity because of ongoing dealings with the Jindal administration, told Yahoo News back in October. "It's that simple ... follow the money. The people making money off this thing are people that gave money to Jindal."

As one might expect, the Jindal camp took vigorous issue with that complaint -- as well as the more general broadsides from the scientific community pointing out the inefficiency of the berms as a means of containing damage from the enormous spill. Now, however, the independent commission appointed by President Obama to investigate the oil spill has chimed in as well. Its verdict is, if anything, more harsh than the assessment offered by earlier critics: In the report the commission's members released today, they concluded the berm project was a total bust that succeeded in capturing virtually no oil.

In emphatic language, the bi-partisan commission announced that it can "comfortably conclude that the decision to green-light the underwhelmingly effective, overwhelmingly expensive Louisiana berms project was flawed."

Take the simple question of oil containment. "Estimates vary, and no precise figures are available," the report notes. "But no estimates of how much oil the berms captured are much greater than 1,000 total barrels. In comparison, according to peer-reviewed government estimates released in November, burning, skimming, and chemical dispersion addressed a total of between 890,000 and 1.85 million barrels spilled from the Macondo well."

In a statement emailed to The Lookout, Jindal blasted the report as "partisan revisionist history at taxpayer expense" and curiously invoked the name of a bygone populist Louisiana governor with a legacy of corruption.

"The Commission would do a true service to Americans by recommending federal bureaucracies that can be eliminated or expedited in times of major disasters -- like Hurricane Katrina and the BP oil spill, instead of attacking the politics of Louisiana and Huey Long," Jindal wrote. "The report's assertion that the berms did not pass the commission's 'cost benefit analysis' is insulting to the thousands of people whose way of life depends on the health of our working coast. What exactly is the cost of thousands of jobs and generations of fishermen and oyster harvesters who have made their living off of our coast for over 100 years? I would like the Administration to provide us with an estimate of the 'cost' that they did not deem worthy of every action possible to protect coastal families."

(Photo: AP/Dave Martin)

Well at keast Jindal got some political hay out of this and rewarded his supporters on BP's dime building berms. :wacko:

Too tired to check . . . but was Perch the one blasting the Army Corp of engineers for saying the berms were not a good idea?

Well at keast Jindal got some political hay out of this and rewarded his supporters on BP's dime building berms. :wacko:

Too tired to check . . . but was Perch the one blasting the Army Corp of engineers for saying the berms were not a good idea?

This thread is full of political patty-caking from Perch, Az, et al.. Many of the criticiscm in this thread were simply repeated from right wing blogs and commentary and didn't pass the fact check muster at the end of the day. Imagine that.

I did support Jindal in his desire to build the berms. I think by the time they were actually built it was to late to do any good. Had the federal government gotten out of the way and allowed the to be built when originally requested I still think they would have been effective, but they needed to be build prior to the oil hitting the shores, not after the fact.

How shocking. A bipartisan commission emphatically concludes Jindal's berm project was "Underwhelmingly effective, and overwhelmingly expensive" and in Perch's mind it shows that the federal govt. is to blame. :wacko:

All I said is it would have been a lot more effective if they had allowed them to be built prior to the oil reaching shore. You can take that however you want. I think building them after the fact is stupid.

You can take that however you want.

That you're a loyal henchmen who can't see the forest through the trees? Federal agencies and scientists stated is was a waste of money before they were built, and they were right. You we're wrong and once again didn't know what you were talking about.

That you're a loyal henchmen who can't see the forest through the trees? Federal agencies and scientists stated is was a waste of money before they were built, and they were right. You we're wrong and once again didn't know what you were talking about.

C'mon, wacko. You really calling someone else out for being a partisan hack? Give us all a break, please.

It's simple, stop funding NPR and you can build sand castles on a whim.

I did support Jindal in his desire to build the berms. I think by the time they were actually built it was to late to do any good. Had the federal government gotten out of the way and allowed the to be built when originally requested I still think they would have been effective, but they needed to be build prior to the oil hitting the shores, not after the fact.

Perch . . . seriously open your eyes. Everyone EXCEPT Jindal was saying it didnt make any sense, and you still support it.

Jindal gets exposed for being a self-serving piece of garbage. And yet you still back his play.

Bad form old man . . . . bad form. :wacko: