[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Massive Gulf Coast Oil Spill

BeeR

Perch pretty sure you are completely wrong on the federal restriction being a cause of this. I saw on the news a map where this site was a LOT further away from land than most of the oil platforms. That is why this is such a problem, they dont have all that many deep, deep water drilling platforms like this. The depth was cited as a reason that the chemical they want to release that disperses the oil might not work.

It is that deep because that is where they found oil, not because of a federal restriction . . .

I think he was just asking, not saying it was a cause. To answer, I'm pretty sure there is, but what that restriction is I am not sure & don't know where to look. Also, we were told in the meeting we had yesterday that the chemical plan did seem to work, but they are concerned about additional environmental hazards it may cause and are performing further testing before proceeding with it full scale.

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/04/29/edge-...ver-delta-soon/

Yeah the gubmint failed them, it's not like the state and/or it's people had any accountability to take care of themselves. I guess all the looting/etc that happened was the govt's fault too :wacko:

That aside, what a freaking terrible accident. I shudder to think of the wildlife that will suffer and die so pointlessly. f*** offshore drilling.

I am obviously from LA, I didn't blame the FED Gubbamint for Katrina's response. I like many others here I blamed our own local Gubbamints, especially Gov. Kathleen Blankstare and Mayor Ray Chocolate Nagin, but nonetheless, you take yer comment and shove it up yer a$$. This oil spill IS a national fokin issue not just ours THIS NATION DESPERATELY DEPENDS ON THAT OIL THAT WE PIPE THROUGH OUR STATE AND YOU KNOW WHAT? WE ARE UNDERPAID FOR IT. DON'T EVER MEET ME CAUSE I WILL @#$%&%* IN THE HEAD FOR THAT BS POST. Katrina we lost lives, this is different and similar damaging because many are losing their lively hood and culture. We aren't whiners, we need help and again we were let down. This time by BIG OIL and a lack of federal response. I don't hold our local and state accountable here because this is bigger than what we can handle...this takes a Navy. I am also hesitant to blame BP but more the industry for having such lax standards. Find some tack bro, this is a sad post and it really bothers me that people would be so insensitive.

Sincerely,

Coonass from da Bayou state and damn proud of it

Edited by SuperBalla

The main problem is the valve that was supposed to shut off the flow in this type of emergency failed & for some reason all their attempts to activate it have not worked. Unfortunately with it being 5000 ft below they are limited in their options to try to get it closed. Yesterday I heard they are constructing some sort of concrete dome that they can drop over it which should be completed in about 5 days.

What really bothers me is that it doesn't really seem that they had a plan of action for this scenario. It seems that all their plans basically relied on this one valve. You would think with all the years of off-shore drilling they would have been better prepared for a major spill like this. But everything they have done so far has been trial & error.

bingo

Lets please try not to get this thread deleted. I know emotions can run high with so much at stake, but we don't need another Katrina meltdown here. It's easy for some people who are not and were not affected to sit back & make silly, uninformed comments that they really have no clue about. They're not really worth the effort to argue with.

Edited by rajncajn

I am obviously from LA, I didn't blame the FED Gubbamint for Katrina's response. I like many others here I blamed our own local Gubbamints, especially Gov. Kathleen Blankstare and Mayor Ray Chocolate Nagin, but nonetheless, you take yer comment and shove it up yer a$$. This oil spill IS a national fokin issue not just ours THIS NATION DESPERATELY DEPENDS ON THAT OIL THAT WE PIPE THROUGH OUR STATE AND YOU KNOW WHAT? WE ARE UNDERPAID FOR IT. DON'T EVER MEET ME CAUSE I WILL @#$%&%* IN THE HEAD FOR THAT BS POST. Katrina we lost lives, this is different and similar damaging because many are losing their lively hood and culture. We aren't whiners, we need help and again we were let down. This time by BIG OIL and a lack of federal response. I don't hold our local and state accountable here because this is bigger than what we can handle...this takes a Navy. I am also hesitant to blame BP but more the industry for having such lax standards. Find some tack bro, this is a sad post and it really bothers me that people would be so insensitive.

Sincerely,

Coonass from da Bayou state and damn proud of it

I pretty much agree with you on all points. I still think building below sea level is f'n stupid, and rebuilding below sea level is even more stupid but that is a conversation we've already had and is wholly unrelated to what is going on in the gulf now. I tend to agree that a federal response is warranted, simply because the federal government is best situated to respond. By all accounts BP is doing all they can and taking full responsibility as they should. BP should have to pay back the federal government as well as any state and local governments for their clean up efforts as well as make restitution to those that depend on the gulf for their livelihood. I think we should all demand this, but at the same time we must all realize that when we demand this it is going to increase the cost of a gallon of gas, and not bitch about that too.

If someone is looking for a silver lining it may be that this accident could help advance the creation and or utilization of alternative energy as it will more than likely increase the cost of fossil fuel, particularly if the oil companies are held accountable as they should be.

I like many others here I blamed Mayor Ray Chocolate Nagin

Find some tack bro, this is a sad post and it really bothers me that people would be so insensitive.

:wacko:

Referring to Ray Nagin himself calling New Orleans the "Chocolate City." One of his more idiotic statements during the Katrina recovery. Also one of the main sources that are the cause of misstatements like BeeR mistakenly made above. :tup:

ETA: My bad Perch, I meant the statement BeeR made in the initial post. :tup:

Edited by rajncajn

How is the US Navy supposed to help with this situation? Seriously? What can the Navy do to turn off this valve? I thought they were already trying with US Navy robot subs and it didnt work?

Having only one valve to shut that thing off in that kind of depth is beyond stupid.

How is the US Navy supposed to help with this situation? Seriously? What can the Navy do to turn off this valve? I thought they were already trying with US Navy robot subs and it didnt work?

Having only one valve to shut that thing off in that kind of depth is beyond stupid.

:wacko: They could do something to help prevent the encroaching oil? Fire a torpedo to the hole and cave the earth on top...I dunno, something. I meant more or less, we needed a massive reaction to the oil spill, someone to take charge instead of relying on BP to do the right thing. We currently have a fleet of oyster fishermen and shrimpers working together to clean up the spill, I'd say they might be the most knowledgeable (of waterways and moving around the area) but least experienced when it comes to hazmat material and bio-remediation, white boot wearing commercial fishermen are not the best guys for the job.

Edited by SuperBalla

:wacko: They could do something to help prevent the encroaching oil? Fire a torpedo to the hole and cave the earth on top...I dunno, something. I meant more or less, we needed a massive reaction to the oil spill, someone to take charge instead of relying on BP to do the right thing.

Wasnt that tried and abandoned because the waves were too high? like trying to corral the oil and light it on fire? (seriously asking here)

Would blowing up the drill hole with depth charges/explosive work or just make the hole bigger? I think they might have explored that action if it was viable.

:wacko: They could do something to help prevent the encroaching oil? Fire a torpedo to the hole and cave the earth on top...I dunno, something. I meant more or less, we needed a massive reaction to the oil spill, someone to take charge instead of relying on BP to do the right thing.

So far, from everything I've heard BP has been doing everything they possibly can. I think that where BP is probably going to have to have someone hold their feet to the fire is when it comes to making restitution to the businesses and workers along the coast that the spill has affected. I really haven't heard any complaints on them not trying to do everything they can thus far. Have you?

Let's play a game....why does the law limit BP's liability to only $75 million?

I believe that is only if they are not found to be completely at fault. I'm guessing the liability would then be deferred to the guilty party. It's a good question though, but it looks like in this case BP is already claiming full responsibility. Let's hope blame is placed where it belongs, whether that be on BP, the actual owner of the platform or both. BP being responsible for the operation they certainly deserve the brunt of the liability. In the long run this may shed some new light on some of the underhanded deals that have been made with Big Oil and starts righting some of the wrongs like the safety regulations and preparations for a potential disaster.

I have to agree. If the work can be done with resources provided by BP (who should be considered more an expert than anyone), the Coast Guard, local citizens and local govt, as long as those resources are paid for by BP, then I see no reason to involve the Navy & more taxpayers dollars unless there was some specific reason they needed a large force in short order. I'm sure they are already using what Navy resources they have available. I'm not sure what else the Navy could do other than be in the way & make Balla feel better. :tup:

Shooting a torpedo at the hole? I would think you wouldn't want to make the hole bigger or create more fissures in the seabed for the oil to leak out. :wacko:

I do believe, from what I've seen, that everyone involved is giving the situation the proper attention. I was a bit disappointed in the initial slow reaction from Washington. It shouldn't have taken them over a week to cut loose Federal resources. But since then it seems they are doing a lot better.

Edited by rajncajn

That's the spirit. Just start trying things that may or may not make things much worse, just to feed some irrational need people have to think things are being done.

Half of the effed up things that get done and much of what we blame the government for doing is done in response to the fact that people are clamoring for action regardless of whether or not it makes sense.

I was actually wondering about that. In that case, it's an idea so crazy, it just might work.

U know that shiz could work, :wacko: . That idea did cross my mind, funny. Reason why is my Dad, who works for a drill company that has active we'll intrests in the gulf, in wells further and deeper than this Horizon. There was a web-site he mentioned polling people for ideas that the oil community generated on how to remedy this leak. I thought of a friggin jacked up torpedo with TNT, plastics, BeeR, some type of bunker buster and tsunami that bore hole. Fok it, in the meantime, we got a month to pull back buffers from the Marsh.

Why don't we say that we will issue a green card to any person who goes to the Gulf with a mop and a bucket and keeps the beaches and wetlands clean. Any illegal alien remaining in the country after the oil is cleaned up will be instantly deported (police will be instructed to stop EVERYONE they say see for the next two months following the clean-up efforts and ask for their papers--you ain't got em, you get deported).

And while we are at it, why don't we make everyone on welfare go down there and help clean-up too.

Three birds, one stone.

:tup: