[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Massive Gulf Coast Oil Spill

BeeR

edit to add huffpo story...

Wish I could watch the video at work, but that sounds awesome. I wonder how it will do on a larger scale and wonder if dragging hay bales with shrimp boats might be a good strategy. Heck, you could thread the bales & use them to aid the barriers as well.

Edited by rajncajn

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We can't use the common sense solution from a bunch of dumb rednecks. If the solution doesn't come from Washington, it can't be worth a damn.

You and all other rednecks are clearly victims, when it comes to listening to innovative solutions.

I saw that on TV last night - me too. What I don't get is shouldn't there be some kind of team down there in underwater vehicles or whatever working on this around the clock-? What, they're just hanging out chatting about how to fix this while over 200,000 gallons a day pours into the water??

Now BP, in their immaculate brilliance, has decided to shove old tires and golf balls down the hole. Inspiring.

Edited by BeeR

BP claiming yesterday that they are now collecting more than 1/5 of the oil spouting from the pipeline break. Whew...thats a relief!

Are they serious? 1/5? My math tells me that somewhere around 80% of the oil is still spewing into the gulf.

And now real concerns (as I mentioned a few posts back) that the large amount of oil is pushing south , where it will reach a strong current and be shuttled towards the Keys and up the East Coast.

Brutal, brutal, brutal.

Also, this morning NPR reported that BP says the siphon is now collecting up to 40% of the oil coming from the well. However, they also said that they would no longer provide ROV video footage to anyone outside of BP. That includes the Coast Gaurd, EPA, media etc. I wouldn't think they would have a choice. :wacko:

I would have sent a nuke torpedo weeks ago... :popcorn: I would have had the hugh sponge on an ocen liner waiting just incase.

Seriously...how we have taken our prescious marsh and fisheries for granted. How in the world did we let Big Oil have its way with our paradise? The standards were and are a joke. My son (4) will not get to enjoy the incredible paradise I enjoyed his age ...his whole generation...will miss out. Maybe when they are 14 - 16 things will return.

I can't say this is worse than Katrina because my damage was minimal but I saw first hand the damage (insane and sooo sobering), but we can rebuild from the storm, we can't bring back species though. This is terrible beyond the definition.

People around here are so depressed and frustrated...sad. Sucks...

Balla, I feel really bad for all you folks down there. You're right, this is not going to be just one bad season, this will have terrible impacts on the area and the people there for years to come. I wish there was more we could do but it seems that no one really knows how to handle a disaster of this magnitude. And that seems to be the real problem here is that in spite of everything we think we know, we don't know everything.

I've gotta wonder, is BP trying everything they can do to stop the spill or everything they can do to to start the flow into their tankers again?

I would think so, for three reasons. They are losing a diaper dirt load of money trying to stop the leak and also gaining a lot of bad publicity. Also, they want that oil, if they are unable to capture that oil, they are unable to sell that oil. It may as well be dollar bills flowing out of there, they will want to rectify the sutuation.

And, most probably a fourth reason exists for them wanting to get this fixed, they want to be able to tap the reserves out there in the future. The more damage they can avert by fixing this quickly, the more likely their chances of being able to drill in the future.

I've gotta wonder, is BP trying everything they can do to stop the spill or everything they can do to to start the flow into their tankers again?

I'll bet you $3.56 that BP's main goal in private is to collect as much oil as possible regardless of the environment. The environmental concerns are simply lip service and marketing 101.

I'll bet you $3.56 that BP's main goal in private is to collect as much oil as possible regardless of the environment. The environmental concerns are simply lip service and marketing 101.

I hope that someone sees to it that every single future penny that comes out of that well or subsequent wells drilled from the same reserve goes towards wetlands restoration, cleanup, fisheries recovery and compensation for the economic loss.

I hope that someone sees to it that every single future penny that comes out of that well or subsequent wells drilled from the same reserve goes towards wetlands restoration, cleanup, fisheries recovery and compensation for the economic loss.

BP will just make new wetland and fisheries.... :wacko: Just like when they fill in wetlands and make a holding pond and call it even. :tup:

Balla, I feel really bad for all you folks down there. You're right, this is not going to be just one bad season, this will have terrible impacts on the area and the people there for years to come. I wish there was more we could do but it seems that no one really knows how to handle a disaster of this magnitude. And that seems to be the real problem here is that in spite of everything we think we know, we don't know everything.

Thanks bro :wacko:

I know...

Now, they decide to pour mud and concrete. :wacko: Bull chit...we wait a month for this? BP...

"Plans continue to develop a so called "top kill" operation where heavy drilling fluids are injected into the well to stem the flow of oil and gas, followed by cement to seal the well. Most of the equipment is on site and preparations continue for this operation, with a view to deployment in the next few days. Options have also been developed to potentially combine this with the injection under pressure of a variety of materials into the BOP to seal off upward flow.

Work on the first relief well, which began on May 2, continues. The DDII drilling rig began drilling the second relief well on May 16. Each of these wells is estimated to take some three months to complete from the commencement of drilling.

Surface Spill Response and Containment

Work continues to collect and disperse oil that has reached the surface of the sea. Over 930 vessels are involved in the response effort, including skimmers, tugs, barges and recovery vessels.

Intensive operations to skim oil from the surface of the water have now recovered, in total, some 187,000 barrels (7.8 million gallons) of oily liquid. The total length of boom deployed as part of efforts to prevent oil reaching the coast is now more than 1.9 million feet, including over 500,000 feet of sorbent boom.

In total over 19,000 personnel from BP, other companies and government agencies are currently involved in the response to this incident. So far about 19,000 claims have been filed, and some 8,000 payments have been made."

Edited by SuperBalla

I've lost a lot of respect for engineers. They can manage to drill down a mile to the oil, but if something goes wrong, they revert to 3rd grade solutions. Stick a straw in it and pour junk on it until it clogs up. Unbelievable.

I feel for you guys down there, Balla. On a side note, BP is our local gas station of last resort on the main road for more than a few miles where I live. Therefore, it used to be packed. It is noticably less busy. The Shell station is kicking butt. (Of course, they're all pretty much the same :wacko: )