[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Massive Gulf Coast Oil Spill

BeeR

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5,000 barrels a day? Pff... More like 50,000.

Un-freakin-believeable

Worse, they are now saying that the thick black oil you see in the footage is a sign that the most contaminable type of oil is again flowing back into the Gulf. :wacko:

looks like some new equipment is on the scene....be interesting to see what transpires today, of they do indeed start the fill process.

Worse, they are now saying that the thick black oil you see in the footage is a sign that the most contaminable type of oil is again flowing back into the Gulf. :wacko:

looks like some new equipment is on the scene....be interesting to see what transpires today, of they do indeed start the fill process.

I still think there is a LOT more to this than we think, or than they are letting on.

This will easily go down as the WORST disaster in history when all is said and done... Most likely after a decade or 2.

Live Feed of the Leak

I feel sick.

Does it really incite a physical reaction in you, or is this just more liberal hyperbole from you? I mean I don't like it, wish it wasn't happening, and it is probably going to end up ruining a vacation I've got planned for early August in Destin, but I don't have a physical reaction. I can certainly understand those that live there and who's livelihoods are threatened might have a physical reaction but that just seems a little strong for someone in Philly.

Does it really incite a physical reaction in you, or is this just more liberal hyperbole from you? I mean I don't like it, wish it wasn't happening, and it is probably going to end up ruining a vacation I've got planned for early August in Destin, but I don't have a physical reaction. I can certainly understand those that live there and who's livelihoods are threatened might have a physical reaction but that just seems a little strong for someone in Philly.

I need to live on a state brodering the Gulf to to be disgusted by this pollution, and its effect on the wildlife/natural resources in the area? What would being from Philly, or New York, or Tokyo have to do with anything? Or do you not understand that disasters such as this area global concerns.

No need to wake up in a bad mood, Perch....your new confederate flag will likely arrive in the mail today.

You will be ill when you start paying the taxes & higher gas prices to help pay for the cleanup and when you go to buy seafood only to find out it costs twice what you used to pay and it is imported from China.

Edited by rajncajn

No need to wake up in a bad mood, Perch....your new confederate flag will likely arrive in the mail today.

I have one that was hanging in fron tof the SC state house

You will be ill when you start paying the taxes & higher gas prices to help pay for the cleanup and when you go to buy seafood only to find out it costs twice what you used to pay and it is imported from China.

There are very good shrimp, oyster and other fisheries off of the GA coast. Just trying to plug a GA industry here, no offense intended.

There are very good shrimp, oyster and other fisheries off of the GA coast. Just trying to plug a GA industry here, no offense intended.

No offense intended either, but for some reason East Coast seafood just doesn't taste as good. My first trips to both East & West coasts I was excited to get a taste of their fresh seafood & was only met with disappointment. :wacko: Not only that, but they have no where near they yield of the Gulf Coast which provides over 1/3 of our countries seafood.

Venice, Louisiana (CNN) -- Federal authorities Wednesday gave the final authorization needed for BP to begin proceeding with the "top kill" maneuver to contain oil gushing into the Gulf of Mexico.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/05/26/gulf.oil....dex.html?hpt=T2

Why the hell does the fed gov have to give permission for this?!?!?! Is this something that BP may have wanted to do earlier but couldn't get the go ahead? The way this is written sounds really strange.

If BP decides to proceed with the top kill procedure, it will pump 50,000 pounds of thick, viscous fluid twice the density of water into the site of the leak to stop the oil flow. If all goes according to plan, the well then can be sealed shut with cement.

Good lord what took so long. :wacko:

I need to live on a state brodering the Gulf to to be disgusted by this pollution, and its effect on the wildlife/natural resources in the area? What would being from Philly, or New York, or Tokyo have to do with anything? Or do you not understand that disasters such as this area global concerns.

No, I'm disgusted, but have yet to have a physical reaction to what is happening that is all I meant. BTW, I've never owned a confederate flag, and don't think I plan on buying one anytime soon.

rajn, I'm not trying to down play what is going on. It is terrible, and it is going to have a hugh impact on the local economy as well as the national economy. Still that impact is much less than it would be if we have a knee jerk reaction to this and try to use this as a talking point for not drilling. That is all I'm saying.

rajn, I'm not trying to down play what is going on. It is terrible, and it is going to have a hugh impact on the local economy as well as the national economy. Still that impact is much less than it would be if we have a knee jerk reaction to this and try to use this as a talking point for not drilling. That is all I'm saying.

And I didn't take it that way either. The comment wasn't necessarily addressed at you, just speaking on a broader scale implying that most Americans are complacent on the issue not realizing the overall impact this will have on everyone. I agree, stopping drilling is not the solution. Tougher regulations, a regulatory body that is more closely scrutinized and better preparedness for a massive spill are.

And I didn't take it that way either. The comment wasn't necessarily addressed at you, just speaking on a broader scale implying that most Americans are complacent on the issue not realizing the overall impact this will have on everyone. I agree, stopping drilling is not the solution. Tougher regulations, a regulatory body that is more closely scrutinized and better preparedness for a massive spill are.

This is actually one of the few areas that I think strict but reasonable federal regulation is required. You know I'm all about smaller government, but off shore drilling "gone bad" can affect the environment of many states. I'd be all for tighter or tougher regulation that is well thought out, supposing of course that it doesn't already exist. I say supposing that it doesn't already exist, because I know how easily corrupted regulators can become. I still question if we really need financial reform, or immigration reform, but rather we need to enforce the regulations and laws that we have. I'm not sure if the disaster in the gulf is due to lack of regulation, or poor oversight. Based on what little I've seen it appears to be more a case of poor and possibly corrupt oversight.

This is actually one of the few areas that I think strict but reasonable federal regulation is required. You know I'm all about smaller government, but off shore drilling "gone bad" can affect the environment of many states. I'd be all for tighter or tougher regulation that is well thought out, supposing of course that it doesn't already exist. I say supposing that it doesn't already exist, because I know how easily corrupted regulators can become. I still question if we really need financial reform, or immigration reform, but rather we need to enforce the regulations and laws that we have. I'm not sure if the disaster in the gulf is due to lack of regulation, or poor oversight. Based on what little I've seen it appears to be more a case of poor and possibly corrupt oversight.

Perch, did you read of how an "acoustical trigger" maybe could have stopped the oil leak?

Maybe be like some other countries and require this device on all rigs in US waters? :wacko: maybe it would ahve worked, maybe it wouldnt have, but dont you want to always err on the side of safety and control in situations like this? They chose to not do to save costs. I really dont think that emergency failsafes like this should be voluntary . . . You and I are both in agreement on that one.

Edited by bpwallace49

CNN reporting that they have begun pumping the drilling fluid, but it may be 10-12 hours before we know if it is working. If you are a praying person I know everyone here would appreciate the support & if not the good vibes go a long way too.

CNN reporting that they have begun pumping the drilling fluid, but it may be 10-12 hours before we know if it is working. If you are a praying person I know everyone here would appreciate the support & if not the good vibes go a long way too.

That and fingers crossed.

No offense intended either, but for some reason East Coast seafood just doesn't taste as good. My first trips to both East & West coasts I was excited to get a taste of their fresh seafood & was only met with disappointment. :tup: Not only that, but they have no where near they yield of the Gulf Coast which provides over 1/3 of our countries seafood.

I agree

Trust me, vibes are sent!

If this top kill doesn't work...I'm telling you...the military should try and cave the Gulf floor in, on top that well head. What else we gonna do after we send crappy shoes from spammers One golf balls and bunch of junk. I watched those ROV's figit with this 5 story hunk of chit down here all day. It is unobtainable and we need to just light that bisch up with a torpedo...I'm serious. :wacko:

Edited by SuperBalla