[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A little beer shopping tonight

Puddy

Word. I've tried that against any number of cherry lambics and it certainly holds it's own if not better.

On another note: Just tried Stone's Belgo Anise, which is their Belgian-style Russian Imperial Stout with Anise. Whatever that is. But it's pretty damned tasty. Second big black beer with anise that I've liked. The other being Crooked Line Labyrinth

Is there anything Stone doest do well? And are you serious about not knowing what anise is? Dont you own an asian restaraunt? :wacko:

Is there anything Stone doest do well?

I am holding judgement on the Old Belgo. Right now it is not a balanced beer, the yeast and hops completely overpower the malt. I've cellared a couple bottles and will report back next year.

Is there anything Stone doest do well? And are you serious about not knowing what anise is? Dont you own an asian restaraunt? :wacko:

I understand what Anise is. I'm not sure what a Belgian-style Russian Imperial Stout with Anise is supposed to be.

ETA: For that matter, I also understand what this beer is supposed to be. Just pointing out that it was rather unusual.

Edited by detlef

I understand what Anise is. I'm not sure what a Belgian-style Russian Imperial Stout with Anise is supposed to be.

ETA: For that matter, I also understand what this beer is supposed to be. Just pointing out that it was rather unusual.

Agreed. For me craft beer making is taking a turn for the worse with all the "extra" ingredients brewers are starting to throw in just for experimental sake. Jason and Todd over at BA made a batch a couple months ago with mushrooms! called it something like "Funk soul Mother". Now I respect these two a lot, but like many other brewmasters they are taking a beautiful creation with just four simple ingredients and making it something it isn't. Sure experiment with different sugars, malts, yeast profiles etc. I love these types of complexities, yet throw in some crazy herb, flower, fruit, veggie, fungus etc. and that is where I usually draw the line between good and absurd.

I know, just busting balls. I have read enough from you in this forum to know that you know your stuff.

Agreed. For me craft beer making is taking a turn for the worse with all the "extra" ingredients brewers are starting to throw in just for experimental sake. Jason and Todd over at BA made a batch a couple months ago with mushrooms! called it something like "Funk soul Mother". Now I respect these two a lot, but like many other brewmasters they are taking a beautiful creation with just four simple ingredients and making it something it isn't. Sure experiment with different sugars, malts, yeast profiles etc. I love these types of complexities, yet throw in some crazy herb, flower, fruit, veggie, fungus etc. and that is where I usually draw the line between good and absurd.

Well, in fairness to Stone and this beer, I've certainly seen bigger sins in terms of beer making silliness than the inclusion of a spice like Anise. Like I mentioned above, the only other previous example I've had was the Labyrinth by Crooked Line and I think that beer effing rocks.

But, in general, I hear you and, for that reason, certainly pick and choose with my Dogfishhead selections. As I find him to be the among the most guilty of this practice, and, comes up with some pretty undrinkable beers as a result. I can't stand Midas Touch or Black and Blue, for starters and there's a number of other silly beers they make that I could certainly take or leave. But I do like me some Festina Peche right now.

for a crapload of ingredients, check out Bell's Batch 10,000

I can't find the pic that listed them all but here's a write up

The last in our Batch series is being packaged today and tomorrow. While we are excited to free up some brewing space for other creative projects, the end of the Batch series marks a major milestone for us, and is a little bittersweet being the end of an era. Batch 10,000 reflects our homebrewing roots and was inspired by the the last homebrew of the season. Our owner Larry Bell remembers going through his brewing supplies and making the last homebrew out of whatever malts and hops were left from his brewing months. With this being the motivation behind our last commemorative batch series beer, we combed through the catalogs of many malt and hop suppliers to source 100 different malts, grains, and other fermentables. This is balanced by the addition of 60 different hop varietals between the kettle and dry hopping. The resulting beer presents a deep, chocolate brown hue and offers roasted and caramel notes from the malts mixed with an assertive hop character. Feel free to drink it fresh, or vintage age it as you please.

We lift our glass in appreciation to Bell's drinkers who have helped us reach this moment in our brewery's history. Cheers to you!

Continue reading on Examiner.com Beer alert: Bell's Batch 10,000 released (UPDATED) - Chicago craft beer | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/craft-beer-in-chic...d#ixzz1PP8RwxgP

found the link

here

Edited by loaf

for a crapload of ingredients, check out Bell's Batch 10,000

I can't find the pic that listed them all but here's a write up

found the link

here

Holy crap...I bought a 6-pack and thought it was pretty good. I kept one bottle since it's their last in the series.

I'm having a hard time finding a better mixer than Youngs...Cherry Wheat, Celise, Orange Blossom, Soft Parade...pretty much if the other beer has a fruit inclination it is going to go great with the chocolate.

Going to the Washington Brewers Fest today for Fathers Day with my daughter and her boyfriend. Four hundred different pours this year! First year she can drink beer. She likes the fruity stuff, which there will be plenty of nice options. Her boyfriend is mostly a macro boy (over the last two of these he attended with me proceeded to get wayyy too hammered) likes IPA 's mostly, I think for the high alcohol content. I'm looking forward to some Stone, Deschutes, Hair of the Dog, Black Raven and Boundary Bay special pulls. Mostly browns and ambers. This is where I was introduced to the nectar called DFH Indian Brown Ale two years ago. Still in my top five. After that we are coming back and grilling carne asada with grilled peppers and onions with hand made tortillas. Oh and a few more beers to include a Lagunitas Wilco Tango Foxtrot to end the day. Happy Fathers Day all!!!

That's a big sexy beer.

and deliciously malty.

Great Divide Hoss is out. It has got to be my favorite American Marzen. I think the Rye is an excellent touch that you wouldn't think of adding to the style.

and deliciously malty.

Great Divide Hoss is out. It has got to be my favorite American Marzen. I think the Rye is an excellent touch that you wouldn't think of adding to the style.

Always among my favorites as well and I specifically asked for a sample to put in the line-up when I did the pairings for tomorrow night's dinner. But it was nowhere as good as I remembered. I was trying with some other geeks and they all agreed. Could have been a bad bottle. Who knows, because I've always really dug it.

We also got in a case of their Rumble Oak-aged IPA that I'll just be featuring pre-dinner.

On another note, I got my allocation of Devil Dancer today. Nearly $100 a case wholesale! Haven't tried it yet, I was at the other restaurant today.

Speaking of funky IPAs. I got in a case of, and tried the Terrapin Smoked DIPA. We brought it in for an upcoming dinner and I did not really have high hopes, but it was pretty damned tasty.

Always among my favorites as well and I specifically asked for a sample to put in the line-up when I did the pairings for tomorrow night's dinner. But it was nowhere as good as I remembered. I was trying with some other geeks and they all agreed. Could have been a bad bottle. Who knows, because I've always really dug it.

We also got in a case of their Rumble Oak-aged IPA that I'll just be featuring pre-dinner.

On another note, I got my allocation of Devil Dancer today. Nearly $100 a case wholesale! Haven't tried it yet, I was at the other restaurant today.

Speaking of funky IPAs. I got in a case of, and tried the Terrapin Smoked DIPA. We brought it in for an upcoming dinner and I did not really have high hopes, but it was pretty damned tasty.

Nice selection of Great Divide beers, I have not had the scotch ale. The Oskar Blues Old Chub has got to be my favorite on the market right now.

I got a sixer of Belgique that was flat a couple months ago. I emailed them and they sent a ton of swag my way, including replacement beer. Love that brewery. I sent them a ton of NASA stuff in return. The American microbreweries have really become great in the last few years.

Edited by jetsfan

What he said.

Just finishing off a case of plain ol Becks. Unspectacular but reliable.