[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A little beer shopping tonight

Puddy

Bought a bomber of:

Southern Tier's Choklat stout

Rogue Voodoo Doughnut (bacon + maple)

Three Floyd's Blackbeard English IPA

Fathead's Head Hunter IPA in a four pack

Buffalo Bill's Strawberry Ale + ginger 6 pack to take with me to a party on Saturday

the Buffalo Bill was overpowered by the ginger

the Bacon Maple smelled better than it tasted. Though I could taste the maple clearly.

The Blackbeard was very good, as is most of the beers from 3 Floyd's that I've had.

Choklat Stout is consistently a winner.

And I got my bottle of Pliny the Elder from Sugar Magnolia, just haven't tried it yet.

The year was 2010 and Cleveland was in the midst of their 2nd Beer Week. I bought tickets to the closing ceremony, known as BrewZilla. You waited in line like you were getting on a roller coaster at Cedar Point. Waiting for the go-ahead. The OK it's now cool to sample the many beers laid out in front of you. First left up ahead was a little peninsula of a cutaway in the Mall that housed our event. Green Flash was in this little inlet. With shirts and keychains to entice you to taste their creations. At the time, they had two beers. The West Coast IPA and another that has faded from memory. That IPA had me coming back for more. I met the Brewer...his name also clouded by hops. But what a great night, and what a great beer.

Love their IPA. Just had their Hophead Red recently on draft and it is very good as well.

Yep, between them and Anderson Valley coming into the GA market recently, it's not even a contest which I'm more excited about (though Anderson Valley does make some nice drinkable beers, just not the big aggressive flavor like GF). The Green Flash West Coast IPA is also pretty incredible.

I just started picking up weekend shifts at an awesome craft beer store, and here are the highlights so far:

Get 'em while you can

Dogfish head Burton Baton - an oak-aged imperial IPA, is pretty much a slightly bigger version of the 60/90 minute at 10%, and with the oak-aging to add a little more sweetness to the already sweet malts they use. It easily is a top 5 IPA I've ever tried, with maybe even better balance than their ower alcohol IPAs. This year's batch is so good, I'm gonna have to stash a few bottles of this.

Founders Devil Dancer - Triple IPA comes in at 12%. Being even bigger than their Double Trouble DIPA, you'd expect this one to really smack you in the face with the hops and alcohol, and it does, but once your pallete adjusts to it (and is subsequently destroyed by it), it is a pretty nice citrusy piney beer like the Double Trouble. Kind of lacking in balance though, so it helped that I drank a couple other beers before trying this one. Might be a bit too much with a totally clean pallete.

Other notables:

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale - People had been raving about this, so I had to try a growler of it. Definitely has some bourbon character for you bourbon lovers like me, and of course plenty of vanilla and oak notes from the barrel aging. Some say you have to like bourbon to like it, but I thought it was plenty approachable and tasty.

Victory Summer Love - I'm normally not too big on summer beers (and American Blond doesn't sound like my style either), but this was a really nice crisp one that I could drink any time of the year. For a lighter beer, it actually was fairly bold with some hops and flavor, and also kind of reminded me of a toned down Bells Oarsman, with a little bit of that sour-mash sort of taste going on. Perfect for summer drinking at 5.2%.

The funny thing with Devil Dancer. I've bought two bottles in my life. By the time I got to them I was pretty toasty. Put the glass down on the coffee table and passed out. Woke up to the sound of glass hitting wood and beer everywhere. Damn shame as they're $5 12 oz bottles at retail. I had a few sips but dang...

Burton Baton is a staple this time of year.

Not a bourbon fan so I tend to stay away from everything barrel aged unless I absolutely have to try it. Then I'll sponge a taster from a friend and won't buy a whole bomber

The funny thing with Devil Dancer. I've bought two bottles in my life. By the time I got to them I was pretty toasty. Put the glass down on the coffee table and passed out. Woke up to the sound of glass hitting wood and beer everywhere. Damn shame as they're $5 12 oz bottles at retail. I had a few sips but dang...

Burton Baton is a staple this time of year.

Not a bourbon fan so I tend to stay away from everything barrel aged unless I absolutely have to try it. Then I'll sponge a taster from a friend and won't buy a whole bomber

You weren't missing much, besides the $5 spent. Really, unless you just have to have the most hoppy high-gravity beer, it's not really anymore special than their cheaper and less rare Double Trouble DIPA. in fact, if I'm buying more than one bottle, will buy the DT every time over $20 4-packs of this.

Oh, I left off perhaps the best of them all, the Port Mongo DIPA... Seriously, an incredibly good beer. It even got a 93 from the BA snobs.

Edited by delusions of grandeur

I have found heaven. And it's name is "world of beer"

A beer only establishment that does not serve food, they have 40 taps that switch very quickly due to availability and season. You can try a sample of any draft before buying a glass, and they have an outstanding bottle menu that you can also mix and match a 6 pack to take home.

world of beer is coming here and folks are already lamenting the end of the craft beer stores. Calling this the Walmart of beer. I say, yeah, support the locals but don't hate before you see what they offer.

world of beer is coming here and folks are already lamenting the end of the craft beer stores. Calling this the Walmart of beer. I say, yeah, support the locals but don't hate before you see what they offer.

Walmart? :old unsure: all I know is they have stuff on tap that I can't find anywhere else, and you can sample before you buy. You can also mix and match flights and their drafts constantly are changing. Had Abita barley wine , green flash le freake, left hand milk nitro stout and red seal.

Loaf, the place is pretty awesome.

I just started picking up weekend shifts at an awesome craft beer store, and here are the highlights so far:

Where are you working? I'll come visit.

There is a new craft beer store in Alpharetta - http://blindmurphy.com/ - that I have been hitting a couple of times a week to try out new stuff. I like the 32 oz growlers to try good brews without having to commit to 64oz that I may or may not be able to drink fast enough.

Walmart? :old unsure: all I know is they have stuff on tap that I can't find anywhere else, and you can sample before you buy. You can also mix and match flights and their drafts constantly are changing. Had Abita barley wine , green flash le freake, left hand milk nitro stout and red seal.

Loaf, the place is pretty awesome.

Here's his full rant:

Even if this place does purchase "local" beer, there's zero investment in our local scene or community. Make no mistake, the people behind this bought a franchise from a Florida based company, they didn't have the gumption or creativity to create something unique. They don't "get" craft beer - their menu is like 57 channels and nothing on. Within 10 blocks of this place, I can purchase a craft beer from Rozi's, Melt, Deagan's, Winking Lizard, Buckeye Beer Engine, etc. - all Ohio based businesses who have paid their dues and taken a risk to develop something unique. World of beer is the SNICKERSing Walmart of tap rooms and I really hope the Lakewood locals drive them out of town with pitchforks and torches. And don't get me started on places with "beer shots" and "it's OK to mix drafts" on their menu.

Where are you working? I'll come visit.

There is a new craft beer store in Alpharetta - http://blindmurphy.com/ - that I have been hitting a couple of times a week to try out new stuff. I like the 32 oz growlers to try good brews without having to commit to 64oz that I may or may not be able to drink fast enough.

Definitely! I'm working over at Hop City Craft Beer and Wine, down in Midtown, right near GA Tech and the Dome. They also do homebrew supplies, and have 60 growler taps with about 20 locals (that you can also do in 32 or 64 ounces). I haven't been to the place in Alpharetta, but it's hard to believe there's a better craft beer store around ATL (also a plus that it's not yet a chain like Total Wine, and the owner is a total beer geek. They're opening one in Birmingham too though).

I also like the 32 ounces. I feel like I'm abusing my liver just trying to finish this 64 of a DIPA (still on the Port Mongo while it's in), before it goes flat.

Right now I'm just picking up shifts, so Saturday afternoon/night is the only shift I can guarantee I'll be there right now. I'll hit you up by PM to let you know, cuz you might wanna come check it out before football season if it's a Saturday.

no shopping, but had lunch at north coast brewery

Hands down one of the finest brewers of quality craft on the WC. The secret is out now and they still stick to their guns and produce quality over quantity. Their Old Raspy and Pranqster are great representations. Though I haven't had any of their quaffs I didn't enjoy. Their Red Seal is a session brew I love also.

Edited by Hugh B Tool

Hands down one of the finest brewers of quality craft on the WC. The secret is out now and they still stick to their guns and produce quality over quantity. Their Old Raspy and Pranqster are great representations. Though I haven't had any of their quaffs I didn't enjoy. Their Red Seal is a session brew I love also.

Brother thelonious is also delicious

Brother thelonious is also delicious

Oh yeah, totally agree. As I said, they make great representations of most every style. Have stayed true to their principals. If I'm going to go to just a bit higher pricepoint than my usual weekly, Northcoast is always one of my go to's.