[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A little beer shopping tonight

Puddy

Brew Do Parradox Isle of Arran has got to be one of the best whiskey stouts I have ever had. The flavor profile is abosulotely amazing. Starts with the smell of Scottish whiskey, ten nice mellow stout, and finishes with vanilla, cinammon and smooth. Wow.

I'm gonna go on a buying spree soon here for Sunday. Also gonna get some brats to throw in the crock with a bottle of porter and some onions...

Nice,

Jim Koch was a guest speaker at class last week. Good guy, loves beer in all forms. Gave everyone two 12 packs of his Harvest series. 2 each of Hazel Brown, Lat 48 IPA, Octoberfest, Pumpkin Ale, Dunkelweizen and Boston Lager. I have never loved Sam's, yet never disliked it. I really like the Lat48 as to me it is alsmost a perfect representation. Not over hopped, yet they use a bunch and not concentrate. The Hazel is my fav in this batch though, as it is sooo nutty and smooth. This years Octoberfest doesn't dissapoint at all. The Dunkel is actually pretty complex and a fine representation of the style. The Pumpkin is very good also. Especially if you enjoy this style in the frist place. All solid, and from what he said, the 12 pack will be at a very nice pricepoint. Local supermarket had it in this week for $11.99, another $12.99. At about a buck a beer, you can't go wrong for a gameday sampler.

Southern Tier's Pumking is outstanding this year. Have had it twice, both on tap. I swear I can taste the whipped cream.

Agreed, very tasty like a pumpkin pie. It's not quite as much of a desert beer as their creme brulee, but pretty close. Very good though. We finally just got in down here (like 13 cases that will still run out in a couple days with the insane demand), while some others have been here since August. I'm wondering if that's a distribution thing to hit all of the markets, or if they just realize that people will buy and drink and Oktoberfest or Pumpkin in the hot August (and they actually will).

Haven't really broken into the pumpkin beers this year. I've always thought Dogfishead's was overrated, with too much brown sugar instead of primarily all-spice and pumpkin, but those who like it say they knocked this year's out of the park... Also for you all who get Terrapin, my uncle actually did the spices for the Terrapin Pumpkinfest, which is an oktoberfest lager combined with pumpkins and spices. It's really been a bit hit since they first brewed it a few years back.

Just tried a few more from Green Flash. Their Imperial IPA and Double Stout were both outstanding (not sure if they even have those in bottles or if we just don't get them yet). Also the Saison was actually pretty good, but off for the Saison-style where you're looking for more of a dry crisp finish and more funk than sweetness. Really tasted more like a Belgian golden, but worth trying...

On tap tonight is the new Lips of Faith Peach Porch Lounger, which I believe is supposed to be a twist on a saison with peaches. Already seen mixed reviews from the online beer geeks, but I love peach beers (even this year's festina peche that was too dry even for my tastes), so I'm kinda excited about this one.

Been on an IPA kick for the past couple of years... Literally trying every one that I can get my hands on, for the most part. Granted, I live in Williston, ND currently, so my options are very limited. When I'm traveling, though, IPA's are usually the first thing I look for, when selecting a beer. I don't necessarily have a favorite (I'd probably have to try a few again to come up with a short list), but I definitely do have a short list of IPA's that I didn't care for. Off the top of my head:

Summit IPA - Don't remember exactly what it was, but remember making a mental note that it wasn't very good.

Shocktop IPA - Don't know how to describe this, other than to say that it tastes like what I would imagine fermented piss to taste like, if there were such a thing. In fact, I'm not even sure I want to finish the six-pack, honestly. I don't think I've ever said that before, about any type of beer.

On a side note, I had a six-pack of Stone IPA last week (I hadn't had it in quite a while), and it's still pretty good stuff.

Edit: Sidenote #2... Living in oil boom country really makes one notice the difference in price, for certain things. As I said, options for beer/wine/liquor purchases are very limited here. Six-packs go for around $10 (give or take a dollar or two, depending on the beer), and you're lucky if you can find anything larger than a six-pack (unless you're buying the standard... Bud, Miller, Coors, Corona, etc.). What's even worse is the liquor prices here... A 1.75 liter bottle of Jack Daniel's, for example, will cost you about $60. Costco sells it for what, $35 or so? Crazy.

Edited by Gopher

Holy cow, maybe it's because it was draft, but I didn't remember the Avery Dugana (Imperial IPA) being this damn good. Has some piney hoppiness like a west-coast IPA, but it makes way for incredible citrusy hops. HIGHLY recommend.

The Lips of Faith peach porch lounger, was very good, but I think they didn't call it a saison on purpose. It definitely has that saison yeast and spice, but with little bit of tart peach and lemon on the finish, rather than dryness. Not spectacular, but like all the Lips of Faith beers, worth trying...

But my favorite one recently has to be the Shipyard Smashed Blueberry, a stout/scotch hybrid ale with blueberry. Maybe a bit of dessert beer, but I drank a bomber myself no problem. Freaking amazing!

Thought I saw this beer mentioned somewhere in this thread, but we just got New Holland beers in, and their Dragon's Milk is freaking incredible. Oak aged sweetness, roasty malts, smooth, but makes way for some boozy bourbon notes that comes together like heaven.

Was not nearly as impressed with their IPA though, that had these grassy, almost English-style hops.

I bought a four pack of Resin twice now. That is a fantastic IPA. Apparently Six Point only sells cans but I could drink that beer anytime. The same with Bear Republic's Racer 5. I was in Myrtle Beach last week and I got to try it on tap. I've always compared IPA's to Bell's Two Hearted. I may need to change the benchmark.

We just got Sixpoint here in Houston and Resin is excellent. I really like Sweet Action too, great blend of a cream ale with IPA-style hops. Picked up a 12 of Racer 5, a great session beer.

Hit the Kemah beerfest yesterday. Overall, meh. They didn't have anything real unique. Oaked Arrogant Bastard being the highlight. I think the oak adds a nice complexity to the bastard that it lacks in its normal form.

The hangover is brutal though.