[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A little beer shopping tonight

Puddy

• 2 weeks later...

Tonights haul:

Mini-keg of Bell's Oberon - have had these a few times. Great summer beer that I plan on sharing at our annual block party next Saturday. $19.99.

Stone IPA - first time I've bought anything from Stone. I've heard great things and this IPA is f'n great. Well worth the $9.99 I paid.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - I've had this plenty of times and it is a great value at $7.99 for a sixer.

Hoegaarden - 12 pack for $15.99. It's an oldie but goodie. Looking forward to opening these in the next couple of weeks.

Great Lakes Burning River - Never had this one but I've enjoyed everything else from GL. An American Pale Ale that I've read good things about.

Unibroue Don-De-Dieu - Belgian style "strong" pale ale. Not chilled yet but looking forward to tasting it. At 9% ABV, I'll tread lightly. I've heard really good things about this brewery overall.

Twisted Tea - Bought it for the wife. :wacko:

Great Lakes Burning River - Never had this one but I've enjoyed everything else from GL. An American Pale Ale that I've read good things about.

I believe that is their flagship beer and knew the brewer quite well for awhile. He brewed up in the Pacific NW after developing beer for Great Lakes. Very good beer.

I believe that is their flagship beer and knew the brewer quite well for awhile. He brewed up in the Pacific NW after developing beer for Great Lakes. Very good beer.

Dortmunder is their flagship but anything you find in the stores is good.

Unibroue Don-De-Dieu - Belgian style "strong" pale ale. Not chilled yet but looking forward to tasting it. At 9% ABV, I'll tread lightly. I've heard really good things about this brewery overall.

Okay...this beer is just plain good. I had two last night and they reminded me of Bell's Hopslam. They call it a strong pale ale but it's a DIPA in my mind. I was so impressed that I picked up a four pack of their La Fin Du Monde tonight. Also very good but a lighter taste. It appears that all of their beers are 9% ABV. :wacko:

Okay...this beer is just plain good. I had two last night and they reminded me of Bell's Hopslam. They call it a strong pale ale but it's a DIPA in my mind. I was so impressed that I picked up a four pack of their La Fin Du Monde tonight. Also very good but a lighter taste. It appears that all of their beers are 9% ABV. :wacko:

Never had the Don-De-Dieu or Hopslam - will definitely put bot on my list. I should be able to pick up a 4 pack of DDD in Baltimore next week when I'm down there - I'll have to see if they carry teh Bell's too. This is much better than trying to buy beer in PA! :tup:

Never had the Don-De-Dieu or Hopslam - will definitely put bot on my list. I should be able to pick up a 4 pack of DDD in Baltimore next week when I'm down there - I'll have to see if they carry teh Bell's too. This is much better than trying to buy beer in PA! :wacko:

The Hopslam is a seasonal from Bell's that is usually only available from late January through March or so.

I've had most of Unibroue's offerings and they are awesome! I even own a La Fin du Monde T-Shirt and Unibroue tulip glass given to me by the distributor at one of the beer tastings.

I have in the fridge, a bottle of Southern Tier's Farmer's Tan. An Imperial Pale Lager. 22 oz bottle 9 %

I'm waiting to find their 2XIPA which is supposed to be out in 6 packs.

• 1 month later...

It is that time of year! :wacko:

Oktoberfest extravaganza!

Real Ale - not a good representation of the style, a little too hoppy, but a good tasting beer nonetheless

St. Arnold's - ugh, I wish they would change their recipe, every year is a disappointment, no malty goodness to be found.

Spaten - decent offering each year, I am not a fan of the hop profile, i think it is too acidic

Shiner - Shockingly good, the right amount of hops and malt, for dirt cheap. Once again, Shiner proves they can make a good beer, but why do they not put forth the effort on their other offerings?

Paulaner - pure malty goodness, the gold-standard. Run out and get some now! now!

Hacker-Schorr and Haufbrau - similar to Spaten, nothing special. If I'm going to buy a six of German Oktoberfest, I am getting the Paulaner every time.

Next on the list to try: Left Hand.

Any others out there you guys like?

I've had most of Unibroue's offerings and they are awesome! I even own a La Fin du Monde T-Shirt and Unibroue tulip glass given to me by the distributor at one of the beer tastings.

I have in the fridge, a bottle of Southern Tier's Farmer's Tan. An Imperial Pale Lager. 22 oz bottle 9 %

I'm waiting to find their 2XIPA which is supposed to be out in 6 packs.

So, we had our Unibroue dinner this past Wednesday. The real standout for me was the Noire de Chambly. Obviously the Fin du Monde, Terrible, and Quelque Chose were more impressive, but the Noire was just so damned pretty. Dark without being rich. Super clean and totally regal. A great dark for the season and soon to be a fixture on our list.

Also fired open a Foothills Brewing Co. Baltic Porter last Friday. Stuff is of legend locally and they actually had a special release party for it at a local shop. Dudes were freaking tailgating in the parking lot and chight. None the less, very impressive indeed. Super rich but really balanced.

Had an Avery Maharaja later that night that blew my freaking mind. My new favorite DIPA. Dat chights like candy.

Has ANYONE has beer from Two Brother's Brewery out of Warrenville, IL?

They have a limited distribution area, but I would love to hear from anyone else that has had it.

I have their Hop Juice chilling in the fridge now. Because of you and the store owner. Mostly you.

• 4 weeks later...

Tonight's haul:

Great Lakes Dortmunder

Michigan Brewing's Screaming Pumpkin - had one of these yesterday. Pretty tasty if you like pumpkin beers.

Short's Nicie Spicie - love this beer

Hacker Pschorr Oktoberfest - I know Jetsfan prefers Paulaner but I haven't had either yet and beeradvocate likes this one more so I went with it.

Young's Double Chocolate (again, and yes I'm in love)

I had a six of Southern Tier's Seasonal. Nice and hoppy. I think it was called just Seasonal...

I have a six pack of Cans of 21st Amendment's Back in Black. A black IPA. Will have it tonight or tomorrow.

Going to my neighbor's Oktoberfest party tonight. He has a 1/4 keg of Spaten Oktoberfest, I am bringing a case of Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest, and many other people will bring other types of beer to share.

Also, I have a friend in visiting from Germany, so I bought him some local beers to try (Founder's Centennial, Bell's Porter, Bell's Two-Hearted Ale, New Holland Poet Stout, and a few other random things that I can't remember right now and that I am too lazy to go look in my beer fridge to see). I felt obligated to get decent beers for my friend to drink since another friend of ours took him out and had "hipster" beers with him the other night (Stroh's, Pabst Blue Ribbon, etc.)

Just got back from Japan, and there is a single bright spot in a sea of crappy rice beers.

Hitachino Nest Beer

The beers are excellent across the board and I brought home the 'Ancient' beer, which I haven't tried yet. link

As for fall American beers, the DogfishHead Punk is fantastic. My favorite pumpkin beer by a mile.

Edited by jetsfan

Hacker Pschorr Oktoberfest - I know Jetsfan prefers Paulaner but I haven't had either yet and beeradvocate likes this one more so I went with it.

I have to say I wasn't overly impressed with the Hacker Pschorr Oktoberfest. It was fine but didn't stand out to me. Now it may be because I drank it from the bottle so I'm not sure.

I have to say I wasn't overly impressed with the Hacker Pschorr Oktoberfest. It was fine but didn't stand out to me. Now it may be because I drank it from the bottle so I'm not sure.

Paulaner is the gold standard of Oktoberfest beers. Weihanstephaner makes a Fest Bier that is a bit hoppier but very nice as well. It's not what I would call a traditional marzen though.

The only American version that I've ever had that was close was the Oktoberfest from Harpoon.

Bought a couple sixers of Sierra Nevadas seasonal Brown Ale last night. Called The Tumbler. Good stuff, price point was good. Also had a couple Dead Guy Ales which I absolutely love.

Tried the Tumbler last week and really dug it as well. I also, especially for the money, their Torpedo IPA is pretty damned good.

So, new stuff that I've brought in at Dos Perros:

Bells Oracle DIPA

Bells Oktoberfest

The Saison du Buff batches that Victory and Dogfish did (Stone's came out some time ago and I plan to put 6 of each aside for aging)

Terrapin Hopzilla

Bells 25th Anniversary

This year's Dogfish Burton Baton (gonna archive most of this)

Got a keg of the Victory Braumeister Pils on the way as well as a 1/6 of a local Brown Ale (Sweet Josie by Lonerider) which just took Gold in it's category at GABF this weekend.

Lastly, if I haven't been hyping the Brooklyn Sorachi Ace enough, let me do so now. What a really amazing and unique beer. Sorachi Ace is a Japanese hop strain that is gives off a ton of citrus. The beer is a Saison finished with Champagne yeast. Super dry and with tons of lemongrass nuance. One of the prettiest beers I've had in a long time.