[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

18-year-old Ryo Ishikawa

Gopher

72-73-66-62

+1 after the first two rounds, then 16-under on the weekend. That is easily one of the best weekends in PGA Tour history... incredible. Also becomes the youngest winner on tour since what's-his-name in 1996.

Whoever said the PGA Tour would be in trouble without Tiger doesn't know what they're talking about. Woods or no Woods, there are enough up-and-coming stars (Kim, McIlroy, Ryo, Fowler) to keep the tour interesting for the next 20-something years, at least. :wacko:

72-73-66-62

+1 after the first two rounds, then 16-under on the weekend. That is easily one of the best weekends in PGA Tour history... incredible. Also becomes the youngest winner on tour since what's-his-name in 1996.

Whoever said the PGA Tour would be in trouble without Tiger doesn't know what they're talking about. Woods or no Woods, there are enough up-and-coming stars (Kim, McIlroy, Ryo, Fowler) to keep the tour interesting for the next 20-something years, at least. :wacko:

"in trouble" and "boring" are two seperate arguments all together

"in trouble" and "boring" are two seperate arguments all together

Understood, and I completely agree... The first argument is naive, the second comes from those with a "less than superb" taste in sports viewing. :wacko: My comment was directed at those who claim the PGA Tour is doomed without Tiger, which is ridiculous. In fact, I believe what the PGA Tour needs is exactly what happened today... another superstar to break through. Tiger won't be missed if these young guns continue to play like this. In fact, what happened today could very well be a talking point for PGA broadcasts for decades to come... a changing of the guard, with an exclamation point.

Finding golf boring is a totally different issue... One that I can't help you with.

Understood, and I completely agree... The first argument is naive, the second comes from those with a "less than superb" taste in sports viewing. :wacko: My comment was directed at those who claim the PGA Tour is doomed without Tiger, which is ridiculous. In fact, I believe what the PGA Tour needs is exactly what happened today... another superstar to break through. Tiger won't be missed if these young guns continue to play like this. In fact, what happened today could very well be a talking point for PGA broadcasts for decades to come... a changing of the guard, with an exclamation point.

Finding golf boring is a totally different issue... One that I can't help you with.

You miss the point. I don't get bored with it. However, even with Phil in the mix, it's rather weak. Watching Billy Mayfair blow up is quite painful tv.

You miss the point. I don't get bored with it. However, even with Phil in the mix, it's rather weak. Watching Billy Mayfair blow up is quite painful tv.

Gotcha... I thought you were one of those people who just enjoy ripping on golf, for the sake of ripping on golf. My bad.

I do agree that McIroy's performance yesterday, although impressive, was not terribly exciting... The tournament was over with 3-4 holes left to play. But, how is that any different than Tiger shooting 20+ under par at the Masters some 13-14 years ago? Extremely exciting or climactic? Not really. Impressive? Very much so.

All I'm saying is that there is an extremely bright future for he PGA Tour, with or without Tiger. People have been asking for years who is going to finally step up and give Tiger some competition. Phil, Vijay, Furyk, Harrington, Els, Goosen... they've all had their moments in the sun, but none of them have done it consistently. Sergio was supposed to be that guy, but that was asking a lot... for a teenager to take down the best that has ever played the game, when Tiger was truly in his prime. Sergio had no chance at doing what was expected of him, from day one. So, ironically, this year, when Tiger has everything going wrong for him off the golf course, young superstars are actually starting to play like people expected Sergio to play, ten years ago.

It's too early to tell if Ryo, Rory, Kim, or anybody else will be able to do it consistently or not... or, more to the point, whether they'll be able to win with Tiger playing at his best. But, so far, they've done a far better job of meeting expectations than Sergio did when he was their age. Like I said, though, I think everyone was expecting a little too much of the Spaniard, given how Tiger was playing at that time. Still, watching these young guys win tournaments (and they're winning some pretty tough tournaments... not majors, but the next best thing, basically) is impressive.

As far as the excitement factor goes, for every tournament like there was this weekend (with no last hole drama), there are 2-3 with great endings. Personally, I could care less if it's a 20-year-old phenom, or a 46-year-old has been like Mayfair... Watching good golf is watching good golf. Plus, to me, some of the best stories on the PGA tour have to do with guys making comebacks to win... Stricker, Kelly, Jason Bohn last week, etc. I realize that I'm very much in the minority, in that sense (most casual golf fans don't watch it closely enough to know Jason Bohn, for example), but with the up and coming young stars, I think there's enough of both to keep golf interesting for every type of fan.

Gotcha... I thought you were one of those people who just enjoy ripping on golf, for the sake of ripping on golf. My bad.

I do agree that McIroy's performance yesterday, although impressive, was not terribly exciting... The tournament was over with 3-4 holes left to play. But, how is that any different than Tiger shooting 20+ under par at the Masters some 13-14 years ago? Extremely exciting or climactic? Not really. Impressive? Very much so.

All I'm saying is that there is an extremely bright future for he PGA Tour, with or without Tiger. People have been asking for years who is going to finally step up and give Tiger some competition. Phil, Vijay, Furyk, Harrington, Els, Goosen... they've all had their moments in the sun, but none of them have done it consistently. Sergio was supposed to be that guy, but that was asking a lot... for a teenager to take down the best that has ever played the game, when Tiger was truly in his prime. Sergio had no chance at doing what was expected of him, from day one. So, ironically, this year, when Tiger has everything going wrong for him off the golf course, young superstars are actually starting to play like people expected Sergio to play, ten years ago.

It's too early to tell if Ryo, Rory, Kim, or anybody else will be able to do it consistently or not... or, more to the point, whether they'll be able to win with Tiger playing at his best. But, so far, they've done a far better job of meeting expectations than Sergio did when he was their age. Like I said, though, I think everyone was expecting a little too much of the Spaniard, given how Tiger was playing at that time. Still, watching these young guys win tournaments (and they're winning some pretty tough tournaments... not majors, but the next best thing, basically) is impressive.

As far as the excitement factor goes, for every tournament like there was this weekend (with no last hole drama), there are 2-3 with great endings. Personally, I could care less if it's a 20-year-old phenom, or a 46-year-old has been like Mayfair... Watching good golf is watching good golf. Plus, to me, some of the best stories on the PGA tour have to do with guys making comebacks to win... Stricker, Kelly, Jason Bohn last week, etc. I realize that I'm very much in the minority, in that sense (most casual golf fans don't watch it closely enough to know Jason Bohn, for example), but with the up and coming young stars, I think there's enough of both to keep golf interesting for every type of fan.

On the money, as usual. Well said.