[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Draft Boards/Draft Parties

Infinity

I wasn't sure of the proper place to post this thread, however I am starting up a local league and I'm debating whether or not to invest in one of these draft boards I've seen online for our draft party. Been playing FF for 6-7 years now and I've never once been to a draft party, nevertheless hosted one.

See Link for what I'm talking about: http://www.fjfantasy.com/

It comes with i suppose labels for all the players and then the big draft board. I noticed that this site isn't a re-usable board, I'm not sure if there are better sites with re-usable ones.

Just looking for advice on this. What's your experience with these draft boards? Recommend them? Yay or nay?

Also what else should i get to have a kick-ass draft party?

Thanks in advance

-Infinity

We've used the "one-time" use draft boards (about $30 or so) for the past 4-5 years. I looked into the reusable ones, but they seemed too expensive for my liking. I've been playing around with the FanDraft software (also around $30 or so), which I think is pretty cool. Plus, with a laptop & monitor cable it can be hooked up to your flat screen tv (as long as it has a monitor port).

You can always just get a couple of poster boards & some colored markers & make your own, too.

Just my :wacko: .

Edited by buddahj

We've used the "one-time" use draft boards (about $30 or so) for the past 4-5 years. I looked into the reusable ones, but they seemed too expensive for my liking. I've been playing around with the FanDraft software (also around $30 or so), which I think is pretty cool. Plus, with a laptop & monitor cable it can be hooked up to your flat screen tv (as long as it has a monitor port).

You can always just get a couple of poster boards & some colored markers & make your own, too.

Just my :wacko: .

Do you get your 1 time use boards from that site i posted above?

For local stuff, I;ve done the ole posterboard and markers routine which works fine, but, admittedly, the draftboards, such as used at WCOFF, are a much nicer touch, and for $30-40 are worth it in my opinion.

In college, we were always fortunate enough to have some coeds willing to fill in the draft board for us, get drinks, etc., but wives/girlfriends work just as well. At WCOFF, there is hired help to do this.

Other than that, grub and beverages.

I wasn't sure of the proper place to post this thread, however I am starting up a local league and I'm debating whether or not to invest in one of these draft boards I've seen online for our draft party. Been playing FF for 6-7 years now and I've never once been to a draft party, nevertheless hosted one.

See Link for what I'm talking about: http://www.fjfantasy.com/

It comes with i suppose labels for all the players and then the big draft board. I noticed that this site isn't a re-usable board, I'm not sure if there are better sites with re-usable ones.

Just looking for advice on this. What's your experience with these draft boards? Recommend them? Yay or nay?

Thanks in advance

-Infinity

Those are the boards that WCOFF uses for their drafts. They're fine.

As for the draft party, make sure you have enough beer (to get your opponents drunk enough to draft turds) and food. I always like having the TV on to watch ESPN, some pre-season games, etc.

Those are the boards that WCOFF uses for their drafts. They're fine.

As for the draft party, make sure you have enough beer (to get your opponents drunk enough to draft turds) and food. I always like having the TV on to watch ESPN, some pre-season games, etc.

Awesome guys, thanks again for the help

If you want to really impress your owners go to fandraft.com and get their draft board. I used it last year and everyone at my draft loved it. Its also , IMO , alot easier than those board that you have to stick labels on. It actually broadcasts from your computer through your tv with a hdmi cable.

Also I forgot to say that they have a free download to try it out and see what you think about it.

Edited by HutOne

I bought a 8 foot by 4 foot piece of thrifty tile board at home depot for 10 bucks

Borrowed 2 heavy duty easels from work

Laid out a grid with sharpies

Wrote in the names with expo markers

Took a photo and erased it at the end, tossed it in my basement and re-use it every year since

I bought a 8 foot by 4 foot piece of thrifty tile board at home depot for 10 bucks

Took a photo and erased it at the end, tossed it in my basement and re-use it every year since

As much as I like to be a handy man, I think I'd rather leave this to the pros and order a draft board. One less thing I have to do on draft day

The draft boards are well worth the extra money. The color coded labels also make it way easier to track team needs during the draft. We had a 12 team league and managed to always empty the keg. With a generous supply of refreshments you should be able to make some late round steals. :wacko:

started a local with some friends 2 years ago. We make one outta poster board and hang it on the wall. His wife stands on a chair and writes picks in with a sharpie. Works fine and provides entertainment watching her try to spell some of the players' names. :tup:

watch out, that is how Scooby got started. :tup: Now look at her...if she could just turn those regular season wins into a playoff win she might win some coin now and then; except of course the teams she splits with me, we have not had a team in any season where we didn't make the playoffs, if not win. Look out jinx jinx jinx :wacko:

We use the boards from fjfantasysports.com every year, and we love them. Theyre also easy to store and we break the old ones out every year and laugh at all the horrible picks from years past. This year we are switching to an auction format, so we will be trying out the new boards from FJ as well.

Every year, the bottom 3 teams pay for all the food at the draft, so we usually go to a bar (with a private room), have our draft, and enjoy free food (unless youre one of the losers). Its Christmas in August every year!

This is what we did. Had a g/f or wife write in the picks as they were made. Worked just fine.

I think it would suck to be in the bottom 3 in your league,lol. Although this would probably keep the interest up for those not in the playoff hunt as they would be trying to not pay the food bill. :wacko: In our league we charged a buck for every transaction, this was usually enough for the keg and burgers or pizza.

We thought about using one a few years but decided against it. There are owners who don't follow the draft as closely as others and a big draft with what everyone has and more importantly what everyone needs is just what the guy who's running his mouth or 6 beers deep needs to get him up to speed after he's talked non-stop through your 4th and 5th round pick.

IMO draft boards aren't worth the $ esp if you have to keep going up there to write in your pick (I know some come with name "cards") - is FFLM still around? You can use their draft software for free if so - announces the players names and everything and you can project on the wall or some such, which IMO is easier and better than a board.

Edited by BeeR

IMO draft boards aren't worth the $ esp if you have to keep going up there to write in your pick (I know some come with name "cards") - is FFLM still around? You can use their draft software for free if so - announces the players names and everything and you can project on the wall or some such, which IMO is easier and better than a board.

Eh, I think it's a cool investment. I'm either going Homemade or just going to buy one, and if i make my own i'll see if i can just find good labels online somewhere.

Thanks for everything guys

We tried the software a couple years back, and didn't enjoy it at all. It was easy to set up, and we did have a projection on the wall, which was nice, but it just didn't have the same feeling of walking up to the big board and putting on the sticker of your new fantasy stud (or dud). The cost of the board works out to about $5 a team, so if you haven't used one yet, I suggest you DEFINITELY try it out. The colour coded stickers (by player position), make it really easy to track every owner's picks and needs.

To clarify about our league's draft day setup, the bottom 3 teams pay for the food at the draft, and we do a draft lottery so the team that finishes 10th, has more chances at picking #1 than the 11th or 12th place teams. Buying the food keeps teams from totally tanking to get that top spot, and by having a weighted lottery, it pretty much guarantees teams won't lose on purpose for a better shot next year.

Go buy a board! We've used FJ Fantasy every year, and their customer service is top notch.

We tried the software a couple years back, and didn't enjoy it at all. It was easy to set up, and we did have a projection on the wall, which was nice, but it just didn't have the same feeling of walking up to the big board and putting on the sticker of your new fantasy stud (or dud). The cost of the board works out to about $5 a team, so if you haven't used one yet, I suggest you DEFINITELY try it out. The colour coded stickers (by player position), make it really easy to track every owner's picks and needs.

To clarify about our league's draft day setup, the bottom 3 teams pay for the food at the draft, and we do a draft lottery so the team that finishes 10th, has more chances at picking #1 than the 11th or 12th place teams. Buying the food keeps teams from totally tanking to get that top spot, and by having a weighted lottery, it pretty much guarantees teams won't lose on purpose for a better shot next year.

Go buy a board! We've used FJ Fantasy every year, and their customer service is top notch.

If i had any doubt, you just removed it from my mind. FJ will be making money from me starting this season

Eh, I think it's a cool investment. I'm either going Homemade or just going to buy one, and if i make my own i'll see if i can just find good labels online somewhere.

Yeah I'm not saying I can't see the appeal. I'm just cheap. :wacko:

Along the same lines as BeeR (using projection screen and being cheap), we use a buddy's boardroom every year. a lage projection works really well for our auction league since we track picks and bidding dollars remaining. But for the local redraft leagues I'm thinking there's something about that white board that adds to the experience....ever since I saw Rich Eisen taunting 10-year old kids on the white board last year I've been hooked.