[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

World Cup 2010

alexgaddis

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NBA has no diving rules and do call technicals on that.

+1001 ... that would REVOLUTIONIZE the excitement and watchability of the world cup!! Take away the flopping and the vuvuzelas and this could be interesting if nothing else were on.

I'm very used to friends and others making fun of it. But after a certain point, when one keeps jumping into a thread devoted to the World Cup, I begin to wonder if a soccer player didn't either steal his woman or sleep with his mother...while his father filmed it.

That would assume these soccer players like women - big assumption - just kidding - these dudes actually pull tons of hot chicks.

again, I get it, no one is allowed to make fun of soccer in untas universe - you like soccer, I get it. good gawd u guys are sensitive.

The first 10 times or so, it's a bit funny. After a certain point, it becomes tedious.

again, I get it, no one is allowed to make fun of soccer in untas universe - you like soccer, I get it. good gawd u guys are sensitive.

That is why it is fun - our HDQ is in Switzerland and those dudes made fun of american football and I locked myself in my hotel room and cried so I know what these guys feel like.

I'm very used to friends and others making fun of it. But after a certain point, when one keeps jumping into a thread devoted to the World Cup, I begin to wonder if a soccer player didn't either steal his woman or sleep with his mother...while his father filmed it.

hey, I get it, if I was 5'7 145 I would played soccer too Unta- I feel ya

this coming from a Tim Tebow nut hugger that hijacked college footbal threads with sack swinging Tebos posts all the time

a thread devoted the the cup :wacko: ok, whatever dude -

clip the fn string already.

You pass that last one and Spain wins. Not sure he saw the dude??

seriously--there have been three opportunities (2 for Spain and 1 for Holland) where if the player who shot had decided to pass instead, their team would have scored

seriously--there have been three opportunities (2 for Spain and 1 for Holland) where if the player who shot had decided to pass instead, their team would have scored

Agree - it seems like most scoring chances result in nothing mainly dude to the guy with the ball waiting to long to either shoot or pass.

After a pretty exciting tournament, that finals game was a serious dud. Spain deserved the win.....they were the better team and weren't trying to resort to thuggery on every loose ball. I swear I saw the Hansen brothers wearing orange today! That said, this Spain team reminded me of the late 90's New Jersey Devils. Boring, lock it up defense, play keep away, then win by a close margin.

Disclaimer: This is simply the opinion of a casual soccer fan (I don't claim to know much, but I have watched a pretty good portion of this Cup)....

Looked to me like the better team won today. Very physical game, with lots of flopping, but also lots of contact both ways. Of the two teams, though, I thought it was pretty obvious that the Netherlands had to rely on more clutching/grabbing/holding than Spain did, to keep themselves in the game. There were some questionable calls both ways, as well as some major missed opportunities by both sides. Holland did what they had to do to negate the disadvantage in talent, which was to try and get away with as much clutching and holding as they could. It was very effective... almost got them into a shootout, where anything can happen. But, again, I think the outcome was just, as Spain is clearly the superior of the two teams.

All of that said... Man, that Robben dude for Holland is FAST. :wacko: I just thought that Spain's overall talent was far better... Holland had a couple of very good players, while Spain was more balanced, it seemed (and, again, this is coming from someone who hasn't watched a minute of soccer in the past three years, outside of this World Cup).

hey, I get it, if I was 5'7 145 I would played soccer too Unta- I feel ya

this coming from a Tim Tebow nut hugger that hijacked college footbal threads with sack swinging Tebos posts all the time

a thread devoted the the cup :wacko: ok, whatever dude -

clip the fn string already.

I'm 5' 9" and 150 lbs.

Why so defensive?

I actually thought the orange were getting the better of the play for most of the game, but it still felt like spain deserved it. arjen robben is fantastic with the ball. I think that was more flopping than any game I saw this world cup. kind of a bad showcase for the sport in its biggest game (which matters some in the US, but maybe not anywhere else). but at least it didn't get to penalty kicks.

one thing I was hoping someone could explain to me. there was a point where holland had a free kick way back on their own side of the field. they kicked it, with a bounce, so that it was almost on goal, and casillas (the spanish goalie) tipped it and it went out for a corner kick. and then he looked extremely pissed off. and then holland, instead of trying to do anything with the corner, just apologetically rolled it over to casillas. what the hell was that all about?

I actually thought the orange were getting the better of the play for most of the game, but it still felt like spain deserved it. arjen robben is fantastic with the ball. I think that was more flopping than any game I saw this world cup. kind of a bad showcase for the sport in its biggest game (which matters some in the US, but maybe not anywhere else). but at least it didn't get to penalty kicks.

one thing I was hoping someone could explain to me. there was a point where holland had a free kick way back on their own side of the field. they kicked it, with a bounce, so that it was almost on goal, and casillas (the spanish goalie) tipped it and it went out for a corner kick. and then he looked extremely pissed off. and then holland, instead of trying to do anything with the corner, just apologetically rolled it over to casillas. what the hell was that all about?

It was actually a "courtesy" kick back to the opposing team since Spain deliberately kicked the ball out of bounds due to an injured player. I think the Spanish goalie got annoyed because he thought the guy was trying to take a shot or something. Not sure why he'd be pissed since he's the dumbass that misjudged the bounce.

The corner kick to the goalie was a continuation of the courtesy.

It was actually a "courtesy" kick back to the opposing team since Spain deliberately kicked the ball out of bounds due to an injured player. I think the Spanish goalie got annoyed because he thought the guy was trying to take a shot or something. Not sure why he'd be pissed since he's the dumbass that misjudged the bounce.

The corner kick to the goalie was a continuation of the courtesy.

yep. What he said.

After watching a lot of this world cup - this sport has WAY too much ghey to it. Also convinced these guys are not that athletic - way behind american football, basketball, hockey, and baseball. Will put rugby and aussie football ahead of these guys for athleticism.

i'm curious to know why you think this. if i was a newcomer to american football, i'd ask why players don't play both offense and defense. what kind of sport lets you spend half the game resting? basketball and hockey have unlimited substitutions, and almost no one plays an entire game without some time on the bench. knowing that the majority of soccer players spend 90 minutes running with very few breaks, and seeing the physical nature of the sport (minus the flopping), i simply can't understand how anyone could say these guys are just average athletes.