[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

World Cup 2010

alexgaddis

i'm curious to know why you think this. if i was a newcomer to american football, i'd ask why players don't play both offense and defense. what kind of sport lets you spend half the game resting? basketball and hockey have unlimited substitutions, and almost no one plays an entire game without some time on the bench. knowing that the majority of soccer players spend 90 minutes running with very few breaks, and seeing the physical nature of the sport (minus the flopping), i simply can't understand how anyone could say these guys are just average athletes.

This.

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm curious to know why you think this. if i was a newcomer to american football, i'd ask why players don't play both offense and defense. what kind of sport lets you spend half the game resting? basketball and hockey have unlimited substitutions, and almost no one plays an entire game without some time on the bench. knowing that the majority of soccer players spend 90 minutes running with very few breaks, and seeing the physical nature of the sport (minus the flopping), i simply can't understand how anyone could say these guys are just average athletes.

Well let's see here.

1. FLOPPING - they fall to the ground screaming grabbing the ankle or knoee and replays show they were barely touched - they flop around the ground like a fish and then are back up and running in 2 minutes

2. Goalies - Try to make every save look spectacular - save the ball and be ready for the rebound.

3. Too defensive - it seems like teams play not to lose as opposed to play to win

4. Spain scored what 8 goals the entire tournament? Yea some will say it is just defense but that would be like an NBA team going through the playoffs scoring less than 50 points on average

5. It did not happen but almost went to penalty kicks - to play 30 minutes of overtime and then decide a huge game with penalty kicks is stupid

6. To only have the referee have the clock so nobody really knows how much time is really left - stupid

7. Two yellow cards and you are out of the game and out of the next game (earlier in tourney) some of those yellow cards are not even deserving.

8. Maybe the game is so difficult and so fast but these guys often missed shots by 25 yards or more - they whiffed on tons of kicks and a lot of scoring chances not even ended up with a shot on goal

9. Goalies seem to scream and yell at own team anytime there is a good scoring chance (granted that does not happen often) - they just seem to want to be like real players but are just goalies.

10. Maybe the biggest annoyance is the fans of soccer that whine when someone rips on soccer. :wacko:

Just my top 10. There are things I like about soccer but the things I mention above kept annoying me as I tried to watch all these games - I would say teh flopping, the yellow cards, and the theatrics by the goalies were the most annoying to me.

Well let's see here.

1. FLOPPING - they fall to the ground screaming grabbing the ankle or knoee and replays show they were barely touched - they flop around the ground like a fish and then are back up and running in 2 minutes

2. Goalies - Try to make every save look spectacular - save the ball and be ready for the rebound.

3. Too defensive - it seems like teams play not to lose as opposed to play to win

4. Spain scored what 8 goals the entire tournament? Yea some will say it is just defense but that would be like an NBA team going through the playoffs scoring less than 50 points on average

5. It did not happen but almost went to penalty kicks - to play 30 minutes of overtime and then decide a huge game with penalty kicks is stupid

6. To only have the referee have the clock so nobody really knows how much time is really left - stupid

7. Two yellow cards and you are out of the game and out of the next game (earlier in tourney) some of those yellow cards are not even deserving.

8. Maybe the game is so difficult and so fast but these guys often missed shots by 25 yards or more - they whiffed on tons of kicks and a lot of scoring chances not even ended up with a shot on goal

9. Goalies seem to scream and yell at own team anytime there is a good scoring chance (granted that does not happen often) - they just seem to want to be like real players but are just goalies.

10. Maybe the biggest annoyance is the fans of soccer that whine when someone rips on soccer. :wacko:

Just my top 10. There are things I like about soccer but the things I mention above kept annoying me as I tried to watch all these games - I would say teh flopping, the yellow cards, and the theatrics by the goalies were the most annoying to me.

No offense, but I don't agree with you at all.

Well let's see here.

I think all soccer fans dislike the flopping and I wish the punishment for this was worse (or more strictly enforced).

Disagree here. I've played keeper. You can't imagine how fast those shots come in.

This is more typical in the initial rounds of the cup.

Agree here.

I don't care either way.

I like this rule. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

Scoring in soccer seems easy...until you play the game. After all, that goal is 8 yards wide and 8 feet high.

You don't seem to like keepers.

The first few times it can be humorous. After awhile, it becomes tedious.