[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NBA Finals ... my money is on

Scooby's Hubby

Well, growing up I was a huge Kareem and Magic fan, praised the fast break, loved the Lakers and Michael Cooper's socks, always counted on the Byron Scott 3 shot and thaught Big Game James picked up where McAdoo left off and got better with age. Kurt Rambis, need I say more? My older brother was the opposite and felt the same about the Celtics. The rivalry was great. Fast Forward from the golden age of basketball to today...

...I put my money on the Celtics this year. I couldn't resist the one guy in our golf group who insisted the Lakers were unbeatable. The bet is low enough (barely) to stay friendly yet big enough to make me watch the series. Go Celtics

Game one is through three quarters and I am more convinced than I ever have been that the referees have their hands in something bad. I have no real rooting interest but there have been 4-5 absolute phantom calls, all against the Celtics. The Pierce loose-ball foul was shortly followed by Ray Allen's 5th foul. Ray Allen stood there and let Kobe score on him to make sure he didn't foul him, and managed to get called for a foul without coming within six inches of the guy. 'Sheed is gonna hurt somebody.

You know Phil whines about the refs as much as Cuban...I wish they would call less fouls.. Game one went as I expected. With the next game not until Sunday, home advantage may be wasted. Boston can get out of LA with a win in game two if they can make some mid range jumpers.

Boston can't play much worse than they did last night, and I'm not sure L.A. will play any better. That said, if Boston doesn't stop the penetration by Kobe, Fisher, and the L.A. bench guards, it's going to be a quick series. Everybody knows Tony Allen isn't going to make jump shots. If he doesn't defend well, either, there's really no reason to put him in the game. Of course, last night, they had no choice, since Ray Allen was picking up a foul every three minutes. The guard penetration led to layup after layup for Gasol and Bynum, not to mention that the Celtics couldn't get a body on them to block out. If there is one glaring reason they lost, it's that they were killed on the boards, plain and simple. That starts with the guards getting in the lane... something that didn't happen two years ago.

Not sure if it's just because he's two years older and playing with bad knees or what, but that's the worst I've seen KG play in a long time. He made jump shots, sure... but he gave Boston basically zero inside presence in last night's game. Did Boston even attempt to put a body on Gasol? Why give the guy the inside position, when he obviously lacks an outside game (or at least chooses not to use it). Make the guy shoot a jump shot... Did Gasol score from outside of five feet last night? Not that I remember, other than from the FT line. :wacko:

The refs were pretty bad last night, but that's going to happen when Kobe is on the court. Phantom calls when he takes/forces a bad shot... it's been happening for years. Still, I'm not sure that was enough to change the outcome of the game... Boston just failed to show up with the same attitude that they had in the previous two series. Maybe now they'll realize that this isn't just going to be a gimme series, based on the fact that they walked through L.A. two years ago. If the Celtics can take Game 2, I still think they'll win the series. If not, I think their run is over. Either way, they've done well to get to this point (although I'm sure they will be disappointed with anything less than winning it all).

Well, growing up I was a huge Kareem and Magic fan, praised the fast break, loved the Lakers and Michael Cooper's socks, always counted on the Byron Scott 3 shot and thaught Big Game James picked up where McAdoo left off and got better with age. Kurt Rambis, need I say more? My older brother was the opposite and felt the same about the Celtics. The rivalry was great. Fast Forward from the golden age of basketball to today...

...I put my money on the Celtics this year. I couldn't resist the one guy in our golf group who insisted the Lakers were unbeatable. The bet is low enough (barely) to stay friendly yet big enough to make me watch the series. Go Celtics

Oh Good Times, me and my brother were the exact same way with me going for the Celts, Larry Bird :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...
LAL in 6

Lakers are too versatile and too long up front and the C's have no answer to Pau and Kobe

Mamba is a stone killer and he ain't letting this one slip

another wildcat miscue LOL...Celtics are in the driver's seat, they will play hard in game 6 but you know this is going to seven. Either way, I think I am getting my $100 bux worth. I am almost to the point where supersticion kicks in and I do the "they only score when I don't watch" bologne.

it feels so good to see Kobe lose like this...especially sine he spends half the game complaining...

people try to tout him as this generation's Michael Jordan and Jordan wouldn't have handled last night's game the way Kobe did...nor would Jordan have been outmuscled for the ball on a rebound the way Kobe was....

one more win for the Celtics - a team that I hate, but not as much as the Lakers...

I just hope we don't get another "ANYTHINGSSSS POSSIBBBLLEEEE" moment :wacko:

Edited by Avernus

it feels so good to see Kobe lose like this...especially sine he spends half the game complaining...

people try to tout him as this generation's Michael Jordan and Jordan wouldn't have handled last night's game the way Kobe did...nor would Jordan have been outmuscled for the ball on a rebound the way Kobe was....

one more win for the Celtics - a team that I hate, but not as much as the Lakers...

I just hope we don't get another "ANYTHINGSSSS POSSIBBBLLEEEE" moment :wacko:

+1 million

I'm so tired of him having that look on his face every time something doesn't go his way... It's like he's thinking "Ref, I just got out-muscled for the ball, aren't you going to call a foul, since I should have been able to get that ball?" Pathetic. I'm not even close to a Boston fan, but I've always liked KG... I know he has his "moments" as well (I think all of the stars do, to a certain extent), but I can't help but admire his work ethic and attitude, for the most part. Most importantly, he's got a genuine desire to win, even if it means him being in the background, and not the #1 guy. That's something Kobe clearly doesn't get... He may say that winning is the most important thing, but when it comes right down to it, his actions show that he's got to be the guy, even if it means they lose. Of course, you can look at that both ways... the other way of looking at it would be to say that he HAS to be the guy, since his teammates haven't earned his confidence that any one of them can get it done in crunch time.

That's what I admire about Boston... Pierce and Perkins can whine too much at times, and I think Ray Allen flops too much, but when it comes right down to it, they play great defense and even better TEAM offense. Find the open man and get a good shot, rather than one guy forcing something and hoping the refs bail him out (and then bitching when they don't). Boston seems to be greater than the sum of its individual parts, while L.A. has been the exact opposite.

On a sidenote, how many dunks have we seen in this series? Not many that I can recall. It's amazing how things change in the NBA when the games really matter, which is why I'm not a big fan of the NBA regular season. When the games count, there is no such thing as a free possession or easy basket. The playoffs is a whole different story, and I've enjoyed watching this series more than any that I can recall in recent history. Two very good teams (albeit with completely different styles/strengths), both playing solid D and making clutch shots... basically a battle of wills, so to speak. The difference, so far, is that the Celtics have had a different hero in every game that they've won, while LA has basically relied on Kobe by himself, with a few others (Gasol, Odom, Farmar) having a nice moment here and there, but nothing even close to consistent "championship-level" play.

Boston needs to treat Game 6 as though it's an elimination game for them. Not saying they can't win a Game 7 in LA (after all, I'm not sure there is a more "tame" crowd in the NBA, so home court advantage in LA only means so much), but I don't think it would be in the Celtics' best interest to let the Lakers regain the momentum at this point. I'm guessing that whoever wins Game 6 wins the series... but my opinion could change if Boston loses Game 6. :tup: I think they've got enough experience and poise to get it done... They want nothing to do with a Game 7 against Kobe, in LA, and will be determined to close it out tomorrow night.

One more thing... I'm definitely not a fan of the officiating in this series, for a couple of reasons. The first is that I think it has been horribly inconsistent. Too many flops being rewarded, but I guess that's something that we just have to live with... it's obviously not as easy to identify a flop in real game speed, as it is to see it on a replay. But, the other part that I find inconsistent is just how they're calling the games... If you're going to "let them play" (in other words, not call the ticky-tack fouls), do it throughout the entire series, and not just 80% of the time. For the most part, I'm in favor of physical basketball, and I think the refs have done of good job of letting that go. But, how can you allow hand-checks for 80-90% of the game, and then call weak touch fouls for the other 10%? I don't get that. Either call them all (at which point the players will adjust when they realize that they'll foul out if they don't), or don't call any fouls of the "touch" variety. If you're going to call a foul where the defender brushes the shooters elbow as he releases the ball, call that EVERY time, and not just when Kobe turns and cries about it. I could go on and on... I just think it's been very inconsistent, at best. And, it's not like it can be explained because there are different refs in different games... a lot of the inconsistency has been WITHIN the same game.

Secondly, there have been some absolutely BRUTAL calls, where I honestly had to question what the refs were thinking when they made the call. The most obvious one to me was the 3 second call on Garnett (in Game 4, I believe)... four seconds into the shot clock! :wacko: That made me think "these refs are obviously going out of their way to look for something to call." Not good... that sort of stuff makes it appear as though the refs have a vested interest in who wins. I'm not saying the refs are on LA's side, necessarily... there have been terrible calls both ways. That just happened to be the one call that I thought was glaringly bad. Garnett didn't even have a CHANCE to be in the lane for 3 seconds when they made that call... unbelievable. It was the equivalent of calling a guy for travelling before he has a chance to catch the pass. :tup:

Lastly, I'm not a fan of the replay system that they currently have in place. No idea why they feel the need to replay who touched a ball last (before it goes out of bounds), but yet can not replay whether or not a ball touched the rim (on a potential shot clock violation). That makes ZERO sense to me. The Boston possible shot clock violation in last night's game was the PERFECT time to use replay. On the other hand, I'm not a fan of replaying every out-of-bounds call in the last two minutes, for this reason... If you were to watch every one of those plays (where Player A knocks the ball out of Player B's hands, and the ball goes out of bounds) in slow motion, for an entire game, I'm guessing that 50% of them (or more) would be overturned. In other words, this is sort of an unwritten rule in basketball... If Player A swipes at the ball, knocking it out of Player B's hands (and out of bounds), Player B's team is awarded the basketball. The exception to this would be if the ball first bounces off of Player B (somewhere other than his hands... knee, hip, face, shoulder, etc.). In those instances, it should obviously be awarded to Player A's team. Removing those exceptions (and just focusing on the ones where the ball goes from Player B's hands to out of bounds, due to Player A hitting the ball, it is very likely that the ball last touched Player B. Player A swipes at it, the force of his swipe knocks it out, but technically, the ball last touches Player B. That's the way basketball has always been called... it's not an NBA thing, it's the way the game has been played/called for decades.

So, by reviewing these calls, you're essentially changing the way those plays are called in the last 2 minutes of the game, in comparison to how they're called for the rest of the game. It would be the equivalent of reviewing double-plays in baseball, for the ninth inning only. There would be a lot of double plays getting overturned in the ninth inning only, based on the fielder missing the bag (or at least not touching it while the ball is in his possession), while the fielders would be given the benefit of the doubt on that call for the rest of the game. If you're going to accept that there is an unwritten rule (where players always get a certain call, unless it's of the blatant variety), don't set up a review system that goes completely against that rule, for a small segment of the game.

Edited by Gopher

awesome game 7, Lakers really took control and dismantled the Celts. Oh that didn't happen, they shot 20 FT's in the 4th? Brutual game.

NBA, I love this game.

Celts had every opportunity to win this game my man, I don't think any C's fan will blame the refs for that one. Refs were not great, but there missed calls on both sided and let's get real here - they did not determine the winner of the game. It was an ugly, intense game and neither team played well offensively. Not the most memorable finals ever played that is for sure

a ton of missed open shots - game 7 will do that to you.

Celts had every opportunity to win this game my man, I don't think any C's fan will blame the refs for that one. Refs were not great, but there missed calls on both sided and let's get real here - they did not determine the winner of the game. It was an ugly, intense game and neither team played well offensively. Not the most memorable finals ever played that is for sure

a ton of missed open shots - game 7 will do that to you.

yeah, you are right and I think i was stating most of the that, mainly how brutal the game was.

Admittedly only watch pieces of the game as I'm not a fan of either team. Just heard about the 20 FT's in the 4th qtr and it kind of rubbed me the wrong way. I probably would have preferred the Celts win because I kind of like Rondo and Sheed still a bit but the fact that Boston lost is a good thing.

I'm a huge Celtics fan and we can't pin this loss on the ref's in the least

It did get a little bad at points in the 3rd and 4th where I felt the Lakers benefited from no calls or got calls that didn't look right to me, but the same can be said of the C's during the 1st and 2nd where Kobe and Gasol got mugged several times and didn't get a call.

The truth of the matter is the C's had no legs to finish the game, the entire team was gassed, and I think even Doc must have been gassed, because he allowed the offense to devolve from called plays to called one on one isolation's with an exhausted Paul Pierce against a rejuvenated Ron Artest...bad coaching, bad execution.

The Lakers shot a lot of FTs in the 4th, but the C's put them on the line on purpose 8 of those times

Good series, below average reffing both ways on most games, I'll be sad to see this team dismantled, Danny Ainge has a HUGE challenge moving forward...we can't win next year with this core, so that means logically Ainge has to not resign Ray, hope Rasheed retires, not resign most of the bench guys, take a year where the C's aren't going to be as competitive, but then be big players in the FA market the next year when the garnett and pierce contracts come off the books

WD

• 1 month later...

The Golden Age of basketball was definitely different from what we have right now. The Lakers are still the team to beat next season and the new Big Three in Miami has all the pressure to come out on top. The LeBron move has now forced teams to really ramp up their rosters. This is gonna be a very interesting season.