[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

super-conferences

Cameltosis

This is branched off the Big 10 thread but I find it interesting enough to warant its own thread. Lets say that the Big 10 and Pac 10 start the ball rolling and eventually there are 4 or so super-conferences. Does this make it harder or easier for the playoff system to take shape? I would argue it would be easier to do a playoff in that scenario but a buddy of mine is not convinced. What say you?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is branched off the Big 10 thread but I find it interesting enough to warant its own thread. Lets say that the Big 10 and Pac 10 start the ball rolling and eventually there are 4 or so super-conferences. Does this make it harder or easier for the playoff system to take shape? I would argue it would be easier to do a playoff in that scenario but a buddy of mine is not convinced. What say you?

The only way you'll see a playoff is if the people that are currently making money, make even more money and no one else gets any. Then and only then will there be a playoff. The size of the conference has no impact on this decision, IMO.

Not in form, but probably in function: losing ANY game would probably knock you out of the Championship game. Getting 3 or more undefeateds would be that much harder and a loss late in the season probably does you in big time.

Playoff talk aside, this is crazy. Nebraska's all but gone from the Big-12, which essentially - as weird as it may sound to some - kills the Big-12. And the word is the remaining heavy hitters from the Big-12 will go to the Pac-10 (making them 16 teams). Assume they'd do a west and east division, with the 6 from the Big-12 being one conference (with Arizona and ASU), and the remaining 8 along the coast being the other division. Craaaaazyyyy...

Playoff talk aside, this is crazy. Nebraska's all but gone from the Big-12, which essentially - as weird as it may sound to some - kills the Big-12. And the word is the remaining heavy hitters from the Big-12 will go to the Pac-10 (making them 16 teams). Assume they'd do a west and east division, with the 6 from the Big-12 being one conference (with Arizona and ASU), and the remaining 8 along the coast being the other division. Craaaaazyyyy...

adding Texas and to an extent Oklahoma to the Pac 10 will make it The Power conference - period.

wow just a ton of quality programs umatched in any conference....... even by the mighty SEC

adding Texas and to an extent Oklahoma to the Pac 10 will make it The Power conference - period.

wow just a ton of quality programs umatched in any conference....... even by the mighty SEC

Agreed. It would be right there with the SEC and probably surpass it eventually.

I'm curious to see if indeed the Nebraska departure kills the Big 12, what proactive steps the SEC might take to keep them at the top.

I don't think they will just sit idle and watch the PAC and Big 10 make their power grab. I predict they will either go after Texas themselves to raid from the top of the ACC... which, in turn, would eventually kill that conference as well. Either way, the SEC will be a player and it will be hard for schools to ignore what they have to offer.

To be honest, if you are a Arizona or Arizona State fan you're sort of being kicked out of the PAC10. :wacko:

I think Nebraska knows that they cannot out recruit Texas or OU. With Michigan's violations, Nebraska's sees the Big 10 as a winnable conference. It won't be hard to out recruit Michigan. Texas and OU are too hard to compete with. Nebraska is just another so-so program trying to upgrade its image and money without actually winning any games. Ohio State has had an easy road lately and now Nebraska wants to try an easier conference. Personally, I take the departure as an admission from Nebraska that they will never win the Big 12 against TX and OU. The Big 10 is definately the lesser conference. What has Michigan done lately? Ohio State you say, they always have an easy schedule and their season ends too soon. Now these perennial 8-2 teams can play each other and act like it is a big deal.

I think Nebraska knows that they cannot out recruit Texas or OU. With Michigan's violations, Nebraska's sees the Big 10 as a winnable conference. It won't be hard to out recruit Michigan. Texas and OU are too hard to compete with. Nebraska is just another so-so program trying to upgrade its image and money without actually winning any games. Ohio State has had an easy road lately and now Nebraska wants to try an easier conference. Personally, I take the departure as an admission from Nebraska that they will never win the Big 12 against TX and OU. The Big 10 is definately the lesser conference. What has Michigan done lately? Ohio State you say, they always have an easy schedule and their season ends too soon. Now these perennial 8-2 teams can play each other and act like it is a big deal.

I think you completely missed the point of what is going on here. This move has very little if anything to do with football. This move is all about money for the Big Ten and Nebraska.

I also read a rumor last night that the Big Ten is getting set to invite Texas, Texas A&M, Notre Dame and Missouri to possibly move to 16 teams.

I think you completely missed the point of what is going on here. This move has very little if anything to do with football. This move is all about money for the Big Ten and Nebraska.

I also read a rumor last night that the Big Ten is getting set to invite Texas, Texas A&M, Notre Dame and Missouri to possibly move to 16 teams.

uh, no Texas ain't goin to the Big 10

it looks close to a done deal that Texas, OKlahoma, OSU, Tex A$M, Texas Tech and Colorado will be joining the Pac 10

you are pretty funny if you think decisions for the entire university have anything to do with just college football: you do realize the entire university will be moving to the big 10 not just the football team right? it's all about money, like everything else with college athletics. nebraska will make way more money in the big 10, and thats what it's all about.

To be honest, if you are a Arizona or Arizona State fan you're sort of being kicked out of the PAC10. :wacko:

well chit they were the new kids on the block anyway - making the jump from the old Border conference to the Pac 8

I love the move an a UA fan, change is good and I think the 2 division breakup would be cool

the new Pac 16, wow just wow it is gonna be brutal

:wacko:

Personally, I take the departure as an admission from Nebraska that they will never win the Big 12 against TX and OU.

You know, Nebraska hires the wrong coach and goes on a 6 year slide and everyone acts like they are crap. I don't get it. :wacko: You do realize that in the second year of our current coach we were within 1 second of winning the big 12 against (gasp) Texas? It was an ugly, low scoring game but to infer that they had "no chance" or could never win the Big 12 seems a far stretch. NU had crap play at QB and most of the offense for 85% of the year and still lost three games by 2 points or fewer. If NU goes to the Big Ten it is because the money, academics, and stability are better for them. Just like any school, you have to do what is best for your situation.

You know, Nebraska hires the wrong coach and goes on a 6 year slide and everyone acts like they are crap. I don't get it. :wacko: You do realize that in the second year of our current coach we were within 1 second of winning the big 12 against (gasp) Texas? It was an ugly, low scoring game but to infer that they had "no chance" or could never win the Big 12 seems a far stretch. NU had crap play at QB and most of the offense for 85% of the year and still lost three games by 2 points or fewer. If NU goes to the Big Ten it is because the money, academics, and stability are better for them. Just like any school, you have to do what is best for your situation.

who knows. people are morons :tup: nebraska= :tup:

To say that Nebraska knows it can't win the Big 12 not 7 months after they lost the Big 12 by ONE point is really pretty ignorant of the facts on the ground. :tup:

:wacko:

thank you for understanding my sarcasm...you may have been the only one...I wish college football was not about the money. Texas in the Pac-16? You know A&M are going with them. Whatever happened to logistics and recruiting? Now Texas is going to have to travel all the way to the west coast every other week. At least the Big 10 or 12 or whatever now got it right when they added Nebraska

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

To say that Nebraska knows it can't win the Big 12 not 7 months after they lost the Big 12 by ONE point is really pretty ignorant of the facts on the ground. :wacko:

and no, Nebraska would never play for the conference championship if they were in the Big 12 South. The North was a breeze compared to the South. So Neb had one good year since Osborn left so long ago. Big Woo, they have never been a threat to win a championship, only play spoiler.

thank you for understanding my sarcasm...you may have been the only one...I wish college football was not about the money. Texas in the Pac-16? You know A&M are going with them. Whatever happened to logistics and recruiting? Now Texas is going to have to travel all the way to the west coast every other week. At least the Big 10 or 12 or whatever now got it right when they added Nebraska

With the 2 divisions, the football team would play all their division opponents once, so 7 games there not on the west coast, and teams usually play 8 conference teams, maybe more with a 16-team conference so that would be 1-3 max on the west coast teams (3 would allow just 2 non conference games in a 12-game schedule (that is the max allowed in most circumstances). With that, it would be 1-2 max games on the west coast since those would not all be road games.