[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Your favorite "chain" BBQ

rajncajn

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:wacko: Some of the worst I've ever had. Unfortunately the DFW area doesn't represent the state well in bbq places. But Red Hot & Blue is here and of the chains is probably my favorite.

The one in Tyler has pretty good smoked chicken, their brisket leaves a lot to be desired. I've never tried their ribs. It is actually the only chain type bbq joint in town. There are a dozen other places within a 30 mile radius that are much better, but are not chains. If you really want good bbq, you shouldn't be going to chains anyway. Either find a hole int he wall, or do it yourself.

Many times. I like their spicy sauce and their meats are fine. Austin has some great bbq so I imagine you don't eat at chains much. Here's a good website for Texas bbq joints. I disagree with him on some places, but he does find some hole in the wall places that are really good.

One of many things I absolutely adore about this city. Not only with BBQ joints, but we hardly eat at ANY chain, regardless of type of food. I have all but swore off chain pizza. There's just no reason to spend good money on crap.

Anyways, about Rudy's: yeah, their sauce is pretty good. Their brisket is real good, and have to admit, I think the turkey is my favorite of their meats. Frickin' butta'!

now if we're going to bring in those Brazilian places, nothing beats Fogo de Chao

OMFG. It ain't BBQ but there ain't nothing like the meat sweats.

:tup: Ha, yankees LOL. there is no such thing as a good bbq chain

:wacko: Said the fool who thinks "BBQ" means "beef." What you mean is there's no such thing as a good bbq chain in Texas. Which just states the obvious anyway.

:tup:

FYI, Smithfields is good stuff.

May I just point out that chains are often just really successful restaurants? There are plenty of family-owned places that are totally forgettable.

ETA: Smokey Bones scratches the itch here in Lansing, but I will drive the almost-hour to get to Famous Dave's in Flint or Novi. That's the best BBQ I'm aware of around here.

Peace

Ty

Edited by policyvote

Them's fightin' words...

:tup: you know I speak in cliches and I speak mainly in Rib-speak...like I said BBQ is so regional. I pretty much like BBQ everywhere, except Beall Street Memphis. It had too much dry rub (and I prefer dry rub). It was like it had alot of sugar in it and it burned.

:wacko: Said the fool who thinks "BBQ" means "beef." What you mean is there's no such thing as a good bbq chain in Texas. Which just states the obvious anyway.

:lol:

You know what the Bible says about calling a stranger a fool? :tup: But you were right in regards that I am thinking of only beef and ribs in particular. Chicken and sausage are like scrambled eggs...you can only screw them up if you burn them. Therefore, I tend to rate the food items that are difficult. I do think chicken is just as tasty, especially when my father in law smokes them (south texas mesquite).

But like I say BBQ is regional, even in Texas. Probably initially due to available wood and technique, then seasoning and lstly sauce (sauce btw is outlawed and not served in South Texas).

I did notice noone challenged my Mexican food claim, as for all Mexican food chains are horrible. (my new cliche)

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

:tup:

...but yeah, you are right there, too; my critique is high being from Texas. I am just a mom&pop kinda eater. My biggest fear is the chain and the extinction of the mom&pop.

We always hit Bubba's BBQ when were in the Outer Banks......very good stuff. Also, the owner is a Skins fan and has some cool shots of him doing some catering for the franchise, shots with the former owner and some of the older players as well.

• 2 years later...