[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The best BBQ joint in your area

rajncajn

:tup: Maybe I'll get some suggestions that just happen to be where I travel.

Here it's the Shed BBQ & Blues Joint.

Dusty's Near Emory University in Atlanta. As close to NC BBQ as you can get outside of Lexington.

Holy, diaper dirt, I was gonna give you the link... It's closed :wacko:

Here's the link anyway, great stuff. http://www.yelp.com/biz/dustys-barbecue-restaurant-atlanta

:wacko: Maybe I'll get some suggestions that just happen to be where I travel.

Here it's the Shed BBQ & Blues Joint.

I've eaten at the one in Destin FL, it wasn't bad. Here the best two places are The Country Tavern (five presidents have had their ribs flown to the Whitehouse, and it has officially been recognized by the Texas State Legislature), and Pat Gee's. Pat's is my favorite of the two, as the Country Tavern has gone down hill quite a bit in the last few years.

Don't think you're coming to Milwaukee, but Speed Queen is usually regarded as the best....kind of a dicey neighborhood but not too bad if you're there during the day.

Otherwise, Saz's gets a lot of love too.

Midwestern BBQ - fall-off-the-bone pork in drenched in tangy BBQ sauce.

Dusty's Near Emory University in Atlanta. As close to NC BBQ as you can get outside of Lexington.

There's no such thing as "NC BBQ" FYI. ie western NC (Lexington etc) is very different than the vinegar-based eastern style.

Anyway in Richmond not sure, but FYI it sure as hell isn't "Extra Billys" (last place I had it there). Cardboard probably has more flavor.

In Raleigh reliable sources tell me it's "The Pit" but that Smithfields is a reliable backup.

Pappy's is by far the best in The Lou.

Twiley, we'll have to get together sometime when me and the gal are down there.

Pappy's is exactly what you want in a restaurant too. Last time I went, the owner sat down with me and the lady and talked with us for about 1/2 hour about how things are done, no real secrets revealed, and how to reheat the ribs I got to go that I was taking to my Pop. Top shelf establishment all around!

Twiley, we'll have to get together sometime when me and the gal are down there.

Pappy's is exactly what you want in a restaurant too. Last time I went, the owner sat down with me and the lady and talked with us for about 1/2 hour about how things are done, no real secrets revealed, and how to reheat the ribs I got to go that I was taking to my Pop. Top shelf establishment all around!

Yeah, from what I know and hear the owner is top notch. He frequents a food forum I go to quite a bit and always seems like a great guy.

Drop me a PM next time you're headed in and we can meet up.

There's no such thing as "NC BBQ" FYI. ie western NC (Lexington etc) is very different than the vinegar-based eastern style.

Anyway in Richmond not sure, but FYI it sure as hell isn't "Extra Billys" (last place I had it there). Cardboard probably has more flavor.

In Raleigh reliable sources tell me it's "The Pit" but that Smithfields is a reliable backup.

Lexington is vinegar based, as is Kepley's in High Point. The other stuff isn't BBQ, To me there is only 1 NC BBQ and that is Vinegar based.

Lexington style typically does use vinegar but it's not "vinegar based," it's a vinegar/tomato combo and quite different than eastern style. But anyway yeah vinegar style is my fav too, tho I love it all. Even the TX style, even if they don't know which animal to use. :wacko:

Edited by BeeR

I've eaten at the one in Destin FL, it wasn't bad. Here the best two places are The Country Tavern (five presidents have had their ribs flown to the Whitehouse, and it has officially been recognized by the Texas State Legislature), and Pat Gee's. Pat's is my favorite of the two, as the Country Tavern has gone down hill quite a bit in the last few years.

at the Tavern, the brother and sister took over and argue all the time. I think they finally kicked her azz out. It is a dance hall and you can bring in your own bottle. Used to be a liquor store next door. Now they put granite counter tops in the bathroom and cleaned up the place. There are no menus here and the sauce is awesome Beef ribs, too, not pork.

If your in St. Louis there is the big chain

http://www.bandanasbbq.com/HTML/home.htm

Then, there is the best bbq I have ever had, sorry Chief I wasn't a big Gates fan.

http://www.pappyssmokehouse.com/

I can't believe you put Bandanas in the same post as Pappys. JMO though. :wacko:

Also here in STL (actually just outside in St. Charles/West County) are Super Smokers, and my next door neighbor's place Lil Mickey's out here in the "stix" of an STL 'burb. Both are about 10 mins from my house. The Eureka location for SS's is near Six Flags so if you come in town and make a vacation of it with kids in tow, you can hit both on the same day. Ribs are wicked good. The guys that own Super Smoker's won some ribbons down in some of the Memphis in May festivals over the years. They're both good spots though.

http://lilmickeysbbq.com/index2.html

http://www.supersmokers.com/

I can't believe you put Bandanas in the same post as Pappys. JMO though. :wacko:

Also here in STL (actually just outside in St. Charles/West County) are Super Smokers, and my next door neighbor's place Lil Mickey's out here in the "stix" of an STL 'burb. Both are about 10 mins from my house. The Eureka location for SS's is near Six Flags so if you come in town and make a vacation of it with kids in tow, you can hit both on the same day. Ribs are wicked good. The guys that own Super Smoker's won some ribbons down in some of the Memphis in May festivals over the years. They're both good spots though.

http://lilmickeysbbq.com/index2.html

http://www.supersmokers.com/

Super Smokers use to be like Bandanas but they expanded too quickly and had to close all their places but the 2 you spoke of - Eureka and St. Peters. I like their sauces and buy them occasionally.