[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

new top top chef

Bier Meister

there is a contestant from vail........... Kelly liken (she has a restaurant by the name). i know her vaguely so will be pulling for her. she is so-so. there are a lot of other people i'd rather see represent the area. curious to see where she will stand.

Edited by Bier Meister

was just chatting with a friend... he told me she bombed on iron chef a month or so ago.

That's where I knew her from. It was driving me crazy that I couldn't pull where I had seen her. She got clubbed by Iron Chef Garces like a baby seal.

• 1 month later...
there is a contestant from vail........... Kelly liken (she has a restaurant by the name). i know her vaguely so will be pulling for her. she is so-so. there are a lot of other people i'd rather see represent the area. curious to see where she will stand.

Wow small world Bier. I was watching the show with my wife and I said "I know that woman" when they showed Kelly. Turns out she was a pretty good friend of my neice that I would see often when I would be over thier house after a round of golf. She always seemed to be a nice girl to me and I am also pulling for her.

Oh I guess I should have added that she used to live here in Pittsburgh.

Edited by Skippy

she seems to be pretty decent. between her and kenny, colorado's representin.

Wow small world Bier. I was watching the show with my wife and I said "I know that woman" when they showed Kelly. Turns out she was a pretty good friend of my neice that I would see often when I would be over thier house after a round of golf. She always seemed to be a nice girl to me and I am also pulling for her.

Oh I guess I should have added that she used to live here in Pittsburgh.

she seems to be pretty decent. between her and kenny, colorado's representin.

she is pretty nice (though the show is not depicting that). when we were moving back up from denver i spend a weekend up here interviewing. 1 night we went to kelly's. it was the off season so every place was pretty dead. we went with her chef's menu. she sat down with us for about 4-5 of the courses. glad she is doing well on the show.

seems like the front runners are kenny, kelly, and angelo.

Kelly did really well this week. :wacko: I think Kenny would have gotten the boot if he was not so solid up to this point. I think his past got him past this week.

That and the fact they they need to create "drama" between him and Angelo . . . Kenny will be around for quite awhile. . . makes for good TV.

That and the fact they they need to create "drama" between him and Angelo . . . Kenny will be around for quite awhile. . . makes for good TV.

This is really starting to piss off the wife and myself. I don't give a chit about the drama, it should be all about the food.

Agreed, but they do need to create drama so they keep certain people around longer . .

I disagree that Colicchio sells out his integrity by voting against more deserving chefs simply because less deserving chefs bring more drama.

I disagree that Colicchio sells out his integrity by voting against more deserving chefs simply because less deserving chefs bring more drama.

He is usually one of 4 judges.

And Bravo lists a disclaimer at the end when they are packing their knives stating that certain decisions are made by producers regarding outcomes. It is brief, but it is there . .:wacko:

And his integrity is based on the taste of food . . that no one else gets to taste but the judges. It isnt like some of the other shows that can be seen/heard by the audience. the most prevalent metric is TASTE, which none of us can verify . .

He is usually one of 4 judges.

And Bravo lists a disclaimer at the end when they are packing their knives stating that certain decisions are made by producers regarding outcomes. It is brief, but it is there . .:wacko:

Same for every contest show like this . . . remember season, I think, 2, when that dude Cliff laid out Marcel Vingeron and tried to shave his head? He got kicked off for that, producer's decision.

And his integrity is based on the taste of food . . that no one else gets to taste but the judges. It isnt like some of the other shows that can be seen/heard by the audience. the most prevalent metric is TASTE, which none of us can verify.

Yeah, and if you read the judges' blogs, they can illuminate decisions like this. I remember many times in season (5? Chicago), people would be screaming about that chick Lisa not getting eliminated, and the judges would come back time after time with, "Look, you didn't taste the food." The drama never enters into it, because the judges don't know about the drama. Many times, they're shocked to see the episode and find out what these guys were up to when they weren't serving food. Ripert in particular has been taken aback by Angelo's cockiness this season.

Peace

Ty

Kelly being greddy with the salt almost put her away this week. I don't blame her for not sharing and what chef goes on the road without salt and pepper. Having said that, she should have wasted it a different way then to drench the meat.

and how the hell did Angelo get away with sashimi???

Tom once said something along the lines of: "This is a COOKING contest!" when berating a contestant during a previous seasons. there's no cooking involved with sashimi, it only shows how well he can cut and plate fish.

he may be creative and talented, but it shows how much influence Bravo execs have when it comes to creating drama within a season (i.e. Kenny vs. Angelo).

Anyone remember when Drew Carey was a guest judge on Last Comic Standing. The execs made the final decision of who should make it to the house, picking some controversial a$$ over a funnier comic. Drew was so pissed and let everyone know. That's when they started showing those disclaimers on these "reality" shows.

From Colicchio himself:

http://www.bravotv.com/top-chef/blogs/tom-...peas-that-split

"First of all, if there’s a single viewer who still wondered whether the judges know what goes on behind the scenes (and make decisions with any of that in mind), I would hope that this incident would have laid that to rest forevermore. This episode surely proves that we judges absolutely never have access to behind-the-scenes conversations or goings-on, as there is no way on earth that we would blithely have judged the dishes as we did this week without delving into the matter of the creator of that puree. We just judge the food on the plates in front of us. Not even I knew about the controversy, even though I spent some time in the kitchen, as I had arrived there after Ed had gone searching for his pea puree and there was no mention of the issue to me by any of the contestants while I was there. The other judges and I first learned about it just as you did, by watching the episode this week, and I was not happy to learn that there had been any question of impropriety. I’m surprised, frankly, that the producers didn’t choose to depart from normal protocol and say anything to us to clue us in about the matter."

From Colicchio himself:

http://www.bravotv.com/top-chef/blogs/tom-...peas-that-split

"First of all, if there’s a single viewer who still wondered whether the judges know what goes on behind the scenes (and make decisions with any of that in mind), I would hope that this incident would have laid that to rest forevermore. This episode surely proves that we judges absolutely never have access to behind-the-scenes conversations or goings-on, as there is no way on earth that we would blithely have judged the dishes as we did this week without delving into the matter of the creator of that puree. We just judge the food on the plates in front of us. Not even I knew about the controversy, even though I spent some time in the kitchen, as I had arrived there after Ed had gone searching for his pea puree and there was no mention of the issue to me by any of the contestants while I was there. The other judges and I first learned about it just as you did, by watching the episode this week, and I was not happy to learn that there had been any question of impropriety. I’m surprised, frankly, that the producers didn’t choose to depart from normal protocol and say anything to us to clue us in about the matter."

While I am in the camp that thinks Alex took Ed's puree, I was thinking that was drama setup by the show. Stinky drama that would paint Alex is a very poor light but I just thought they were making the best of what could have happened. The more and more I think about it, (I watched that episode again on DVR), I am convinced he took Ed's puree. Should they not just step in and kick him to the curb for something like that?